Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

reg767

Feb 20, 2004, 8:09 AM

Post #1 of 8 (3970 views)

Shortcut

XALAPA - Veracruz

Can't Post | Private Reply
I just heard from a friend who briefly vistied the hillside and university city of Xalapa (Jalapa) near Veracruz. He liked it very much. Is there anyone living there that has any comments? Does anyone have any experience there?

Thanks.

Ed and Fran

Feb 20, 2004, 4:50 PM

Post #2 of 8 (3934 views)

Shortcut

Re: [reg767] XALAPA - Veracruz

Have you read the "Xalapa - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" thread on this forum? Last post was yesterday so it should be easy to scroll down the page and find it. You might also want to get in touch (through the private message system or email) with Roy Dudley, the "Gringo Jalapeno". He has lived and worked in Xalapa for a number of years and is probably the boards resident expert on Xalapa.

We've visited it several times and like the area, but we haven't lived there.

E&F

reg767

Feb 20, 2004, 5:19 PM

Post #3 of 8 (3930 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] XALAPA - Veracruz

Thanks, Ed & Fran. I am in contact with Jim. I appreciate your reply very much.

smokesilver

Feb 24, 2004, 7:23 PM

Post #4 of 8 (3877 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] XALAPA - Veracruz

I would also be one very interested in your comments about your lives and experiences, positive and negative, in the state of Veracruz. Little is heard from that area outside of an occassional mail from Roy Dudley.

raferguson

Feb 24, 2004, 8:52 PM

Post #5 of 8 (3868 views)

Shortcut

Like many people, I have visited Xalapa, but not spent any time there.

We have spent more time in the city of Veracruz, and it is one of our favorite spots in Mexico. The people are perhaps the friendliest in Mexico.

Xalapa is the state capital and a university town, near the coffee growing regions, very moist and high enough to be cool. The city of Veracruz is a large city on the coast, kind of a party town, crazy tonight due to Mardi Gras, but also a major port. Most of the Americans that we saw in Veracruz were living elsewhere in Mexico, and came to Veracruz on vacation! What does that say? A great city, in our view.

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

reg767

Feb 24, 2004, 8:56 PM

Post #6 of 8 (3866 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] XALAPA - Veracruz

Sure Rich - By the way, I enjoyed viewing your sculpture. It's truly excellent.

Xalapa and also TAXCO are of interest to me. have you been to Taxco? Thoughts in general?

Thanks - Bob

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Feb 24, 2004, 9:14 PM

Post #7 of 8 (3861 views)

Shortcut

As my little 2 year old granddaughter says "Aquí estoy...¡Aquí estoy!"(Here I am...here I am!) It always makes me feel good when someone wants to know about Xalapa, my home for the last 31 years, 30 of which spent with my wonderful jalapeña wife.

What I usually say is "One man's paradise is another man's hell" can also apply to Xalapa. Fortunately Xalapa is now my home...no doubt in my mind! Sometimes it is not paradise, but it never has driven me away. On the contrary, I cannot imagine living anywhere else.

I just got back from the Carnaval celebration in the village of Coyolillo, about 30 minutes from here in the drier sugar cane growing valley near Actopan, famous for its mangos. The village is inhabited by decendents of escaped slaves from Florida in the 1830's. Charles H. Rowell today was presenting his book which he kindly gave me a copy, dealing with its history. Hopefully I will write an article about Coyolillo since I have been visiting there for over 8 years and have many interesting pictures. I also have many other articles "en el tintero"(in the inkwell) which I very much want to share with you.

¿Quienes quieren que escriba yo articulos en español? Les prometo que me ayudará mi señora con mis faltas de ortografía.

Thanks to all of you for mentioning me and hopefully David McLauchlin will be contacting me again soon about monitoring a Veracruz/Gulf of Mexico page. When it starts I'll be looking forward to your active participation.

¡Hasta pronto, queridos amigos!
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

smokesilver

Feb 25, 2004, 7:17 PM

Post #8 of 8 (3808 views)

Shortcut

Re: ["El Gringo Jalapeño"] XALAPA - Veracruz

Go for it Roy. Do it. I have always enjoyed your comments about the Jalapa area. Only yesterday I requested that Ed & Fran give us more exposure to Veracruz(state). What a combination if you were able to make a 'formal' talk show happen(kidding) to your interested listeners. Personally I have never been to the Veracruz(state) area. I plan on doing so in the future. So, please, talk to us and thanks for the interesting tidbits of info which you supply.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4