Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish

Miguelito

Feb 15, 2004, 2:57 PM

Post #1 of 9 (2032 views)

Shortcut

Translate "caxoneria", please

Can't Post | Private Reply
I found the word in the context of describing a pipe organ in a church, the article is saying the organ is of the same "caxoneria" as the sacristy and is made of special woods. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Los que cantan oran dos veces! (Those who sing pray twice!)

thfarrell

Feb 15, 2004, 3:39 PM

Post #2 of 9 (1898 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mikelangford] Translate "caxoneria", please

Hi...

Based on the phonetic siimilarity of:
Javier
Xavier
rather than any expertise in Spanish, I'd go with:
cajonería.
1. f. Conjunto de cajones de un armario o estantería.

from the Real Academy website's dictionary at:
http://www.rae.es/

tom
---
"Beauty is in the i of the Beholder"
(Julia Mandelbrot)

PBGollaz

Feb 15, 2004, 3:51 PM

Post #3 of 9 (1885 views)

Shortcut

Re: [thfarrell] Translate "caxoneria", please

The word caxonería does not appear in the Diccionario de la Lengua Española. While it's not a 100-percent certainty, that would seem to indicate that the word may not exist. I wonder whether it might have been misspelled in the original article. My guess would be that it should be cajonería, which means a group of drawers or shelves in a wardrobe or closet and could be applied to other types of wooden constructions. I'm not at all familiar with the construction of organs (although I love the music) but perhaps the terminology could be applied to them, also. Any comments from others?

Patricio

Patrick
Zapopan, Jalisco, México

Miguelito

Feb 15, 2004, 5:01 PM

Post #4 of 9 (1870 views)

Shortcut

Re: [pbgollaz] Translate "caxoneria", please

I'm going to go with the 2 responses and assume "cajoneria" was meant. Though, in reference to a pipe organ, the terminology of "drawers" wouldn't apply, I would guess it's more relative to "cabinet making", possibly, or maybe the style of the case or console in trim, etc. Gracias a todo. Miguel

esperanza

Feb 15, 2004, 8:02 PM

Post #5 of 9 (1859 views)

Shortcut

Re: [pbgollaz] Translate "caxoneria", please

I agree; I spent a good while searching for that word this afternoon. I'll be interested to hear from Quevedo, but I too think that it should be cajonería. Even cajonería is not commonplace.

Thanks for a good challenge, Miguel.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

thfarrell

Feb 15, 2004, 9:00 PM

Post #6 of 9 (1858 views)

Shortcut

Hi...

Maybe a box, not a drawer?

If you goto:

http://dnausers.d-n-a.net/wk/organs/enniskillen.html
or
http://www.dobsonorgan.com/html/instruments/op80_construction.html

you can see some fotos of what's called an organ's "swell box" (where, I imagine, the sound "swells") - looks as complex as today's speaker technology. From the pictures, it's easy to see that the same woodworking techniques and materials used in the sacristy would be important here.

(my organ knowledge is as limited as my Spanish knowledge - this is just web-searching at work... :-)

tom
---
"Beauty is in the i of the Beholder"
(Julia Mandelbrot)

(This post was edited by thfarrell on Feb 15, 2004, 9:01 PM)

PBGollaz

Feb 16, 2004, 8:03 AM

Post #7 of 9 (1833 views)

Shortcut

This thread was running through my mind most of yesterday evening and I have two additional comments to add, to close my participation con broche de oro.

First, the juxtaposition of x and j is well documented (witness Méjico = México in Castillian Spanish).

Second, taking into account the roots of cajonería in the art of carpentry, it seems logical to me that the strict dictionary definition of the word might easily be rendered in colloquial speech as "cabinetry" or "woodworking." That would certainly work well within the context of the original article.

Patrick
Zapopan, Jalisco, México

quevedo

Feb 17, 2004, 6:03 PM

Post #8 of 9 (1818 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Cajonería, por supuesto. El español antiguo utilizaba mucho la X con el sonido de la J, como en el caso de Mexía, México, Xavier.

Anexo aquí la imagen de una cajonería de una sacristía del siglo XVIII, para ilustrar mejor a qué se refiere este sustantivo. Cajones (drawers) similares pudieran estar presentes también en el órgano del cual leyó usted la referencia. En este último caso, la cajonería se refiere además a todo el trabajo de madera que envuelve al mecanismo del instrumento musical.

Un saludo cordial,

Quevedo

(This post was edited by quevedo on Feb 17, 2004, 10:32 PM)

Miguelito

Feb 17, 2004, 6:12 PM

Post #9 of 9 (1904 views)

Shortcut

Gracias a todo!

I decided to use "cabinet work" as that seemed to apply the most logically. Thanks for the info on the juxtaposition of 'x' and 'j'. Regards, Michael

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4