Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

tanker116

Feb 7, 2004, 5:09 AM

Post #1 of 14 (2642 views)

Shortcut

Driving Down-Laredo

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'm planning on driving down for the first time the end of February, and according to the reference information I've been reading if you do not have a clear title to your vehicle you need a notarized authorization from the lien holder to get it SoB. Fat chance FoMoCo is going to provide such an item in the off chance I may never return NoB, and quit making my payments. Is the notarized statement in fact true, and if not what is required?

Try and play each shot to the best of your ability, one shot at a time-and take dead aim!

Harvey Penick

Carron

Feb 7, 2004, 8:38 AM

Post #2 of 14 (2619 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tanker116] Driving Down-Laredo

Most legitimate automotive finance companies in the US are familiar with this procedure and if your payments on your vehicle are current they will probably issue you the notarized letter of permission as a matter of routine. If you do not return your vehicle to the US at the end of your visit to Mexico, length of time here having been determined when you first cross the border and get your tourist visa (and post a bond either in cash or by US credit card), you will also be in serious trouble SoB.

Rolly

Feb 7, 2004, 9:21 AM

Post #3 of 14 (2613 views)

Shortcut

Acceptable proof of ownership includes not only the title but also the registration card. The title will show the lien holder information, but in some states the registration card does not have the lien notation. If that is true of your registration, then you can get a permit without dealing with the lien-holder letter. Otherwise, you will need the letter.

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Feb 7, 2004, 9:22 AM)

tanker116

Feb 7, 2004, 12:29 PM

Post #4 of 14 (2595 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Driving Down-Laredo

Thank you, the information is greatly appreciated.

Try and play each shot to the best of your ability, one shot at a time-and take dead aim!

Harvey Penick

tanker116

Feb 7, 2004, 12:51 PM

Post #5 of 14 (2590 views)

Shortcut

Just checked with FoMoCo and they tell me they will only issue for 90 days, but must have Mexico auto insurance first and I can only get the auto insurance in states bordering Mexico! If anyone knows of another avenue, since I'm in Kentucky, looks like I'll be walking!

Harvey Penick

PBGollaz

Feb 7, 2004, 2:12 PM

Post #6 of 14 (2579 views)

Shortcut

Harvey,

Check at http://www.mexadventure.com for two reputable Mexican insurance companies (with over $40 billion in assets) that will sell you Mexico insurance over the Internet. You can choose your level of coverage, get a free quote, pay by credit card and even print out your policy on a printer attached to your PC.

Good luck and happy trip!

Patrick
Zapopan, Jalisco, México

SteveInPVR

Feb 7, 2004, 2:49 PM

Post #7 of 14 (2569 views)

Shortcut

Harvey...I've always secured my insurance on line through Sanborn's, and you get those neat travel guides as a bonus! http://www.sanbornsinsurance.com/

Steve
Steve

tanker116

Feb 7, 2004, 8:30 PM

Post #8 of 14 (2549 views)

Shortcut

Re: [SteveInPVR] Driving Down-Laredo

I've gotten a number of leads, and I really appreciate it.

Harvey Penick

Miguelito

Feb 9, 2004, 8:30 AM

Post #9 of 14 (2510 views)

Shortcut

When I made preparations for my move to San Miguel de Allende, I got Mexican insurance over the inet from Lewis and Lewis. I was in San Antonio, Texas which has a Sanborn's agency and I checked with them but their quote was for some $700 while L&L was only $281 for the same coverage. L&L have an online application form which you can download and fax back with a cc number and it's all done. Regards, Mike

Los que cantan oran dos veces! (Those who sing pray twice!)

maesummer

Feb 11, 2004, 12:25 PM

Post #10 of 14 (2472 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carron] Driving Down-Laredo

Hi

I just want to warn you when you cross at Laredo. We were there last year at this time and were headed for Manzanillo. We got our insurance at Laredo and our money exchange. We were traveling to purchase a house there and we also had a certified check for the purchase and 4,000.00 Cash in US dollars. the lawyer we were dealing with wanted cash only. so we crossed the border on Feb 1 at 7 am. We no sooner got across the border , maybe 5 miles and were pulled over by the policia. They said we were speeding, which we were not. They told us we would have to leave our car there on the road and go with them to court, or we could pay them on the spot. We of course paid them, they had put my husband in the squad and would not let me out of our car. I gave them 70.00 and never got a reciept or a ticket or anything. Then they told us to follow them, which we did for about another 5 miles and then they beckoned us to go to the left where the road angled off and they disappeared. We drove another 5 miles and another squad pulled up behind us, there happened to be a Pemex station ahead so we headed for that and stayed there for about 30 minutes until the cop left. At that point I justed wanted to get back to the safety of the US and we went backed and crossed the border. Unfortunately, our dreams of living in Mexico in our retirement were smashed. I have been so disappointed ever since and have not been brave enough to try again. This had been our dream. If anyone has had this expereince please let me know

Thanks

Mae Summer
I am currently a special ed teacher and have been married to the same man fr 39 years. We travel a lot that is our passion along with collecting and selling antiques. We have three grown children and when our daughter got married last year in Playa del Carmen we fell in love with Mexico and and have traveled to many cities since. Would love to hear form anyone out there as we know we will eventually live there for part of the year. We are from the frozen north and want to live where we can see flowers and color all year long

Carron

Feb 12, 2004, 7:01 AM

Post #11 of 14 (2436 views)

Shortcut

Re: [maesummer] Driving Down-Laredo

What a bummer! And I know it must have been a very frightening experience for both you and your husband. In general Mexican speed limits tend to be much lower than on similar roads in the US and are marked in kilometers. The speedometer in our car has markings for both miles and kilometers and sometimes I find that can be confusing. Were you driving an expensive-looking vehicle which might have drawn attention? Did others k now how much cash you were carrying with you on your trip? Word of such things travels fast in certain Mexican circles.

Hope you are not totally turned off by Mexico and that you will give it another try in the future. Most of us who live here also have at least one horror story to tell.

rabbinormang

Feb 13, 2004, 7:31 PM

Post #12 of 14 (2384 views)

Shortcut

We just returned from a trip to Monterrey and Saltillo via Laredo. We got our insurance from Sanborn's via the internet, a certified letter of permission from our finance company for 6 months, copy of our registration. We had no problems except for the slowness and ineptness of the workers in the Nuevo Laredo offices. It took about two hours to complete the 15 minute transactions and get on our way. When we returned it was much faster as we were served by an intelligent and helpful young lady. Nuevo Laredo problems: no accurate, easy to use signs or directions in any language - requires a few "retornos", but fairly easy to negotitiate if you don't loose your cool like I almost did. I have lived in Saltillo and Guadalajara and have always crossed through Piedras Negras or Nogales without any delays. Have a good trip, but be careful of the PEMEX gas station attendants. They will try any trick to over charge you or steal. Watch them carefully.[email][/email]

tanker116

Feb 16, 2004, 3:59 PM

Post #13 of 14 (2333 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rabbinormang] Driving Down-Laredo

Since I have not seen additional comments I can only assume that the best route to Ajijic from San Antonio, TX is to cross at Piedras Negras rather than Laredo, take highway 57 to Monclova and hook up on the toll road (57) at Santa Cruz to San Luis Potos, then 80 to Guad. Do I have to go into the center of Guad to get onto highway 44 to Ajijic, or is there a cutoff South around the city? Also, if I cross the border around 7-8 AM how far should I expect to travel, and if I need to stop overnight where is the best place?

Harvey Penick

Rolly

Feb 16, 2004, 4:37 PM

Post #14 of 14 (2325 views)

Shortcut

You do not have to go downtown. 44 takes off from 80 faitly near the southeastern edge of GDL. Watch for signs to the airport which is on 44.

Good places to overnight are Saltillo, Matehuala and SLP.

Rolly Pirate

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4