Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

johanson

Feb 2, 2004, 11:07 AM

Post #1 of 21 (1665 views)

Shortcut

Lake Level 02-02-04

Can't Post | Private Reply
We've had another cool week in Ajijic. The water level has decreased another 2 cm this week for a total of 4 cm. We have another 19 +/- weeks until the rainy season starts.

So, for this season we have had an increase of 3.30 meteresand so far a decrease of 4 cm.

So far so good. But with hotter and drier weather, the lake level shall start decreasing more rapidly.

Please note that the officials measure the rainy season from the Nov 1st until the end of the following Oct.

I chose to measure the end of the rainy season when the lake stopped going up and started coming down about 2 weeks ago. So not only are my measurements less accurate than those of the officials, but I'm measuring over a different period of time.

(This post was edited by johanson on Feb 2, 2004, 11:22 AM)

NickP

Feb 2, 2004, 11:58 AM

Post #2 of 21 (1639 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Lake Level 02-02-04

Hi Pete,

As a former resident and small business owner to the area would you be so kind as to post or email me a lake view picture from your vantage point?

Sorry I missed you and the gang this year for Superbowl Sunday.

Nick

johanson

Feb 2, 2004, 1:13 PM

Post #3 of 21 (1619 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NickP] Lake Level 02-02-04

Welcome back to the forum Nick. I could just take a picture from my porch and email you. But I have a better Idea. I'll do a little work, post it in a file at my web site and thereby be able to put it on line for all to share. So give me a few days.

For those of you who don't remember, Nick used to run the local CIA outlet down here. He was on the first floor of the building in Ajijic where all of the antennas are.

Now the antennas were for a wireless Internet Service Provider, and the CIA stands for Cafe Internet Ajijic, or so we suspect. But Nick always did look like a 007 character.

johanson

Feb 4, 2004, 10:10 PM

Post #4 of 21 (1545 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NickP] Lake Level 02-02-04

Well it's about time I got around to posting a picture. It's probably too big and if so I am sorry. This is a picture taken a few days ago from the roof of my new house in upper Ajijic looking South, South East. What you see out there is not lake-bed but Lirio

Sorry if the color balance is off

Jerry@Ajijic

Feb 5, 2004, 6:22 AM

Post #5 of 21 (1529 views)

Shortcut

Pete,

That is a very good nighttime picture. Could you now take one during the day.

Jerry

mkdutch

Feb 5, 2004, 8:13 AM

Post #6 of 21 (1508 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jerry@Ajijic] Lake Level 02-02-04

Ouch!...that was a great zinger, Jerry...'Spose he even felt it going through?...8^). Pete, thanks for the pic. Hope this starts a trend, as pictures are a great way to convey the beauty that is lakeside. You must also have a great nightime view at your home's elevation.

Now a request - could anyone take a picture and post it here of the Chapala pier from the perspective of the old beer garden beach? (the Ajijic side of the pier). I believe that would most graphically show the change in water level back to the levels of the mid-90s. If a higher vantage point than the beach in that area could be found, it would be even better, I believe. TIA Dutch

johanson

Feb 5, 2004, 9:20 AM

Post #7 of 21 (1499 views)

Shortcut

Here's one I took later in the week, or was it photoshop?

Jerry@Ajijic

Feb 5, 2004, 2:21 PM

Post #8 of 21 (1464 views)

Shortcut

Pete, It is probably me but I can not get the new picture to come up.
Jerry

johanson

Feb 5, 2004, 2:32 PM

Post #9 of 21 (1469 views)

Shortcut

I am real bad at photoshop, but I just tried to lighten up the first photo and re-entered it into my "photo" folder on my web page. Both pictures should come up Jerry.

Is anyone else having trouble? I would rather ask, are other folks getting both pictures.

I know that when I go on line and hook up to MexConnect that the pictures come up on the screen. Now it might take a little while if you have a slow connection. The first picture is about 78 Kb and the second one is 205 Kb and would take about 3 times longer to load

Uncle Jack

Feb 5, 2004, 3:11 PM

Post #10 of 21 (1456 views)

Shortcut

I can see them both.....kinda like night and day.

uj

Papirex

Feb 5, 2004, 3:16 PM

Post #11 of 21 (1454 views)

Shortcut

Both pictures come up fine for me. They came up immediately, I do have 256 broadband. Good job on clarifying the second view.

Maybe too good. I showed it to my wife, her mother, and grandmother. They all told me we now have to go to Ajijic soon so they can see the lake again. One of my wife's aunts has lived there for 40 years or so. My wife spent many summer vacations there when she was a kid.

She remembers when it was a lake, not a pond :),and not noticably polluted. The last time we were there was 5 years ago. We parked our car in front of the bar where The American Legion meets, (or used too then) in front of the low rock wall there. As we got out of the car, my wife remarked that when she was a kid, our car would have been underwater.

The old boathouse on pileings in front of that bar was then high and dry, about 15 feet above the beach. She remembers when people used to tie their boats up to it, many years ago.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

johanson

Feb 5, 2004, 3:33 PM

Post #12 of 21 (1448 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RexC] Lake Level 02-02-04

I phoned the webhefe and he said the pictures did not show up on his browser. He said he would try to figure out what was wrong, Friday.

Please make a short post, stating you can or can't get the pictures. Thanks

Pete

Rolly

Feb 5, 2004, 3:38 PM

Post #13 of 21 (1447 views)

Shortcut

Hi Pete,

You did a nice job of processing the picture -- nice view and enticing as Rex said.

I have a couple of suggestions to make the pictures load faster for those of us still struggling with a slow dial-up. Resize the picture to about 400 pixels wide (yours is 640). Save the JPG file at a much lower file size -- say 2 or 3 when that box come up on the save.

Better, if you have PhotoShop 6, you can "Save for the Internet." This feature allows you to make very lean files. One of the problems with Photoshop JPG files is that they contain a thumbnail and other data not needed for the internet. The "Save for the Internet" strips out this stuff, thus making a much smaller file. You can see this on my website. Most of my pictures are 250 pixels wide and are save for the internet. This creates files generally less than 20Kb.

Rolly Pirate

HHERRINGTON

Feb 5, 2004, 3:42 PM

Post #14 of 21 (1445 views)

Shortcut

Have you ever tried Paint Shop Pro? Most of the common features of photoshop, only a small portion of the cost, and easier to learn. Of course you have photoshop so.....
----------------------------------------------------

Life is too complicated to be expressed in one liners.

johanson

Feb 5, 2004, 3:46 PM

Post #15 of 21 (1447 views)

Shortcut

Re: [HHERRINGTON] Lake Level 02-02-04

Thanks for the tips. I may be moderator of the Tech Forum, but I have a lot to learn in many areas. Yes I would love to use a simpler program like paint shop pro, and yes Rolly I will make the pictures smaller in the future.

Thanks again for the tips guys. Please keep them coming

Pete

Jerry@Ajijic

Feb 5, 2004, 6:18 PM

Post #16 of 21 (1421 views)

Shortcut

Pete, I am not sure what I was doing wrong before but it comes in as fine as frog hair. Good job..Jerry

johanson

Feb 5, 2004, 7:06 PM

Post #17 of 21 (1411 views)

Shortcut

I'm not sure you were doing anything wrong Jerry. I know the webjefe couldn't download either of the two pictures earlier tonight using both Int Explorer and Netscape. So who knows what is and or was happening. I'm glad you were able to finally get them.

The picture that you correctly IDed as being too dark was stored in a file in a web site of mine. I simply using photo-shop entered the file, got and adjusted the picture and replaced it. And all of a sudden the picture that appeared too dark now looks much brighter but way out of good color balance. It's really quite easy to do, I'm just not very good at it.

johanson

Feb 6, 2004, 10:05 PM

Post #18 of 21 (1345 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RexC] Lake Level 02-02-04

I should have answered you sooner about the water level around the boat house or pier in front of the Old Pasada in Ajijic where the American Legion met for a while. The water this year reached the pier and actually advanced maybe twenty feet toward shore. If you were to have waded to the most south easterly corner of the pier, the water would have been about a foot and a half deep. Its dropped about two inches so far this year, now that the rainy season is over.

Pete

(This post was edited by johanson on Feb 6, 2004, 10:06 PM)

Papirex

Feb 6, 2004, 10:21 PM

Post #19 of 21 (1337 views)

Shortcut

Thanks Pete, That's good news. My ladies all went to Mèxico yesterday for a few days. When they get back I can hear them now, planning our trip to to Ajijic. Doris often talks wistfully of how the lake used to be. Your pictures made three Mèxican ladies very happy.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

mkdutch

Feb 9, 2004, 8:08 AM

Post #20 of 21 (1273 views)

Shortcut

The color balance in that photo may be off, Pete, but I love it - the scene is almost surreal and dreamlike. Have you considered taking any pics of the Ajijic and/or Chapala pier to show the lake level there? That's what I use as a frame of reference when checking the level of the lake. TIA........Dutch

johanson

Feb 11, 2004, 8:52 PM

Post #21 of 21 (1209 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mkdutch] Lake Level 02-02-04

Dutch I never get over to the Chapala Pier. But I will take one of the Ajijic pier one of these days. I'm so lucky to be down here living on the upper limits of Ajijic at the point were the land behind me becomes the woods or what ever it's called. I certainly wouldn't call it a jungle.

The views are to die for. The pictures I posted were from my old and new home. They are next door to each other. It's really great to relax after a hard days work, or is that after a hard days play. I've been running around speaking poor spanish much of the day, and its really fun to sit down and look out at the lights of the cities surrounding the lake while listening to the same great radio station I used to in the car and at home when living in NW Washington now via my Star Choice Receiver (CIOC 98.5 The Ocean, from Victoria BC)

The great thing about lakeside is that you can have all the best of both cultures down here. The sad thing is that it is so easy to live as you did up north that many never learn spanish.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4