Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

ms mac

Jan 24, 2004, 7:34 AM

Post #1 of 15 (5550 views)

Shortcut

Heavy rains in Mazatlan?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Just read Mazatlan is getting some heavy rains. Say it isn't so!
ms mac

Marlene / Moderator

Jan 25, 2004, 2:40 PM

Post #2 of 15 (5526 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ms mac] Heavy rains in Mazatlan?

The weather on Friday was a bit Vancouver-like but it is really nice today. Every day is a good day in Mexico. Enjoy your trip.

JimOfMex

Feb 22, 2004, 12:50 PM

Post #3 of 15 (5461 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Heavy rains in Mazatlan?

Hey, take it easy on the rains! :-) I love rain and rain storms. I esp like a hot, sunny day that gives way to a down pour followed by more sun. Is the flora tropical in Mazatlan? Are there palms, etc? Are there annoying insect buzzing around and biting?

Marlene / Moderator

Feb 22, 2004, 1:48 PM

Post #4 of 15 (5456 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jimOfBoston] Heavy rains in Mazatlan?

Hi Jim,

We get some delightful (for those into rain) downpours in the rainy season, usually at night for some reason. This past summer and fall we received lots rain which was very welcomed by the farmers. One night last fall, a rain storm so strong hit us suddenly, making the journey home almost impossible. The water level in the streets can rise rather quickly making driving rather interesting. Cars were abandoned in the streets and people waded to higher ground.

As far as insects, we have some speedy little mosquitos here, but they do spraying which helps a little. Some people get bit, others aren't bothered. Part of life in many areas, not just the tropics. Yes, we do have palm trees as well as beautiful Bougainvillea, etc. My favorite thing is the gorgeous drive along the ocean to get from one end of Mazatlan to the other. Spectacular at any time of the day.

JimOfMex

Feb 22, 2004, 5:46 PM

Post #5 of 15 (5441 views)

Shortcut

Is there a danger of flash flooding in the area? When you say that you have everything that Pto. Vallarta has, are you including a gay social life? Gay beach? Are there musicians in the area so I can start a band? Can I buy a plot of land to build on, or is all of Mazatlan too close to the shore line?

Marlene / Moderator

Feb 22, 2004, 7:50 PM

Post #6 of 15 (5427 views)

Shortcut

Jim,

You will no doubt find whatever you are looking for in a city like this. We have so many miles of unspoiled, quiet beaches that you could probably do whatever you wish on them. This is a fairly large working port city that is being discovered as a retirement spot also. It is not all along the shoreline by any means, and each area is different.

The two links below are for 2 local gay bars online, one in the Golden Zone and one in el Centro Historico.

http://www.pepetoro.com/english/services.htm

http://www.vitrolasbar.com/

Are you kidding about musicians? If you can find a place in Mexico where there are NO musicians I would be very surprised. This country has so much talent it is unbelievable and this city is certainly no exception. My husband is a singer and bass guitar player in a popular local band. They are slowly but surely getting their first complete CD together and have big plans.

No, we don't get flash floods. Certain areas of the Golden Zone have slow drainage and the water collects quickly during a good downpour. Nothing life threatening here that I can think of other than sunburn and tequila perhaps. Since you mentioned you will be checking out Puerto Vallarta, you should really include a visit to Mazatlán as a comparison. The city (and her people) sells itself once you are here.

Hope this information helps a little.

JimOfMex

Feb 23, 2004, 4:41 PM

Post #7 of 15 (5400 views)

Shortcut

Thanks, Marlene. That was an ear full. I will definitely visit Mazatlán. Things are not fully planned yet. That will happen after my final week of work ... which is this week. I imagine I will be coming up with requests for info on rentals and sales once I finish absorbing everything.

JimOfMex

Feb 28, 2004, 12:03 PM

Post #8 of 15 (5360 views)

Shortcut

I'm not sure of which note to reply to in order for you, Marlene, to get a notice. I didn't reply to the final note in the thread because it was from me. Anyway, this was it! My last day at work was yesterday. Please tell me if my dream is at all feasible. Could I buy a few acres of land to build a community on? I would like to create a music and dance community. Not only do I love to dance, but I love to improvise at the keyboard interactively with improv dancers. I would probably need to be outside of city limits so the music doesn't disturb anyone. I would want to build so there would not have to be buildings. Could I get a chunk of land for $30,000 to $50,000? I'd also like for it to be within an hours drive of the beach.

Miguelito

Feb 29, 2004, 6:00 AM

Post #9 of 15 (5348 views)

Shortcut

If you're at all successful in this venture

I'd like to sign up. Regards, Michael

Los que cantan oran dos veces! (Those who sing pray twice!)

JimOfMex

Mar 3, 2004, 3:52 PM

Post #10 of 15 (5311 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mikelangford] If you're at all successful in this venture

Hi Michael, How serious are you about signing up? Probably, I won't start the community for at least a year. I'm not sure how it will look. It may be a few acres with single room apartments for rent or, possibly, purchase. I must research rules and regulations in whatever area I wind up. I believe there are a lot fewer of them in Mexico.

JimOfMex

Mar 3, 2004, 3:58 PM

Post #11 of 15 (5307 views)

Shortcut

Marlene, I'm starting to panic. Now that I'm actually close to arriving in Mexico, I'm getting a different range of prices. I'm beginning to wonder if I can afford it after all. I've typed up the following to describe my situation. Would you be good enough to read it and give me any thought you have? Thanks, Jim.

I currently own a 3 bedroom ranch-style house on 3/4 acre of land abutting a woods with the Concord River running through it. The house was build in 1960. It has a hot tub room, attached garage, family room, recreation room, laundry, workshop and sun deck. Crime in the area is little to none. It's quiet. I have great neighbors. My house is not luxurious, yet it's very nice. My mortgage payment is about $1,100/month including taxes and insurance (but not including utilities). I've lived here alone for 10 years.

I cannot stop working at high tech if I stay here. I need to be composing music instead of working at high tech. I don't want my life style to go down hill. I can only get about $1,300 per month in interest from my savings. Any more than that would start to tap into the principal.

I want basically what I have now, but moved to Mazatlan. Safety is the only reason I would want to be within Mazatlan ... and that may not be an issue, I don't know the area. Living outside the city might get me a lower cost of living. Probably, I would love the hot summer months of Mazatlan.

Am I dreaming? Should I just stay here and go back to work? I know I cannot place the burden of such a decision on you or anyone else, but maybe it will help you to understand my situation.

Marlene / Moderator

Mar 3, 2004, 4:14 PM

Post #12 of 15 (5299 views)

Shortcut

Yikes Jim, I am still reeling from your reminder and flashback of high mortgage payments! Glad I don't have that anymore!

I don't have a handle on where you are with the sale of your house, etc. but what I might suggest is that you take a "time out", follow your dream, and decide if you even like Mexico before you sell you house, especially if you are having doubts. The bus connects us to our neighboring cities and towns so easily and cheaply. If you don't like Mazatlŕn you can try something else up or down the coast. Mazatlŕn is a good choice for some, not for others. I like it because it has everything we need at a price we can afford. My husband being born and raised here and knowing that his schoolmates are now mechanics, dentists, doctors, etc. is helpful in keeping our costs down, but the fact is, I believe Mazatlan to still be a good deal on overall cost of living by comparison to many similar seaside cities.

Where there's a will, there's a way, if the proper planning is put in place. Good luck in your decision.

JimOfMex

Mar 3, 2004, 6:33 PM

Post #13 of 15 (5291 views)

Shortcut

Thanks, Marlene. I'm not having doubts about wanting to live in Mexico. I'm just worried I won't be able to afford it. I think I need to climb around on some real estate and rental boards. I need to see if I can find anything remotely like I have here that I can rent in the Mazatlan area.

JimOfMex

Mar 4, 2004, 7:42 AM

Post #14 of 15 (5267 views)

Shortcut

Marlene, You do real estate, don't you? Do you know of any rentals that sound remotely like my current home at, say, $500 to $600 in the Mazatlan area? Can I believe the prices I find on real estate websites? My fear is that a given piece of property will be much higer if advertised on a website than it would be if I found it myself while living there.

Marlene / Moderator

Mar 4, 2004, 7:52 AM

Post #15 of 15 (5265 views)

Shortcut

Hi Jim,

No I don't sell Real Estate. Like I suggested, you probably have to come down like I did when I was first looking. Get the feel, check out the possibilities and if the right property is within your grasp, go for it. Mazatlan still has bargains, but you really need to see for yourself to see if they fit your specific needs. We have all price ranges in various areas. What suits some, may not suit you and vice versa. That is about all I can tell you. Check it out for yourself.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4