Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

N. Lara

Jan 17, 2004, 9:14 AM

Post #1 of 2 (1525 views)

Shortcut

3rd week of 2/04 in Michoacan

Can't Post | Private Reply
My 82 year old father, husband and I will be spending a week in Michoacan at above time on our way to visit family in Guanajuato. We will start in Morelia and have a rental car. Of course we would like to visit the butterfly sanctuaries and Patzcuaro. Any other recommendations? My husband and I would have no problem hiking the mountains but I am concerned about my father who is spry but uses a wheeled walker for a bad knee.

Muchisimas gracias, N. Lara from Oregon

jennifer rose

Jan 19, 2004, 6:44 AM

Post #2 of 2 (1498 views)

Shortcut

Re: [N. Lara] 3rd week of 2/04 in Michoacan

Can't Post |
I'd recommend that your father bag the butterflies. The town has some interest in and of itself, so he might enjoy just hanging out while you explore the terrain. IMHO, it's not exactly the right locale for someone armed with a walker.

A cold front -- yes, snow again -- has hit the butterfly refuges. That should all be past by the time you arrive.

Patzcuaro's centro and the area near the Basilica should be easily navigable for your father, as well as Morelia.

The Michoacan Index http://www.mexconnect.com/.../michoacanindex.html has a host of resources.

One noteworty sight not mentioned is Tupataro, midway between Morelia and Patzcuaro, which should definitely be on your list.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4