Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Stephanieann

Jan 10, 2004, 6:37 PM

Post #1 of 5 (2266 views)

Shortcut

June 2004 trip

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello all. I haven't been to Mexico in 25 years. I used to go with my family for 3 weeks each winter as a teen. Now my 2 sons are 20 & 16 and I want to go back and show them the love I had for this country that still comes up in conversation. I have been reading and researching guidebooks (some a little out of date on prices I think), and searching the web. My husband and I will be doing this as a real roughing it experience. We have to go in June because of teenager conflict so we plan on leaving around the 11th of June. We have figured the insurance cost and gas and toll's etc. and have an idea of what to expect in general. We are used to camping and roughing it and plan on doing some free camping say on the beach. Plan on driving straight through in one day (early start) from Nogales to as close to Mazatlan as light will allow. We used to do it in 2 but the days will be longer and the roads are better and we have multiple drivers. We opted out of taking our pop up trailer and doing the tent thing and sometimes finding cheap hotels & campgrounds. We plan on touring all of the smaller villages around the loop road from Mazatlan over the Sierra Madres to Zacatacas and then down to Guadalahara then share my old time love affair with San Blas. (Will probably get a good room there so my husband will survive the jejeenes. He's allergic) Our focus is to let them see some of the non tourist side of the country and really feel the beauty of the people and country. We will of course spend some time at the water because they are guys. Anyway. I could sure use some advise on cheaper fun. I know to find rooms near the marcado and have no worries about noise and am more interested in having a bathroom and shower on occasion. Much of the info I have found doesn't list this type of info. I did hear that June may be crowded with students out of school. Will we have trouble finding cheap rooms or campgrounds? We hope between doing free and rooms both to not go over 20.00 a night for an average. Is this unrealistic? Also cool things to see and do ideas. I saw a show last night on a village somewhere by Zacatacas where they have a exhibit of mummified bodies that I found interesting but I didn't catch the name? Anyone know what this might be? Also we will be in the country about 20 days. Driving a 97 Mercury mountaineer and we all speak only a little (very little) Spanish but are working with tapes as we speak. We can splurge on special things and alter our trip if there is something tempting to do so. We are pretty fluid on our plans at this point. Any advise would be so much appreciated. We live in Kenilworth Utah (close by arches National Park) If anyone is ever coming this way and needs a friend to show you the secret pleasures around here we'd be glad to return the favor for any help you could give is planning our trip. Thank you

Esteban

Jan 11, 2004, 7:18 AM

Post #2 of 5 (2236 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Stephanieann] June 2004 trip

When in Mazatlan go to the hotel Lerma. It's about 3 or so blocks inland from where all the fishermen have their boats on the Malecon. Lots of cheap eating establishments nearby and secure parking. It's hard to beat especially with the parking. 981-2436
622 Calle Simon Bolivar

Cost: about 100 pesos a night for a double.

Stephanieann

Jan 11, 2004, 9:39 AM

Post #3 of 5 (2211 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] June 2004 trip

Thank You Esteban. Your information will be very helpful. If you think of anything else that may be useful please let me know. Thanks again.

Stephanie

Esteban

Jan 11, 2004, 9:51 AM

Post #4 of 5 (2208 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Stephanieann] June 2004 trip

Actually, San Blas has improved and you'll find that the jejenes are not bad, especially in the summer. Most of the streets are paved now and there is an aggressive anti mosquito campaign taking place there. It has been going on for the last few years. The bugs are not bad like they used to be. Of course if you go over to surf at Manachten Bay, it's still the same ol buggy place. The beach in San Blas proper is great. In fact the last hurricane cleaned it up and everything is bright and new. Still easy to find good inexpensive hotels although I can't remember their names. The banana breads sold throughout the town are the best I've ever had.

David Eidell

Jan 12, 2004, 5:25 PM

Post #5 of 5 (2143 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] June 2004 trip

Esteban is correct except that this winter seems to be extra nasty for jejenes. A neighbor of mine who arrived a week ago complained that they were eaten alive in San Blas. Sadly I am allergic to jejenes like so many others and I have found little except tiny dabs of very hot water onto the welts that can temper the fire and the itch. DEET works, Pennyroyal Oil works, and Crocodile works to avoid the buggers. Esteban mi amigo, you are so fortunate to not be allergic to the little monsters! Ayi! Vamos A Guatemala!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4