Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Madeline

Jan 9, 2004, 6:31 PM

Post #1 of 2 (5076 views)

Shortcut

Looking for New Home

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am very interested in the possibility of making Mexico my new home. I want to become fluent in Spanish [I'm a formerly so-so speaker who hasn't used it in decades] and I want to live in a city for the cultural goodies, but not a huge one. I don't especially want to live in a place that is crawling with Americans, either (no offence intended). I've heard and read some wonderful things about Xalapa (Jalapa). Does anyone out there have insights about Xalapa or thoughts about other places to look into?

Carol Schmidt

Jan 9, 2004, 8:21 PM

Post #2 of 2 (5065 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Madeline] Looking for New Home

Can't Post | Private Reply
If you're looking for an artsy city without too many gringos, I was very impressed with Oaxaca on a short visit there last month. I was told by various people there were 500-1000 gringos in a town of somewhere around 300,000, and that the town is definitely not as accommodating to English speakers as San Miguel.

Do lots of research on the town, it has its drawbacks, but it sure was lovely and artsy! (Big drawback--it's not an easy drive out of its mountainous location to another big city as we can do from San Miguel.)

Carol Schmidt

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4