Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Marv

Jan 7, 2004, 9:26 AM

Post #1 of 16 (1998 views)

Shortcut

NY License plates in Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi, We will be moving to Mexico sometime in the next six months. We live in New York State. New York is the only state that makes you turn in your plates before you can cancel your car insurance. Are there any other New Yorkers down in Mexico who brought your car across with New York Plates? How did you handle it? Any suggestions for us? We have heard you can get a Mexican license plates, but have heard horror stories about the length of time it takes, the cost for such plates and that it is almost impossible.

We would like to keep our plates from NY but worry about if we drive the car back into the states what would happen.

We would appreciate all of your help and suggestions!

El Gringo Nuevo

Jan 7, 2004, 9:54 AM

Post #2 of 16 (1986 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marv] NY License plates in Mexico

Greetings Marv, the first place I would think you'd seek an accurate answer is with the motor vehicle folks in your state. Good luck

Adios

Marv

Jan 7, 2004, 12:37 PM

Post #3 of 16 (1964 views)

Shortcut

Re: [El Gringo Nuevo] NY License plates in Mexico

Dear El Gringo Nuevo,

We tried contacting our MVD and they could not give us anything except that it is,New York State Law that we must turn in our license plates in order to cancel our insurance.

I suppose we could keep our New York plates and just let the insurance lapse but, what if we would like to come back into the STATES someday.I am afraid there would be problems if we were stopped by the police.

We thankyou very much for the input,hopefully someone who has brought their auto into Mexico will have some more ideas.

Many Thanks, Marv

mexigrl

Jan 7, 2004, 5:55 PM

Post #4 of 16 (1941 views)

Shortcut

Hi Marv,

I would consider keeping basic liability on your vehicle for the time being. Mine is something like $50.00 for 6 months. You can not have a Mexican plated vehicle until you have the proper visa and that usually takes some residency time (unless you already have a visa). In any case you will need your insurance as long as you are in the US so you must have plates on your car for the drive to Mexico. Check with your insurer and see what options are.

Buen Suerte,

Mexigrl

Rolly

Jan 7, 2004, 6:12 PM

Post #5 of 16 (1933 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexigrl] NY License plates in Mexico

Actually, Mexigrl, one can have a Mexican plated car anytime with what ever visa status -- just buy one. But if you are talking about putting Mexican plates on your USA car (I think that is what you really intended), then time in country and visa status still have nothing to do with it. If your car is not on the prohibited make/model list, it is remotely possible to get legal Mexican plates. There is a lot of paperwork and a big-time import fee. Nearly everyone I have heard speak about it has said that the hassle and costs make it very unattractive. And yout Mexican insurance would go up -- rates are higher for Mexican plates than for out-of-country plates. Odd, isn't it?

Rolly Pirate

jennifer rose

Jan 7, 2004, 6:37 PM

Post #6 of 16 (1927 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
You speak of cancelling your car insurance. Investigate the possibilities of suspending it, as well as the prospects for changing your residency to a state with more favorable licensing terms.

mexigrl

Jan 7, 2004, 7:25 PM

Post #7 of 16 (1920 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] NY License plates in Mexico

Thanks for the info Rolly. Yes, I did mean changing the plates from U.S. to Mexican. Didn't realize that no visa status was required. At any rate it sounds like a true hassle. I've noticed here in SMA that there are tons of Texas plates vehicles that belong to the locals. Would this be because of insurance as you mentioned - or the price of cars in the US? Lots of hassles with cars - it seems easiest to me just to keep my US plates but then I am not full time.

Mexigrl

Esteban

Jan 8, 2004, 6:49 AM

Post #8 of 16 (1902 views)

Shortcut

What Rolly says is not necessarily true. Each state in Mexico has it's own vehicle rules. Here in Sinaloa, in order to own a Mexican plated car, you have to have at least an FM-3 and a Mexican drivers license. Check with the state officials to see what you can do.

Marv

Jan 8, 2004, 9:37 AM

Post #9 of 16 (1874 views)

Shortcut

Dear Mexigirl: Thanks for your input. We did check with our insurance company about basic liability only. Was going to be a lot more than $50 for six months, about $300 we were quoted; however, if we have to we will go that route.

Thanks for your assistance!

Marv

Jan 8, 2004, 9:43 AM

Post #10 of 16 (1868 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] NY License plates in Mexico

Dear Jennifer Rose: Thanks for the input. Do you know anyone who has gotten plates in Texas or one of the border states to Mexico? I called one office in Texas, but I was given the idea that we had to reside for at least 30 days before we could do that. Do you know anyone from out of the state of texas that has gotten plates in Texas, New Mexico or Arizona? Just an idea,,,,

Thanks!

Marv

Jan 8, 2004, 9:44 AM

Post #11 of 16 (1868 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] NY License plates in Mexico

Thanks fior the input Rolly, Much appreciated!!!

mexigrl

Jan 8, 2004, 10:48 AM

Post #12 of 16 (1851 views)

Shortcut

Perhaps check with other insurance companies? I use Allstate and mine is about $20 per month right now while I am out of the country.

Buen Suerte

Mexigrl

Marlene

Jan 8, 2004, 4:33 PM

Post #13 of 16 (1826 views)

Shortcut

Marv, if you have family in another State that would probably be your solution. Many people use relatives or friends north of the border address for receiving packages, mail, bills etc while living in Mexico. I would think it would be fairly easy to change your vehicle registration, insurance etc. over to a new address; somewhere from which mail could be couriered or otherwise sent on to you as it accumulates. It is a good suggestion since it sounds like the State you live in now complicates the process somewhat.

Georgia

Jan 18, 2004, 2:34 PM

Post #14 of 16 (1757 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] NY is a BAD NEWS state in this regard

This is a lose-lose state in regard to the auto insurance. Here's the deal: if you want to keep your New York State plates you must carry at least the minimum liability insurance on your NY plated car. You can not cancel or suspend the insurance - unless of course you bring in the plates. The only option is to let the insurance simply lapse, but then you won't be able to renew the plates and when you want to drive back in to the US you don't have valid registration.

Try to register your car in a more friendly state - like Texas. That will be our solution.

johnv

Jan 28, 2004, 9:31 AM

Post #15 of 16 (1693 views)

Shortcut

Being an ex-New York resident living in Mexico, I solved this problem simply and cheaply. I stopped in Brownsville and rented a motel room and a private P.O. Box. I then went to Texas motor vehicle and used the adress of the motel as a residence (because that was where I was living on the day that I made application) and the P.O. Box as a mailing adress in order to obtain plates and a driver's license. In Texas it is possible to purchase a one month insurance policy, which covered me in that aspect. Once in Mexico I just let everything expire, as expired US plates are legal indefinately here on an FM-3. I use Lewis and Lewis out of Beverly Hills, CA for my Mexican Insurance. Once the Texas Title is forwarded to you in Mexico by the private P.O. Box service you can let the P.O. Box expire also. After 4 years when the Texas driver's license will expire, simply obtain a Mexican driver's license.

furbur1

Jan 28, 2004, 3:10 PM

Post #16 of 16 (1672 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johnv] NY License plates in Mexico

Can't Post |
I know they have never asked me or my friends to show a driver's license when getting your vehicle registration permit at the border, but in Mexico City (where a lot of people can renew under their FM3), they have asked for a current U.S. or foreign driver's license, not a Mexican license.

You are right about the other stuff, Texas is an easy state and I also have heard (as mentioned in this thread) that Florida is also a generous registration state.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4