Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Peter Carpenter

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #1 of 19 (2727 views)

Shortcut

Cars

Can't Post |
This site is so interesting and informative, I look it up every other day. Cars are a big issue.......Does anyone down there actually own a car, bought and licensed in Mexico? Would that not save alot of problems? Set me straight. Thanks. Venice FL.

Chris

Post #2 of 19 (2720 views)

Shortcut

Cars

Can't Post |
You need to buy something old to save on the taxes. With new cars the gov charges you a percentage of the purchase price tax for I think several years after you buy it!

Bill

Post #3 of 19 (2720 views)

Shortcut

Cars

Can't Post |
A Mexican car will cost you more to buy here than it will in the states. Then there is the yearly hassle with getting your license plates renewed.<p>If you have an American car just cross the border, get your FMT, good for 180 days (if they grant you that time and they usually do), pay a small fee and before your six months is up get a FM3. Then your car is here legally as long as your FM3 is up to date.<p>It is quite easy to get an American model car repaired here. <p>US and Canada license plates do not have to be renewed in order to drive here.<p>To me this is far easier than buying a car in Mexico. Getting plates renewed every year and what your really buying is an American car. So I don't see an logic in paying more for a car here with all the hassles that come with it.

Giants Fan

Post #4 of 19 (2719 views)

Shortcut

Cars

Can't Post |
but don't used cars in Mexico reflect the higher cost of new cars? wouldn't you recover most of the higher cost when you sell it?

Rolly

Post #5 of 19 (2719 views)

Shortcut

Cars

Can't Post |
:but don't used cars in Mexico reflect the higher cost of new cars? wouldn't you recover most of the higher cost when you sell it?<p>Maybe. But you may not be able to sell it when you want to. Sometimes cars take a long time to sell. I have a friend who has been trying to sell his Mexican-plated pickup for a year.

Werner

Post #6 of 19 (2718 views)

Shortcut

Cars

Can't Post |
I own a Mexican plated car, yes its a bid of a hassle to get your early renewal, but if you choose the right time of the day its not that bad, similar to paying your annual property taxes. I find the benefit of a mexican plated car is that you do not stand out as a foreigner and are less a target when moving around, especially if you travel a lot around the country. The mechanic of older mexican cars are also more simple than the US manufactured once, in my case my 82 Crown Victoria has a much simpler engine than the equivalent US models.

Giants fan

Post #7 of 19 (2720 views)

Shortcut

what's involved in bringing your car into Mexico?

Can't Post |
a friend told me to bring your US car into Mexico under an FM 3 that you have to take it back over the border every so often to renew the permit. also, can you sell your car in Mexico?

Rolly

Post #8 of 19 (2719 views)

Shortcut

what's involved in bringing your car into Mexico?

Can't Post |
:a friend told me to bring your US car into Mexico under an FM 3 that you have to take it back over the border every so often to renew the permit. also, can you sell your car in Mexico? <p>With an FM3, you do not have to return to the border "every so often." The permit is good as long as your FM3 is valid, including renewals.<p>With an FMT, your car permit is good only as long as your FMT is valid, max of 180 days. Then you will have to return to the border.<p>No, you cannot sell your car in Mexico.

Peter

Post #9 of 19 (2719 views)

Shortcut

what's involved in bringing your car into Mexico? Attention Rolly

Can't Post |
Did I start something here, concerning cars? What about buying a Volks. made in Mexico?.....So, if I have an FM3 in my possession when I get to the border, and the car, in both (wife & I) names, as I have read on this site, is what you have to do. I will not have any problems keeping the car in Chapala, for as long as I want, W/O returning to the border. We plan on renting as we look to buy. Insurance at the border....RIGHT? It is a 2001 Honda Accord. Would there be any problems with repair work? Thanks....peter

Rolly

Post #10 of 19 (2718 views)

Shortcut

Repairs in Mexico...

Can't Post |
Mexican mechanics have the reputation of being about to fix anything and keep to going forever. The only hold up sometimes is getting parts from some other country -- it's doable, but usually slow.<p>If you want to go over the car requirements one more time, click here

Bill

Post #11 of 19 (2721 views)

Shortcut

Returning to the border

Can't Post |
Since the border became computerized you can no longer do the Tourist Visa and then do the border run every six months. Besides, it's just so much easier to get a FM3 here and it covers your car for a year and every year that you renew.

Rolly

Post #12 of 19 (2719 views)

Shortcut

Returning to the border

Can't Post |
:Since the border became computerized you can no longer do the Tourist Visa and then do the border run every six months.<p>Bill, do you mean they are now enforcing the 180 days in/180 days out rule?<p>I have not heard anyone report any problems with that.

Bill

Post #13 of 19 (2719 views)

Shortcut

Returning to the border

Can't Post |
Yes they started about 9 months ago and as they become even more computerized you are taking a big risk leaving and then expecting to get back in again. Most people gave up on that idea and now just get the FM3. In the long run you probably same money, time and the hassle.

giants fan

Post #14 of 19 (2718 views)

Shortcut

doesn't Jack have a point then?

Can't Post |
if you have to drive your car back and forth over the border, with all the additional mileage, maybe there is a point when it might cover the extra cost of buying a local car, particularly if you're rich, like I guess Jack is

jack

Post #15 of 19 (2718 views)

Shortcut

Cars

Can't Post |
true, but over the 5-10 year life of a car the additional expense compared with the complexities of having an imported car, plus the ease of service etc.etc isn't all that great, in my opinion. it really depends on someone's budget, whether the higher cost is worth the savings in aggravation. for me it is

Bill

Post #16 of 19 (2718 views)

Shortcut

Complexities of an imported car??

Can't Post |
I don't understand. I drove down with a 3 year old Ford car. I paid a small fee at the border. I have not paid anything else since, nor have I had any problem with repairs and there are numerous Ford dealerships in Guad.<p>Am I missing something here? I do not understand what you mean by complexities. Could you elaborate on this a bit please.

jack

Post #17 of 19 (2718 views)

Shortcut

depends on the car

Can't Post |
""

jack

Post #18 of 19 (2718 views)

Shortcut

we bought a car in Mexico

Can't Post |
the paperwork is easier than bringing a US car in, but prices are higher

Peter

Post #19 of 19 (2718 views)

Shortcut

we bought a car in Mexico

Can't Post |
I missed your reply before I sent in my mes. this evening, to Rolly. FMT...FM3...Insur. at border, etc, etc. You are probably right. We have no plans of ever returning north, (except to visit), and we would fly. Are we talking about big buck's here, for a car purchase in Mexico? Or Could 25T U.S. get us a car. Thanks Jack.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4