Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

Louis Zietz

Dec 23, 2003, 6:30 PM

Post #1 of 6 (2461 views)

Shortcut

Nueva Laredo to Mazatlan, Winging it....

Can't Post |
Are there any small non-corporate hotels around Durango and Mazatlan? I'm not cheap I just don't go for resorts. Thanks.

P.S.

We'll be leaving day after Christmas.

Marlene / Moderator

Dec 23, 2003, 9:34 PM

Post #2 of 6 (2451 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Louis Zietz] Nueva Laredo to Mazatlan, Winging it....

Can't Post | Private Reply
Mazatlan is the King in that department, as far as Mexican beach resorts go! No Hiltons, no Sheratons, no Mariotts. Not that great for tourism on a global basis. But good for bargain seekers. Name your price, you shall find it.

ET

Dec 23, 2003, 10:27 PM

Post #3 of 6 (2448 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Nueva Laredo to Mazatlan, Winging it....

Marlene writes:
Mazatlan is the King in that department, as far as Mexican beach resorts go! No Hiltons, no Sheratons, no Mariotts.....

Not being a big chain hotel fan nor user of "resort" hotels, this never dawned on me until the above was posted, but it's very true. Is this the machinations of Julio Berdegué, or is there another story behind this? Anybody know?

Marlene / Moderator

Dec 23, 2003, 10:35 PM

Post #4 of 6 (2447 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ET] Nueva Laredo to Mazatlan, Winging it....

No, you have pretty much nailed it as far as local lore goes. Costly to Mazatlan's tourist industry, I might add.

Louis Zietz

Dec 24, 2003, 11:53 AM

Post #5 of 6 (2433 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Nueva Laredo to Mazatlan, Winging it....

Can't Post |
Marlene,thanks for answering. We pulled off a great devil may care trip in Baja, (during 911 unfortunately), which means we had little or no reservations and just picked the hotels as we went. We'll be coming into Mazatlan on the 29th of December planning to stay until Jan 1 with no reservations. Would this be risky at this time of year due to everything being sold out? If you know the East Cape region of Baja you may be familiar with little fishing hotels like Rancho Leonero ,Spa Buenavista, and Punta Colorado. Another of our favorites is Hotel Los Barriles. This type lodging and ammenities is what we like so if you can advise anything as I've described in the Mazatlan area it would be greatly appreciated.

Marlene / Moderator

Dec 24, 2003, 3:27 PM

Post #6 of 6 (2420 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Louis Zietz] Nueva Laredo to Mazatlan, Winging it....

I am not familiar with those properties, however if you come to Mazatlan and look in Playa Norte area, which is not far from el Centro , you should find something more reasonable than in the tourist area, while still being across the street from the ocean. There are many hotels popular with Mexicans on vacation in that area, and they don't pay Golden Zone prices. One of my favorites is the Hacienda, however there are many others in the vicinity. The prices may have been raised for the season, and if you get really stuck send me a private message and I will make some other suggestions to you depending on your price and amenities criteria.

Have a great adventure!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4