Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Ol' Gringo

Apr 6, 2004, 6:22 PM

Post #26 of 29 (1700 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carol Schmidt] Moderator: We're NOT a dating service!

| Private Reply
Any new info. on "El Chupacabra?" He roams in your area Carol!!!!!

Carol Schmidt

Apr 7, 2004, 8:32 AM

Post #27 of 29 (1678 views)

Shortcut

Bring me up to date: who's El Chupacabra?

| Private Reply
I get it that the name means drunken old goat, but is this a legend or a specific person? I've seen a few who would meet the description lurching down the streets late Saturday nights. I'd guess whoever he is, he frequents El Cucaracha? I've never been to that bar but hear tales.

Carol Schmidt, not one for the bar scene any more

esperanza

Apr 7, 2004, 9:04 AM

Post #28 of 29 (1671 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carol Schmidt] Bring me up to date: who's El Chupacabra?

| Private Reply
El Chupacabras (I always heard it with the 's') is not a drunken old goat, but rather is a mythical figure from the mid-1990s which allegedly came into a herd of cows/goats/etc muy de la madrugada (in the middle of the night) and sucked their blood till they were dead and desiccated. During a period of about a year or so the chupacabras was the legend of the hour; little children were threatened with him if they didn't behave, there were Tshirts of every description, and there were many jokes about this creature. The name means 'goat sucker'.

Some people surmised that the chupacabras was a metaphor for the Mexican government, which in those days was in the middle of the horrible Salinas debacle and the subsequent peso devaluation which left so many in financial devastation.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Apr 7, 2004, 9:05 AM)

Carol Schmidt

Apr 7, 2004, 9:06 AM

Post #29 of 29 (1669 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carol Schmidt] Bring me up to date: who's El Chupacabra?

| Private Reply
I've been had. A chupacabra or chupicabra is a legendary monster that supposedly sucks the blood from goats, though the lore goes hither and yon and some say aliens brought the monster to earth. Here's one site on it: http://www.kingkongvsgodzilla.com/chupa/whatis.html

Okay, this thread has gone hither and yon, far from the original topic, for far too long, so I'm locking it. Start new threads if you want to pick up on one of the many topics this thread has covered.

Carol Schmidt
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4