Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

whersh

Dec 11, 2003, 2:36 PM

Post #1 of 7 (4537 views)

Shortcut

Wallpaper

Can't Post | Private Reply
Although I certainly haven't seen a great number of homes in the Lake area, I noticed that not a single one of those I had seen had rooms which were wallpapered. Painted murals, yes. Wallpaper, no.

Do insects consider wallpaper paste haute cuisine? Is the paper itself tasty?

MaryClaire

jennifer rose

Dec 11, 2003, 2:51 PM

Post #2 of 7 (4526 views)

Shortcut

Re: [whersh] Wallpaper

Can't Post |
Wallpaper requires a special wall preparation of gesso or sheetrock, both of which create additional expense in construction when the usual method of construction is plaster over brick.

That said, wallpaper is sold and applied in Mexico, albeit sparingly. My dining room features a world map as wallpaper -- actually two world maps I bought from Hammacher Schlemmer. It's been up for about five years now, and we've had absolutely no problem with insect damage. After the paper was hung and dried, we applied several cans of matte-finish clear protective spray.

If you'll look on Rolly's construction page, several of the units in one of his construction projects features a paper mural.

Rolly

Dec 11, 2003, 3:57 PM

Post #3 of 7 (4516 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Wallpaper

Actually, we have not hung the wallpaper murals yet. We haven't been able to find someone to do the work. We may try it ourselves later.

Of the five murals we ordered, three came already infested with worms that had eaten large holes in the paper. We had so much trouble getting the murals from a company in the USA who had ordered them from a manufactured in Germany that we gave up on trying to reorder. So we have two murals to try to hang one of these days. Don't hold your breath.

Rolly Pirate

jennifer rose

Dec 11, 2003, 4:47 PM

Post #4 of 7 (4504 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Wallpaper

Can't Post |
I'd read about how to hang wallpaper, but since it was sort of important to get every page of the map in the right order, I looked for a pro. Finally, I hit upon the idea of using HomeMart's customer service folks, never mind I didn't buy the wallpaper from HomeMart. I simply bought enough other merchandise in an amount equivalent to what the requisite amount of wallpaper would've cost, bought the paste and hanging materials from them, and they sent out a wallpaper hanger. Along with an architect to inspect the work. Total price for labor: $300 M.N. If you have HomeMart nearby, it's worth exploring.

Rolly

Dec 11, 2003, 5:48 PM

Post #5 of 7 (4498 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Wallpaper

We tried HomeMart. They wouldn't tell us the name of their hanger. They said if bought paper from them, they would arrange to have it hung. We didn't like their attitude (she was pretty sassy) or their paper, but we have talked of buying something from them anyway just to get our hands on the guy. I want to finish the current project first. Then I want to take a long vacation from my 'retirement.'

Rolly Pirate

jennifer rose

Dec 11, 2003, 9:56 PM

Post #6 of 7 (4481 views)

Shortcut

HomeMart DIY classes

Can't Post |
BTW, HomeMart gives do-it-yourself classes from time to time, on an exciting range of topics such as "how to fix a toilet" and "laying floor tile." Free. Those classes are an excellent way to learn construction methods and brush up on construction terms. Yes, totally in Spanish.

Judy in Ags

Dec 13, 2003, 6:59 AM

Post #7 of 7 (4447 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Wallpaper

Rolly, I loved a couple sentences of yours that I just caught in this post: "I want to finish the current project first. Then I want to take a long vacation from my 'retirement.' " You have kind of kept up on our house building project here in Ags. for the last 8 months, so you know we're feeling kind of the same way. We are taking a three-week "break" for the Christmas holidays--Denver, Kansas City, Waco, and back home, but that involves 7 days of driving and encountering cold temperatures, if not worse. We really do look forward to Christmas with our kids in Denver (one coming from Monroe, Washingon), the other lives in Denver. It'll be a good break from the daily building pressures (and taking care of mother-in-law), but I know we will be extremely happy to get back to sunny Mexico. We're still enjoying high 30's and low 40's at night and upper 70's to low 80's during the day. Every day I look at My Favorites list on www.wunderground.com to see how are friends and loved ones are fairing with the weather and we are very fortunuate here! Do any of you contribute to the photos on that site? They are absolutely wonderful. When I need a nice break into another part of the world, I sit and view the photos on that site for a while. I have even contributed a few. My handle is Aguascal.

We still don't have our website running, but at Christmas time my son may get it going so you all can see the progress we have made on our house here since we moved here in March of this year.

On the subject at hand, (wallpaper), I did bring wallpaper borders for two rooms and plan to tackle the project myself. Wish me luck!!

Seasons greetings to all!
Attachments: House progress_12-09-03.jpg (51.8 KB)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4