Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

beverleywood

Dec 3, 2003, 5:51 AM

Post #1 of 9 (2090 views)

Shortcut

Ajijic Electric Power

Can't Post | Private Reply

Boy, I'm just full of questions. (I seriously do appreciate all the answers, thanks so much!!!)

We have been here two days. Both mornings, I have crawled down to the kitchen to start the coffee, only to find the fridge not working. Because it is an old fridge, yesterday I assumed it had bitten the bullet and died. But lo and behold, it came back on its lonesome by about 2pm.... luckily, the only thing in the freezer, which was room temperature by then, was melted ice.

This morning, it's off again. I think it just went off though, because yesterday's round of ice is still frozen :)

The rental company explained that this is the electricity fluctuations in Ajijic and my oh-so-technical husband explained that the fridge will shut itself off if the power goes too low, in order to protect the motor.

I don't think we can use a surge/power protector like the one we bought for the computers, because this fridge is so old it is a two prong plug with a wire for a ground that wraps around a screw and the surge protector is for a three prong plug...

Does this happen every day? Or most every day? I'm trying to determine if I will be able to buy ice cream or not LOL. Or freeze anything other than ice...

esperanza

Dec 3, 2003, 6:01 AM

Post #2 of 9 (2077 views)

Shortcut

Re: [beverleywood] Ajijic Electric Power

This is not normal behavior, even for Ajijic. We do have blackouts and brownouts more frequently than you're probably used to in your country of origin, but something peculiar is going on with your refrigerator, especially if it's ONLY the refrigerator that's going off. Do you have normal electricity in the rest of the house even though the refrigerator isn't working? That would be a big clue that your refrigerator needs attention or replacing.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

beverleywood

Dec 3, 2003, 6:10 AM

Post #3 of 9 (2074 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Ajijic Electric Power

Everything else in the house IS working... but the surge protector for the computers is telling us that there is "irregular power" when the fridge is off -- sometimes highher than normal, sometimes lower than normal... yesterday when the fridge went back on, it was back to normal level power on the surge protector...

given that we are in a rental house for only two months, something tells me they won't replace the fridge unless it completely dies (it's REALLY old...) and then I'm not even sure they would replace it but we're hoping they would... the house has been empty for a long time until we got here (we had to hammer some of the patio doors open, for example). And the stove is old too, i'm a little nervous to use it to tell you the truth...but that's not such a bad thing LOL, we can eat out until I get my courage up.

Its a drag...but at least it's not raining out :)

mkdutch

Dec 3, 2003, 12:39 PM

Post #4 of 9 (2040 views)

Shortcut

Mexican landlords are notorious for renting "as is", so you may not get the fridge replaced. However I would suggest you let the landlord know of the problem (and any other that may exist - after all, s/he doesn't live in the unit, and needs feedback on anything that would negatively affect existing or prospective tenants). Sometimes the squeaky wheel does get greased.

As for the stove, fogeddaboutit...8^). We bought a home there over 4 years ago and have used ours maybe once or twice. The area has such a great selection of restaurants in a number of price ranges it's hard to visit them all. What we do use a lot is a microwave - works great for warming up the doggy bags....=^..^=........Dutch

beverleywood

Dec 3, 2003, 2:54 PM

Post #5 of 9 (2021 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mkdutch] Ajijic Electric Power

okay, i HAVE to cook a turkey in the oven at xmas, I just have to :)

Good news, the rental company has been extremely responsive (i highly recommend them - Ajijic Rentals) and the landlord is probably going to replace the fridge! whoohoo! they had a tech out here today, who said it is the motor, which would cost almost as much as a new fridge. the owner wants to confer with his wife tonight about which to replace, but thinks they will just get a new one. And thanks to JohnO -- I told them what you advised about how a new fridge will save on power bills!

We have actually had a hard time even thinking about cooking because the restaurants are so good here and so cheap....but even as I speak, mi esposo is making queso quesadillas with some great cheese we bought at the tianguis (spelling?) today.

And speaking of the tianguis...man, what deals on silver! I think I'm going to love it here :)

PeggyS

Dec 4, 2003, 1:55 AM

Post #6 of 9 (1988 views)

Shortcut

Raining out? It's thankfully not snowing out, and the only ice is in the frig or not, and not on the roads!
If money is really no object, and it doesn't take very much, I would go over and shop around the plaza. A coffee maker, a one-burner electric "stove" for your countertop, a small refrigerator for beer and soft drinks, also ice, that you can use anywhere you move. A small new microwave oven that you can use to heat the leftovers from the restaurant meals, make the hot water for the coffee if you want instant, and do so much, as in cooking TV dinners from the store. These are things that you can take with you when you move, but that will make life so much easier while you are in the rental place.

mkdutch

Dec 4, 2003, 8:40 AM

Post #7 of 9 (1964 views)

Shortcut

Ah, silver - market day - good prices....you must have run into Mary. This wonderful woman has put her kids and grandkids through school by working 7 days a week, moving from Salvadors at the head of the "Market Street", through the restaurants and shops on the Carreterra including Brunos, and on west. Mary takes pains to educate her customers on what to look for in the silver markings, to ensure you are buying quality merchandise, which is all she sells from her attache case or pouch. The variety and quantity of jewelry she crams into them is amazing.

No store, no stall, just a "walking tienda" you will find every market day working the crowd and Bugambilia Plaza area (the easiest way to ensure you'll find her) Some stores will not allow vendors to come in and pitch their wares, but Mary seems to have a carte blanche - I've never seen her turned away. Negotiating prices with her is half the fun. If you haven't, look her up - she has become almost an Ajijic institution - you will be sure to enjoy the experience.

esperanza

Dec 4, 2003, 9:56 AM

Post #8 of 9 (1949 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mkdutch] Ajijic Electric Power

Newsflash, Dutch...Mary and her partner have had a booth at the Wednesday tianguis for way over a year now. Mary's a great person, all right.

There are other silver vendors with booths at the tianguis, including Aída Aguilar Pérez, vice president of Amigos del Lago. Aída frequently has updated information available about current Amigos del Lago activities, and sometimes she's hosting a fundraiser in her booth as well as her own silver business. Stop by.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

mkdutch

Dec 4, 2003, 10:51 AM

Post #9 of 9 (1944 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Ajijic Electric Power

Thanks for the update...we visited the tanguis only a couple of times in the last year, and I didn't see Mary there - but she did swing through Salvador's each time so we said hello then...8^). I know there are a number of silver vendors in the Ajijic area - just favor Mary because of her personality, integrity, hard work, and knowing where the fruits of her labor go.

We're members of Amigos del Lago, and had the good fortune to attend the fund-raiser at Dr. S's estate at the Raquet Club earlier this year. What a place, and what a view!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4