Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

Michael@g2m

Jun 27, 2001, 2:15 AM

Post #1 of 3 (1928 views)

Shortcut

Why Patcuaro: 1st Trip part two

Can't Post |
After the basket weaving lesson, it is time to go find something to eat and then head back to the room and take a short nap. After the sun has set i pull myself off the bed, which is rather soft but lumpy with a thin bedspread that is well worn, but clean and freshly straightened for me each morning. the whole hotel is like this, worn but clean and kept. It's kind of like staying at grandma's. After i get my act together, i head downstairs to see what life is about in the plaza at night. It's cold, so i take my jacket. You find out later why that was a smart move.<p>Well, the plaza seems even busier at night than it did during the day, but the atmosphere is completely different. That which was bathed in the warm light of sunshine from the top down, is now iluminated from the bottom up from the evening lights. The mercado is packed up for the evening, but everybody appears to be out for an evening stroll. Older couples walk along hand in hand, and the teenagers are flirting away. I find a place to sit and call my own for a bit and watch it all roll by.<p>Out of the corner of my eye i see a line forming over in the doorway of a building on the corner of the plaza, and then i notice it is a cinema. I go over to see what's playing and it turns out to be RoboCop 2 or some such garbage that is a couple of years old and i have no interest in. But, in a small town like this, the number of activities available is limited and going to the cine seems to be one of the favored ones. Like i said i have no interest in the movie, but i would like to be a part of the activities and nobody shoos the gringo away so i buy a ticket and start to walk in. Now this isn't like any movie house i have been to in the u.s., I don't see people with giant cokes, buckets of buttered popcorn and bon bons. The building is old and drafty and well worn, it has no heat and it wouldn't matter anyway because i think they left the big doors open. So everybody is cold and we all have our jackets on (remember i said taking my jacket was a good idea?). 20 or 30 locals and I sit there in the cold trying to watch this movie that we can't hear too well and the picture's not that great, but we all seem quite content to be there. About halfway through the movie it seems to be getting even colder. I flip my collar up and and pull it up around my mouth so i can breath into my jacket and try to warm myself. I didn't speak to anybody before or after and nobody spoke to me. In fact, nobody seemed to notice this outsider in the midst. The movie was ok, and i imagine that's what most of the people were there for, to see a movie. But for me, i just enjoyed being a part of this little evening ritual of sitting in a freezing theater watching an outdated movie with the locals.<p>After the movie it is getting late and the plaza is slowing down a bit. After sitting in the plaza for short time, i call it a night and head back to my room where i crawl into 'grandma's' bed and replay the day in my mind before falling off to sleep.<p>The next day i arise fairly early and the day goes pretty much like the one before, except that in the afternoon i take a daytrip to a small town i had read about, Santa clara del Cobre. This small town is dedicated exclusively to crafting copper into just about anything you can think of. I can't help myself and i buy a few trinkets that are ridiculously cheap. I bought a small slender pot with a wood handle that looks like it will be good for heating my coffee water in. I know, instant folgers coffee isn't the best but i cover up the flavor with some of that vanilla cream they sell these days. I'm completely ignorant about metals, and i don't even know if it's safe to boil water in the thing but i have always seen lots of copper pots and pans. Well, i have now been making my terrible instant coffee with that thing for the last several years and it hasn't killed me yet. I also bought a copper sun that is about 12" in diameter and it hangs on a hook from the cieling about 15 feet behind where i am sitting right now.<p>Santa Clara is another neat little th

rick

Jun 27, 2001, 3:15 PM

Post #2 of 3 (1920 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I liked the last part there where you describe learning how to do nothing. I haven't figured it out yet. But Patzcuaro also has a myriad of day (or part of the day) trips that you can take to nearby towns that fill the need for me.

Ed

Jun 30, 2001, 9:33 PM

Post #3 of 3 (1924 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Just had to post and thank you for a pair of excellent posts. You captured the moments well enough for me to picture myself there. <p><i>I have learned that something like climbing up on some shoeshine stand under a tree in the plaza and having some simple hard working guy clean up my shoes for me is one of the most relaxing and peaceful things a guy can do. </i><p>Bingo! I think I get my shoes shined more often than they really need it just because I enjoy the ritual of walking around the plaza, sitting on the stand reading a well thumbed copy of today's paper, and just watching someone take the trouble to do a simple job well.<p>

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4