Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

Albert Vega

Jun 27, 2001, 4:37 AM

Post #1 of 1 (3686 views)

Shortcut

Leon(BJX): a quick and easy way to Morelia

Can't Post |
I went to Morelia last month and flew to Leon (BJX)from Dallas. It is a wonderful alternative to Mexico City and Guadalajara. In my case, I look for alternatives since airfare to Morelia is outrageous! It was roughly a 2 hour flight from dfw to bjx (American Airlines). The biggest surprise was that the airport is out in the middle of no where. It serves the Bajio and is about equal distance to Leon, Guanajuato, and Irapuato. From BJX I took a 30 minute taxi ride to Irapuato, the strawberry capital of the world. (200 pesos). You can catch a bus to Morelia about every hour. I took Primera Plus, a first class busline with great Mercedes Benz busses. The 2 to 2.5 hour bus ride cost a whopping 82 pesos! So why is this better than Mexico City or Guadalajara? BJX has 2 gates. Gate A is for domestic flights and Gate B for international flights. Customs is a breeze because the only crowd is what was on your flight. There isn't a mob from the other dozen international arrivals like Mexico City. I always take the bus to Morelia because of the price and the bus ride (ETN is amazing!)is usually shorter than the layover in Mexico City. The taxi ride from MEX to the Observatorio bus station takes about 30 minutes depending on traffic and means hanging on to dear life as the taxi "weaves" through traffic. Then it is a 3.5 to 4 hour bus ride. The BJX to Irapuato taxi is down a straight 4 line divided highway. <p>I like Mexico City but I will fly to Leon (until a direct flight to Morelia comes along)from now on. It is so easy. I might add that the Americam Airlines flight was completely full. Most People were going to Guanajuato and San Miguel Allende. Leon was also cheaper than the other 2 airports. The only drawback that I could find is that upon arrival at bjx (10pm)the bank/exchange house was closed. There are several ATM's. Still made it in plenty of time to catch the 11:35pm bus from Irapuato to Morelia. I've got my resevations to go to Morelia in August and BJX was once again cheaper. If you are planning to visit Morelia or the other colonial jewels, BJX is a great arrival!! Just something to think about.<p>Albert

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4