Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

Kip

Dec 1, 2003, 10:40 AM

Post #1 of 5 (1800 views)

Shortcut

Horse and carriage

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi Marlene,

We just spent some time in Ajijic and loved it but would like to check out some other areas as well. When we went in to Guad we saw lots of horse and carriages for hire. So here's the question. Is there anything like that in Mazatlan and if not is there a need? We have a gorgeous pure white stallion who looks like a Unicorn...sans horn. In any case we've just started driving him and he's wonderful. What would it take to be able to legally use him for weddings, birthdays etc? I'm sure that we could pick up a nice carriage in Guad. Would having a Mexican footman, to help the ladies in, be enough to make us legal or would we have to do something else?

The other questions is, even if it turns out that we can't do the carriage thing, is it an area where we could drive a horse and cart? What about areas to ride? He and his look alike son are Tennessee Walkers so long distances are great. Are there many horses in the area? What about veterinarians? Would there be any problem getting good feed? What about a farrier? Then comes the major question, what about a place to keep horses? Would we have difficulty finding something?

Thanks for any information

Kip
kip

Marlene / Moderator

Dec 1, 2003, 5:46 PM

Post #2 of 5 (1783 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Kip] Horse and carriage

That sounds very romantic indeed - riding along the malecon in a horse and carriage. How wonderful would that be! Truth of the matter is I don't think it is legal here for horses in the street. We see them on the beach and on Isla de la Piedra with the tourists but never in the streets. In days gone by there was a union for the horse and buggy, when they were the only form of transportation. To this day, the little open air trucks (called Aurigas) belong to that same union and even have a logo on the trucks that resemble the horse and carriage. The Pulmonia (the name for an open air vehicle unique to Mazatlan, which literally means pneumonia) has taken the place of the "arañas" of days gone by. The fun little Pulmonias are in yet another union, separate from the Auriga, and separate again from the Taxi unions.

I know of another foreigner that had the same dream but I am not sure if it was fully examined. This could be a project for you. She thought that it would be a great tour in the Colonial District. Transportation licenses are expensive and tough to get here, though nothing is impossible in Mexico. Maybe time consuming, but never impossible.

As to your question of veterinarians, I can put you in touch with a friend who has a thriving horse back riding operation here. She would be the person to give you this kind of "horsey" advice. She has been here for years and knows her business well.

Kip

Dec 1, 2003, 7:00 PM

Post #3 of 5 (1772 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Horse and carriage

Thanks Marlene,

The horse and carriage thing would be fun but not a deal breaker. We can always use it for our own enjoyment.

I'd love to talk with your horse loving friend. Does she have an email address?

Kip
kip

Uncle Jack

Dec 4, 2003, 4:34 AM

Post #4 of 5 (1744 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Horse and carriage

I don't know when the Arañas left the Mazatlán scene, but Patty and I still remember taking slow lesurely rides in the evening around "Old Town" back in the late 50's and 60's. I realize that progress is progress, but I'll still trade a little horse crap on the streets for the noise and exhaust fumes of their replacements.

uj

Marlene / Moderator

Dec 4, 2003, 5:41 PM

Post #5 of 5 (1722 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Jack] Horse and carriage

I wish they were still operational too as I think it would be a great way to travel back in time, with all our beautiful colonial buildings surrounding us. I think someday this will happen again.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4