Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

MikeDRiley

Nov 19, 2003, 7:26 AM

Post #1 of 12 (12185 views)

Shortcut

Any good exterminators in Ajijic?

| Private Reply
We canīt seem to get ahold of the exterminator we used before. Apart from the cockroaches and ants, I am now suffering from repeated bites in the night. In my experience, these are from small spiders up in Canada. Here, I have no idea.

I searched this forum on "exterminator" and found several references, but no proper names or locations except a reference to a guy named Angel on the Libramiento. Can anyone offer information concerning a reliable service? My arms and legs will thank you....

... Mike

Jean

Nov 19, 2003, 7:35 AM

Post #2 of 12 (12169 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MikeDRiley] Any good exterminators in Ajijic?

| Private Reply
I used the guy on the Libramento. He is across from the Pemex station. Speaks English and is very good.

Do you have any pets? Are fleas a possibility?
Retirement Communities
http://www.retirecommunities.com

mkdutch

Nov 19, 2003, 1:39 PM

Post #3 of 12 (12141 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jean] Any good exterminators in Ajijic?

| Private Reply
I agree with Jean. He not only does good work, but if you continue to experience problems, will come back and re-spray at no charge. Pretty good at keeping appointments (well, within an hour or two...8^)...you may enhance your chances by making a before-noon time.

Jean

Nov 19, 2003, 2:17 PM

Post #4 of 12 (12132 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mkdutch] Any good exterminators in Ajijic?

| Private Reply
I used to always try and book his first appointment of the day :) I rarely had to wait.
Retirement Communities
http://www.retirecommunities.com

MikeDRiley

Nov 19, 2003, 8:25 PM

Post #5 of 12 (12104 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jean] Any good exterminators in Ajijic?

| Private Reply
Thanks, everyone. His partner's name is Rosemary; we found him. Can't recall his name, though. Turns out he is the same guy that we used here before!

BTW, no fleas here. That's a guarantee.

This fellow is so busy, we can't get him until next Monday. He promises we only need to stay away for one hour, though.

mkdutch

Nov 20, 2003, 11:00 AM

Post #6 of 12 (12072 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Mike, although he says only one hour, I would suggest the following: wait at least a couple of hours, so the chemicals have their maximum effect - then open all windows, doors, etc. (and run fans to expell the fumes) until most of the odor is gone.

Continue to leave the windows open for an extended period, as there will be residual odors emanating from fabrics and other soft materials in your home. The exterminator will probably recommend you not mop the floors for a few days to catch any bugs that may have escaped the initial spraying. It's a good idea to not walk barefoot on your floors until they have been mopped, to avoid skin contact with the spray.

The reason for this is that (very likely) chemicals that are banned in the USA and Canada as dangerous to humans have been used, and you will reduce any potential exposure to them by taking these few precautions. While this may all sound a little Henny-Pennyish, pesticide ingestion (whether via inhilation, skin or ingestion) can be cumulative, so why take the chance?

Hope this doesn't sound too alarming - that's not intended - but people who have not been raised in any area and who move to or visit another (including Mexicans who visit the USA) don't have the natural resistances and/or tolerations built up in their bodies to avoid short-term problems from new microbes or chemicals. Hell, I even got sick at a restaurant in Texas when traveling through the state!

Have fun Lakeside - it's a great place to live or visit...Dutch

MikeDRiley

Nov 20, 2003, 11:43 AM

Post #7 of 12 (12066 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mkdutch] Any good exterminators in Ajijic?

| Private Reply
Thanks for the primer, Dutch. We will do as you suggest. And I will keep eating my yogurt...

Not Henny-Penny at all. I would rather be fore-armed with all the details.

Fortunately (or unfortunately!) I'm working, so it will be easy to let the chemicals do their thing for a few hours. Thanks again, everyone.

randyb1242@aol.com

Jun 8, 2015, 1:14 PM

Post #8 of 12 (10827 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Hope to be moving to Ajijic. Has anyone figured out who this exterminator is, and how to get in touch? Sounds like someone needs to go into business and offer the same services. In Florida we all have regularly scheduled service, with free return if bugs return between visits. I know things will be very different in Ajijic, but sounds like there is a real need for more exterminators.

In Reply To

RickS

Jun 8, 2015, 5:42 PM

Post #9 of 12 (10808 views)

Shortcut

Re: [randyb1242@aol.com] Any good exterminators in Ajijic?

| Private Reply
Welcome to Mexconnect Randy.

As a newbie you probably didn't see that the Post you replied to was quite old.... 2003 in fact. Maybe someone there will pipe up with a good, current exterminator in case you find that you need one when you arrive.

drope

Jun 9, 2015, 7:25 AM

Post #10 of 12 (10782 views)

Shortcut

Re: [randyb1242@aol.com] Any good exterminators in Ajijic?

| Private Reply
been using rosa's outfit across from the pemex for 9 years. she speaks english but the "guy" that works for her,i don't know, but he does a good job and is always on time. the dogs and i go upstairs when he does the downstairs and then we immediately go downstairs while he does the upper and we have all survived.

phone:766-5409

Gringal

Jun 9, 2015, 12:47 PM

Post #11 of 12 (10762 views)

Shortcut

Re: [drope] Any good exterminators in Ajijic?

| Private Reply
A few comments on using exterminators. Apart from whatever effect their work might have on your own body: everything dies; the good bugs and the bad. Some non-poisonous bugs do a great job getting rid of other bugs. The birds coming through will clean out the bougainvillas of anything that moves. And so on.

If you happen to live in the country or near recent construction, the scorpions can come out and be a nuisance. Otherwise, most things that are annoying can be stomped on or can be gotten rid of by using borax and other non-poisonous materials.
Mosquitoes? Get one of those tennis racquet shaped zappers and wave it around. Zap, zap and they're gone.

Just one opinion, and I'm not fond of dealing with a bunch of bugs, either; just suggesting other options be considered.

John Shrall

Jun 9, 2015, 2:27 PM

Post #12 of 12 (10755 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
For an actual exterminator I've been using Carmen for years. Her company name is Fumi-Tech and does a good job 333-369-3737. She's prompt and speaks English if you need that.

I only call her if I ever see termites and once a few years back when we had an unusual number of scorpions.

For the usual roaches and other bugs the Home Defense product that's available in many places around town, Super Lake and others as well as Home Depot in Guadalajara.

We've also been using these little Raid puff spray cans you can find at Wal-Mart. They have a 9 volt battery and pops a little spray every 7 seconds. We put them in the kitchen, bathroom and bedroom. They seem to do a good job of reducing or eliminating the small bugs like ants.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4