Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

Mulligan de Morelia

Jan 7, 2002, 3:28 PM

Post #1 of 11 (3891 views)

Shortcut

Apatzingan

Can't Post |
Anyone know anything about Apatzingan? Couldn't get much info on it, except population. Is it a clean town, pretty, etc., and anyone know its elevation? Many thanks!

jennifer rose

Jan 7, 2002, 4:43 PM

Post #2 of 11 (3881 views)

Shortcut

Apatzingan - Villa de la Constitucion

Can't Post |
Apatzingan (not Afghanistan!) is a very clean, an agricultural center 350 meters above sea level, the site where the first Constitution of Mexico was signed back in 1814, modern, well-planned, and very prosperous. The people are friendly, gracious and hospitable. And hard-working. It may lack a symphony and puttin’ on the Ritz, but it’s got dancing horses! And spacious parks and harps. <p> It’s the heart and soul of the Tierra Caliente. And definitely bears visiting. In fact, I’m surprised that it hasn’t been discovered by expatriates looking for a clean, wholesome, interesting corner of Mexico. It’s easily accessible on the Morelia-Ururapan-Lazaro Cardenas cuota (turn off at Nueva Italia).<p>The Hotel Posada del Sol is an excellent hotel, with secure parking, located at the heart of the city. And its fountain is simply incredible! <p>Right now the weather there is quite pleasant. That said, it’s very, very hot during a large part of the year. Now’s the time to visit Apatingzan if you’re looking to warm those cold bones!<p>Overlooking the valley is the Virgen de Acahuato, whose image seems to guard all that stands below her. It’s definitely worth making the pilgrimage. (About 10 km. on a newly-paved road.)

Mulligan de Morelia

Jan 7, 2002, 5:11 PM

Post #3 of 11 (3880 views)

Shortcut

Apatzingan - Villa de la Constitucion

Can't Post |
Most informative, Jennifer, as your responses generally are! Many thanks!

rick

Jan 10, 2002, 2:17 PM

Post #4 of 11 (3884 views)

Shortcut

Apatzingan

Can't Post |
I met a nice old man on the bus I was taking to Tacambaro. He invited me to his home in Apatz and I still have his address (I think).<p>Anyway when I related my story to my coffee in the morning friends in Patzcuaro - they were all aghast and said he must be a drug lord becuase that's all they do down there.<p>Well I wasn't happy with this association for my new friend - but I guess everyone that I spoke to locally has this drug stereotype about the town.

jennifer rose

Jan 12, 2002, 1:09 AM

Post #5 of 11 (3880 views)

Shortcut

Apatzingan

Can't Post |
Apatzingan does suffer a bad rap over drugs. There’s no question about that. Just like New Orleans (or Washington, D.C. or the city du jour) is called the murder capital of the U.S. Like the popular image some might entertain of Al Capone and his merry band of gangsters hanging on every street corner in Chicago. Or Bakersfield’s status as the redneck methamphetamine capital of California of the West Coast. But the reality is that in any of these cities, someone’s got to go looking for trouble. <p>99.99% (or more) of the people in Apatzingan are just plain hard-working folks who have nothing to do with the drug trade. And I'll wager that the nice old man you met on the bus was one of 'em.

Glenn

Jan 12, 2002, 5:50 PM

Post #6 of 11 (3880 views)

Shortcut

Apatzingan

Can't Post |
There's a joke circulating in Colima among my Mexican friends that the municipio president had a press conference during which he announced that if the U.S. insisted on bringing military forces to Apatzingan, there would be trouble. He said that he was sure that Bin Laden was not living anywhere near Apatzingan. Then one of the journalists gently explained that it was Afghanistan that all the uproar was over, not Apatzingan. That was the end of the news conference. <p>Probably not true, but amusing none-the-less.<p>: Anyone know anything about Apatzingan? Couldn't get much info on it, except population. Is it a clean town, pretty, etc., and anyone know its elevation? Many thanks!<p>

jennifer rose

Jan 12, 2002, 7:08 PM

Post #7 of 11 (3882 views)

Shortcut

Apatzingan not Afghanistan

Can't Post |
Here's the Internet tale:<p>And still with wire services, the respected French one AFP insists the following item is true.<p>We'll let you decide.<p>AFP reports the mayor of a small Mexican town misheard news of threatened US strikes and dashed off a letter to the very top.<p>"Mr President Bush, I swear by what I hold dearest, which is my political carrer [sic], that Apatzingan never had any active or moral role in the bloody events at the twin towers and the Pentagon," wrote Mayor Jorge Luis Castaneda.<p>He also stressed that the people of Apatzingan were peaceful and worshipped the Virgin of Guadelupe, the patron saint of Mexico.<p>The government-run Notimex news agency said that Castaneda had already sent off the letter before aides told him Afghanistan, not Apatzingan, was the likely target of the US retaliatory strikes.<p>"Well, I did send it off, just in case," Castaneda said.<p>======<p>Is it true? No. But it did put Apatzingan on the map!<p><p>

James M. Martin

Apr 7, 2002, 11:06 AM

Post #8 of 11 (3880 views)

Shortcut

Apatzingan not Afghanistan

Can't Post |
: Here's the Internet tale:<p>: And still with wire services, the respected French one AFP insists the following item is true.<p>: We'll let you decide.<p>: AFP reports the mayor of a small Mexican town misheard news of threatened US strikes and dashed off a letter to the very top.<p>: "Mr President Bush, I swear by what I hold dearest, which is my political carrer [sic], that Apatzingan never had any active or moral role in the bloody events at the twin towers and the Pentagon," wrote Mayor Jorge Luis Castaneda.<p>: He also stressed that the people of Apatzingan were peaceful and worshipped the Virgin of Guadelupe, the patron saint of Mexico.<p>: The government-run Notimex news agency said that Castaneda had already sent off the letter before aides told him Afghanistan, not Apatzingan, was the likely target of the US retaliatory strikes.<p>: "Well, I did send it off, just in case," Castaneda said.<p>: ======<p>: Is it true? No. But it did put Apatzingan on the map!<p>>>>>>Oh, please, don't tell us it *isn't* true! Boo hoo, sniff sniff. It is soooooo much like the Mexico I hold dear, I desperately *want* it to be true. It reminds me a bit about a silly, if somewhat funny, movie Peter Ustinov made (1969) about a Mexican Army officer who decides to invade the U.S. to recapture the Alamo for Mexico. Who does the U.S. send out to lead *our* forces in combat? Why, Jonathan Winters, of course! Yes, I know, Hollywood has always set forth a somewhat patronizing attitude toward the Mexicans, but even the Mexican can, now and then, laugh at himself. I am planning an Oct., 2002 trip to Morelia and intend to stop off in Apatzingan. Perhaps I should seek out the mayor and reassure him that the U.S. has no intention of invading Mexico for its rumored terrorist acts against us. Anyone know any good inexpensive hotel recommendations for Apatzingan? I may want to stay a while.

Michael

Apr 10, 2002, 3:27 PM

Post #9 of 11 (3880 views)

Shortcut

Apatzingan

Can't Post |
: Anyone know anything about Apatzingan? Couldn't get much info on it, except population. Is it a clean town, pretty, etc., and anyone know its elevation? Many thanks!<p>Sure I've been to Apatzingan a few times.That's my mom's hometown, but I don't know it's elevation, sorry!!<p>

jennifer rose

Apr 12, 2002, 11:37 PM

Post #10 of 11 (3881 views)

Shortcut

October in Apatzingan

Can't Post |
October's the month of the fair and major civic celebration in Apatzingan....including the famed dancing horses! <p>My recommendation is the Posada del Sol, but here's a list:<p>CALIFORNIA 2*
27 habitaciones
Santos Degollado No. 163, Apatzingan, Michoacan tel. (4) 534-4591
CAST INN 4*
14 habitaciones
Av. Fco. I. Madero No. 149, Apatzingan, Michoacan tel. (4) 534-5441
CHULA VISTA 3*
37 habitaciones
Heriberto Jara No. 52, Apatzingan, Michoacan tel. (4) 534-0736
DEL VALLE 1*
25 habitaciones
Cayetano Andrade No. 16, Apatzingan, Michoacan tel. (4) 534-0606
GALEANA 2*
52 habitaciones
Dr. José María Coss No. 62, Apatzingan, Michoacan tel. (4) 534-1673
NUEVO HOTEL APATZINGAN 2*
37 habitaciones
Prol. Remigio de Yarza No. 39, Apatzingan, Michoacan tel. (4) 534-0261
POSADA CENTRAL 1*
12 habitaciones
Av. Constitución de 1814 Sur No. 45 Altos, Apatzingan, Michoacan tel. (4) 534-0388
POSADA DEL BALSAS 3*
24 habitaciones
Av. Constitución de 1814 Nte. No. 16, Apatzingan, Michoacan tel. (4) 534-0950
POSADA DEL SOL 4*
82 habitaciones
Av. Constitución de 1814 Nte. No. 7, Apatzingan, Michoacan tel. (4) 534-1517
POSADA KENIA 2*
20 habitaciones
Dr. José María Coss No. 100, Apatzingan, Michoacan tel. (4) 534-0730
RIO GRANDE, MOTEL 4*
45 habitaciones
Carr. Apatzingán-Uruapan Km. 1.5, Apatzingan, Michoacan tel. (4) 534-0531 <p>

gonzalo

Oct 5, 2002, 9:37 PM

Post #11 of 11 (3883 views)

Shortcut

Apatzingan

Can't Post |
: Anyone know anything about Apatzingan? Couldn't get much info on it, except population. Is it a clean town, pretty, etc., and anyone know its elevation? Many thanks!<p>

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4