Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

jeffsitka

Nov 4, 2003, 1:40 PM

Post #1 of 7 (1571 views)

Shortcut

Zihuatanejo to Patzcuaro

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am planning a trip to Zihuatanejo in February with a side trip to Patzcuaro. I would appreciate any information on road conditions and driving times. I drove Hwy 37 from the coast to Morelia eleven or twelve years ago. At the time it was a bit rough with many potholes. Are conditions similar today or have improvements been made? I heard of plans for a toll road from Lazaro Cardenas to Morelia. Has that ever come to anything?

esperanza

Nov 4, 2003, 3:25 PM

Post #2 of 7 (1558 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jeffsitka] Zihuatanejo to Patzcuaro

There's a toll road now from the coast to Morelia; driving time is said to be 4 hours or less. Of course, it is 1/2 hour from Pátzcuaro to Morelia.

Have fun.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

gpk

Nov 5, 2003, 2:59 PM

Post #3 of 7 (1529 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Zihuatanejo to Patzcuaro

I saw a news report recently that said that busses gather so they can travel in a caravan for safety from robbers. Is this true?

beckidid

Nov 5, 2003, 10:05 PM

Post #4 of 7 (1502 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpk] Zihuatanejo to Patzcuaro

Not to my knowledge. But I don't know that area. I have ridden the bus from Austin to San Miguel de Allende many times and never had that happen. However, the weekend before Thanksgiving last year, just outside Matauala our bus was flagged down by another bus driver and altogether he flagged about 10 buses down in order to caravan into the city. Seems he had heard the federales were stopping each bus in order to demand the mordida. So, the theory was to caravan as a group hoping most would get through without being stopped to pay. It worked well for all the buses except one...........guess which one? Yep, the bus I was on. So, our bus driver pulled over got out and pulled the money out and paid. We could tell the Federales were none too happy about not being able to stop all those buses coming at one time. Remember it was almost a holiday and the pockets needed lining. We were stopped multiple times on that trip. A trip that normally took 16.5 hours took 21 hours! I vowed to never ride the bus anywhere close to another holiday. I just chalked it up to another Mexico adventure and stored it my memory bank. Just a side note, though, I never felt afraid or threatened...........it's just Mexico. Viva la Mexico!!

Becki

gpk

Nov 6, 2003, 12:42 PM

Post #5 of 7 (1475 views)

Shortcut

Re: [beckidid] Zihuatanejo to Patzcuaro

The story was specifically about the road from Morelia to Z.

ngallo

Nov 6, 2003, 11:17 PM

Post #6 of 7 (1450 views)

Shortcut

About four or five years ago, locals in Uruapan warned me not to take the night bus from the Michoacan mountains down to Zihua because of bandits. I did it anyway and had no problems, but later I talked to others who were robbed on that route. But that was the old road, and it was awhile ago. I don't know anyone who has taken the new highway. That old route is a twisty, hellacious thing, not as nasty as the Oaxaca highway to the coast, but still not much fun.

beckidid

Nov 6, 2003, 11:52 PM

Post #7 of 7 (1449 views)

Shortcut

My story was specifically in reply to your posting about the report you read concerning buses that gather to caravan in order to avoid robbers. Hmmmmm.....Was the report you read about the road from Morelia to Z???? I must have missed that part. In the future I will specify that I am posting OT (off topic). Okay?

BTW, this is OT, but........ hope your weekend is all that you hope it will be.

Becki

Kindness is in our power, even when fondness is not. -Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4