Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

Don Hildebrandt

Feb 13, 2002, 3:24 AM

Post #1 of 6 (2901 views)

Shortcut

Zitacuaro

Can't Post |
I arrive on 2/18/02 for two weeks in Mexico. One week in Michoacan and one in Guanajuato. My plans are to bus from Mexico Norte to Zitacuaro the first day and use that town as a base to visit the Monarchs. Are there organized tours from Zitacuaro to the Sanctuary? After the January freeze, is it worth the trip to see the Monarchs? Thanks for your help.

jennifer rose

Feb 13, 2002, 10:21 AM

Post #2 of 6 (2897 views)

Shortcut

Zitacuaro

Can't Post |
If you can get yourself to Angangueo, you'll be able to hire a local guide. We've just had two days of cold rain here in Morelia, which is totally out of character for the month of February, and you can draw your own conclusions. <p>Still, Angangueo is more than butterflies. It's an attractive and interesting town in its own right, and worth a trip even when the butterflies aren't in town. Casa Parker, the two churches, and the San Simon mine tunnel are all must-sees there.

trina

Feb 13, 2002, 1:12 PM

Post #3 of 6 (2894 views)

Shortcut

question for jennifer rose Zitacuaro

Can't Post |
jennifer, since you live in the area, can you tell me anything about zitacuaro. i'm looking to move to mexico and love michoacan but was hoping to find a place a little quieter than morelia.
thanks.

rick

Feb 20, 2002, 8:51 AM

Post #4 of 6 (2894 views)

Shortcut

question for jennifer rose re: Zitacuaro

Can't Post |
Zitacuaro is a little far off to have any expatriate contact - with the freeway now to Mexico City it has been bybassed<p>also there is not quite the host of attractions that you can find elsewhere - I a was fairly bored in one day<p>If you want to get deep into Mexican (and Indian) culture you will have more variety if you go west rather than east of Morelia<p>Uruapan would be a good base - closer to the expats in Patz and Morelia and still not heavily touristed by foreigners<p>from there you can explore the many other nearby villages to see if one appeals to you<p>most of my time was spent around Patzcuaro which is small enough for me

jennifer rose

Feb 20, 2002, 1:57 PM

Post #5 of 6 (2894 views)

Shortcut

question for jennifer rose re: Zitacuaro

Can't Post |
Oh, there are foreigners who live in and around Zitacuaro, just as anywhere. They’re just as “out there” and evident, but they’re there all right. The high priestess of Mexican cuisine, Diana Kennedy has a home in nearby San Pancho. I’d suggest reading some of Diana Kennedy’s books – well, all of them – to get a flavor for her take on the region.<p>I’ve not been to Zitacuaro for a couple of years, but it’s always struck me as a very pleasant and livable place. Yes, it would be quieter than Morelia, but there’s also no Walmart, no Costco, nor an Office Depot. And it’s a journey from the airport. And it’s totally and completely different from Patzcuaro and Uruapan.<p>What people look for when they’re on vacation and what they’re looking for in a place to settle in are quite often not the same. It all depends upon what your lifestyle is and what you do to keep yourself occupied and out of trouble. There are those who’d be bored in Disneyland after 24 hours, and there are those who find quiet comfort in plainer, less hectic surroundings. Personally, I think Zitacuaro would be a great place to live, but it may not be everyone’s cup of atole. Spend a week or so there, getting a feel for the place.

cassandra avila

Aug 5, 2002, 11:08 PM

Post #6 of 6 (2897 views)

Shortcut

Zitacuaro

Can't Post |
:I mariied a man from Zitaquaro and he wants me to move down there. I am from the United States and have never been out of my country. His parents seem really nice and sent pictures,but I would like more information. We are building a house down there and I need to know what it is like from another persons point of view. If you could E-mail me some pictures or even tell me some of the good and bad things about it I would be very happy. thank you.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4