Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

Carol Schmidt

Oct 18, 2003, 11:13 AM

Post #1 of 9 (2027 views)

Shortcut

Two good San Miguel web resources, and Day of the Dead

Can't Post | Private Reply
For those of you interested in San Miguel, here are two internet resources which provide current news about the city:

www.thesanmiguelchronicles.com

www.InternetSanMiguel.com/San-Miguel-Mexico

Information on subscribing to the news services is included on each site. The first one has info on upcoming Day of the Dead activities in SMA, for example, and the second has a link to posts by people who live in SMA who share their feelings and experiences.

Since I missed Day of the Dead here last year, I am wondering whether to just go out and try to experience it on my own or whether to go to the "gringoized" versions of the event, at least the first time, so I'll have more understanding of what the day is.

Carol Schmidt

beckidid

Oct 19, 2003, 10:53 AM

Post #2 of 9 (2002 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carol Schmidt] Two good San Miguel web resources, and Day of the Dead

I know that St. Paul's Church is putting on some pretty high falutin' festivities for Day of the Dead. I believe tickets for some of them are available at the church.

Becki

beckidid

Oct 19, 2003, 11:03 AM

Post #3 of 9 (2000 views)

Shortcut

One more note about Day of the Dead.........if you will click on the first link on Carol Schmidt's post above you will find that the SanMiguel Chronicles gives a great review of what is to be expected from St. Paul's endeavor.........and all proceeds go to a great cause. (By the way,just FYI.........the contact listed in the Chronicles for info about St.Paul's DoD is none other than my dear mother.)

Becki

elcomputo

Oct 23, 2003, 11:27 PM

Post #4 of 9 (1970 views)

Shortcut

What I want to know is whether I should expect any trick-or-treating on Friday night? I know Halloween is catching on in Mexico, but I don't know whether it's in full bloom in SMA. Should I stock up on goodies?

Carol Schmidt

Oct 24, 2003, 7:15 AM

Post #5 of 9 (1962 views)

Shortcut

Re: [elcomputo] Two good San Miguel web resources, and Day of the Dead

I hear we didn't have any trick or treaters in our little enclave last year, but we're off the beaten path. I hear that it kind of depends on your particular neighborhood and the enculturation of the kids and parents there. My suggestion: buy candy that you like and that will keep, so you have it on hand if kids do come, but if they don't, it won't go to waste. (Maybe to waist.) After parties and such we just give leftover treats to our maid.

We did the same in Phoenix--kids rarely came inside our RV park, but if they did, I wanted to have stuff on hand. I just had to make sure not to buy chocolate, though, or it would disappear before Halloween!

Carol Schmidt

jennifer rose

Oct 24, 2003, 7:44 AM

Post #6 of 9 (1957 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I'm neither in San Miguel de Allende nor a gringo enclave, but Halloweeners come out in droves to my house. And not always exactly on the 31st either, picking up on yet another American trend. Fortunately, they seem to limit the trick-or-treating to one 90-minute window. One word of warning -- don't extend a basket of goodies for the kids to pluck a treat or two from. They'll take huge handfuls and sometimes the entire contents of the basket. Greedy little brats! One year I thought I had enough candy, but I had to resort to handing out apples (not a big hit), small change, and finally raced to the store -- only to find more kids waiting at the gate when I returned. Yes, I'm a target and a sucker, but I play along with the game. Don't buy expensive candy. The cheaper, the better. It's quantity that counts in the kids' eyes.

What has absolutely amazed me are the kids -- and I have no idea who they are, especially dressed in costume -- who take the time to say "Thank you" in English, adding my name.

jennifer rose

Nov 2, 2003, 1:23 PM

Post #7 of 9 (1900 views)

Shortcut

Halloween

Can't Post |
8 kilos of candy over two nights.....and we've run out! Each year seems to bring out record numbers of trick-or-treaters. Since I had to be away from the house on Friday night, I asked my gardener to stay and hand out treats. Even modest homes were handing out candy.

The children still haven't figured out "Trick or Treat" yet, saying instead (in English, surprisingly) "Happy Halloween," and all were unfailingly courteous, not a single one forgetting to say "Thank you." Again, surprisingly in English. And I don't exactly live in a bilingual neighborhood.

(This post was edited by jennifer rose on Nov 2, 2003, 1:26 PM)

gpk

Nov 3, 2003, 6:07 AM

Post #8 of 9 (1887 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Halloween

We had very nice kids in Irapuato--never had any in San Miguel or Leon. Very few in costumes, but cute nevertheless. They came by the truck-load--from a neighboring village, I think. We ran out of candy and had to break into the cookies. Next year I'll be more prepared--these were kids who definitely deserve a treat.

Carol Schmidt

Nov 3, 2003, 7:50 AM

Post #9 of 9 (1877 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpk] Halloween in San Miguel

What surprised me was the number of kids on the streets in centro who came up to us as we walked around and said "Halloween" and presented their collection containers! Of course we had no candy with us, but next year we will bring some no matter where we go. And the kids were asking not only on Halloween night but also Nov. 1 and 2 evenings as well. Three nights of it!

None came to our house again, but we are off the main streets and there are no kids in our complex this year.

Carol Schmidt

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4