Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

Jerry@Ajijic

Oct 9, 2003, 6:38 AM

Post #1 of 7 (1656 views)

Shortcut

Prodigy

Can't Post | Private Reply
Good morning. For a long time I have been getting a speed of 40 to 44 kps on Prodigy. The last two days I can only sign on at 31.2 kps. Is this just me or have some of you others noticed this? Jerry

esperanza

Oct 9, 2003, 8:00 AM

Post #2 of 7 (1631 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jerry@Ajijic] Prodigy

It's been a little slower than usual for me as well, Jerry. Still better than the competition, however.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

johanson / Moderator

Oct 9, 2003, 5:56 PM

Post #3 of 7 (1593 views)

Shortcut

Hi Jerry. Typically when the speed drops off like that, it's not prodigy's fault, it has to do with telephone line quality. Up North where my ISP uses the same high quality modems as does Prodigy, I often connect at 52. When line quality was really bad last Christmas, my connection speed decreased to less than 20 Kb/sec and I was using a very expensive US Robotics external modem. The telephone company corrected the problem after a phone call and my speed returned to close to or above 50 Kb/sec.

The competition here in Ajijic could have put in 56 K modems, but they chose to put in 33.6 K modems, because they understood that the line quality down here is not ideal. Now it's nice to know that during the hand shake, when your modem is talking to your ISP's modem, that they have decided to be able to talk at 40 or so Kb/sec, but what is much more important is the backbone or throughput.

Several surveys were run last year where a server was chosen in the US and files of like sizes were downloaded and the speed and time noted. On average, there was a 3 to 6% difference in download speed. While Prodigy averaged 30 to 31 Kb/sec, Lagunanet averaged 29 Kb/sec.

Rolly

Oct 9, 2003, 6:21 PM

Post #4 of 7 (1584 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Prodigy

I have a different problem here in Lerdo. Mine is ISP overload. In the early AM, I have a reasonable speed, but in the afternoon and evening it slows to a creep. Sometimes I just give up. I am convinced that it is school kids on line because during the summer, there was no slowdown in the PM hours, but as soon as school started, the afternoons and evenings were (are) usually pretty bad. For some reason, tonight is OK.

When I first started here 2 years ago, I had good speed all the time, but the PM has steadily eroded. It seems to have gone down as the number of internet cafes increased in town.

Rolly Pirate

johanson / Moderator

Oct 9, 2003, 6:41 PM

Post #5 of 7 (1581 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Prodigy

Here is something interesting Rolly. People tend to connect to Lagunanet at slower rates during periods when many people are using the telephone system. It does not seem to matter whether 30% or 90% of the ISP's modems are in use. I presume, (maybe I should say I guess) this has to do with line quality, which apparently is best when fewer folks are using the phone system.

I mention this, because many here have decided that they are connecting at a slower speed because of something the ISP is doing, or because many persons are connected at the same time.

The owner of the ISP here is my friend and he has allowed me access to usage statistics. That's why I know how many persons are hooked up at different times.

(This post was edited by johanson on Oct 9, 2003, 6:49 PM)

Adrian

Oct 20, 2003, 6:27 PM

Post #6 of 7 (1501 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Good morning. For a long time I have been getting a speed of 40 to 44 kps on Prodigy. The last two days I can only sign on at 31.2 kps. Is this just me or have some of you others noticed this? Jerry

Adrian

Oct 20, 2003, 6:29 PM

Post #7 of 7 (1498 views)

Shortcut

Re: [adrian_j_r] Prodigy

Hmmm...where did my text go?

We are with Prodigy up here in Tampico. After 6.00PM during the week, the service suddenly becomes god-awful one one often cannot connect at all.

Anyone suggest an alternative ISP for the Tamaulipas region?

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4