Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Kip

Sep 14, 2003, 9:50 AM

Post #1 of 18 (5509 views)

Shortcut

amoebas, salmonella and typhoid

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have a dear friend in Ajiji who's been having health problems. Has anyone else had the "amoeba" problem or salmonella or recurring typhoid? Can anyone tell me what can be done to cure, control, avoid these problems? What remedies are working? What about the herbalists in Jocotopek? Anybody have any good Mexican friends with old family remedies? Any other "sure cures" you'd like to share?

Kip
kip

Bubba

Sep 14, 2003, 10:42 AM

Post #2 of 18 (5497 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Kip] amoebas, salmonella and typhoid

Can't Post |
Kip Darling:

As you know, amoebas, salmonella and typhoid have yet to have learned to respect human boundaries. Here is what you need to know:

Most of these disease bearing organisms are afraid of the toxic human expatriate inhabitants of this region and would rather infect a toad on speed than risk their sorry little lives by climbing aboard these hideous creatures for a marginal meal.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Sep 14, 2003, 10:45 AM)

Kip

Sep 14, 2003, 11:06 AM

Post #3 of 18 (5489 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] amoebas, salmonella and typhoid

O.K. Bamaboy, do I take this to mean that you haven't had any problems in the two years you've been there? I think that length of time should be long enough to discover if you're very susceptible to the various "critters". I tried to do a little research on the internet and they recommended garlic, tumeric, cayenne, walnut (I think) extract and some other extract. Just wondered if it's a problem that involves large numbers or just those who are most susceptible for some reason or does it skip some folks because of their diet? Whatcha' got in that there taca kiddo?

Kip
kip

Bubba

Sep 14, 2003, 11:22 AM

Post #4 of 18 (5485 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
OK Kip:

My other post was meant to be amusing. I carefully avoid eating in places with obviously marginal hygienic practices and have still been infected by salmonella at least twice. I have also become quite ill from food poisoning in dozens of countries from India to California.

Gringos who come here and eat at street taco stands are, oddly enough, racists. They eat in places they would never sanction back home in order to be seemingly liberated from their own narrow vision of the planet.

But, I can assure you that poop in your food that can kill you knows no nationality.

Kip

Sep 14, 2003, 11:34 AM

Post #5 of 18 (5480 views)

Shortcut

So...Anything out of the ordinary to kick the salmonella? Is this an "I don't feel well" kinda sick or a "Run fetch my will Mable I think I'm gonna' croak!' kind of sick?

Kip
kip

Bubba

Sep 14, 2003, 11:49 AM

Post #6 of 18 (5474 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
You can be infected by salmonella poisoning and not even know it. The only reason I found out I was infected was that I had a blood test during an ordinary annual physical checkup. You are in more danger of becoming sick from food borne diseases here because of many things. Two are:

1) Sloppy food preparation practices. You can observe these and avoid them. Clearly, the street taco stand lacks the facilities to sterilize implements between meals fed to patrons.

2) Primitive food processing and distribution practices.

You are on your own.

Jean

Sep 14, 2003, 1:27 PM

Post #7 of 18 (5457 views)

Shortcut

Last year we had an outbreak of Hepititis A and Typhoid. It was not a good year.

The Lake Chapala Society issued the warning on the Hep A and I have over 15 friends who had typhoid.

Salmonella is common here. I have had it 3 times now. The most dangerous months are March April and May. At home you need to wash everything...including fruits that you peel. Even eggs should be washed as the salmonella is also on the outside of the egg as well as the inside.

Amoeba's and Parasites are just as common. There is a medication that most of us take every six months to clear our system out.

I wrote and article about the above for the Ojo Del Lago. You can see it at this site:

http://www.chapala.com/...dicineapril2003.html

These things are not to be taken lightly as some of them can cause real damage to your system.

Hope this helps.
Retirement Communities
http://www.retirecommunities.com

Kip

Sep 14, 2003, 1:41 PM

Post #8 of 18 (5447 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Tuatha_de_Danann] amoebas, salmonella and typhoid

Good article.
kip

Arrow

Sep 14, 2003, 1:49 PM

Post #9 of 18 (5444 views)

Shortcut

Hi Kip,

Utah has problems with gardinella from mountan streams. The cure is grapefruit extract and oregano oil. It is non toxic and save and you will avoid the side effects of antibiotic use. This mixture is great for a wide variety of bacterial gut infections and is used in many third world counties.

Get yourself some gelatin capsules and put 8 drops of grapefruit seed extract and 3 drops of oregano oil in. Take a capsule 4 times a day, once a day with a meal and three times on an empty stomach. Gardinella takes 6 weeks of treatment. I can not say for the diseases you mentioned but hese two cites will give you info. You can also do your own search on Citricidal. I wouldn't go to Mexico without grapefruit seed extract and oregano oil.

http://www.nutriteam.com/tech.html

http://www.pureliquidgold.com/health.htm

We use grapefruit seed extract it at home to cure and prevent gum disease and for wound infections, including pimples.

Best,

Arrow

Kip

Sep 14, 2003, 2:01 PM

Post #10 of 18 (5437 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Arrow] amoebas, salmonella and typhoid

Hi Arrow,

Do you take it as a preventative or just as a cure?

There are herbologists (curanderos) in Jocatopec. Tony Burton mentioned them in his book, "Westerm Mexico a Traveller's Treasury." It will be very interesting to see what they use for the different types of problems.

Thanks for the input, I'll check out the sites.

Kip
kip

Arrow

Sep 14, 2003, 2:18 PM

Post #11 of 18 (5434 views)

Shortcut

Hi Kip,

You can take it as a preventative as the bacterias do not develop resistance to the extract and oil but I do not know what the dosage would be as a preventative. You may be able to find out if you do a search.

You can make a spay bottle with about 10 drops of grapefruit seed extract per 2 cups of water to clean veggies and countertops. I think I read in those pages I sent that it is used to disenfect water in general also. Its cool stuff. Maybe saver in general than clorox and it will not upset the natural bacterial flora of the gut.

Arrow

Kip

Sep 14, 2003, 2:25 PM

Post #12 of 18 (5432 views)

Shortcut

Thak you, thank you, thank you!! This stuff sounds great! Do you get yours at the health food store or off of the internet?

Bubba, are you gettin' all this?

Kip
kip

Georgia

Sep 14, 2003, 4:29 PM

Post #13 of 18 (5414 views)

Shortcut

My husband and I have opted for the hepatitis A shot series (2 shots at least six months apart) since this form of hepatitis is moderately prevalent both in the US and Mexico according to the CDC. We plan to get typhoid shots in Jalisco once we are there permanently in a few months. Apparently, this shot varies from place to place according to the variety of typhoid that is prevalent. We use Microdyn to wash our vegetables according to the label instructions, and have a series of carbon and paper filters plus UV light on our well which we have tested every three months.

I also use Microdyn in the US with my produce. My late mother in law used to do a mild chlorine soak for all her produce purchases. Not a bad habit. Seems fussy, but it does work. I can't stand being sick.

Check out the Centers for Disease Control website. Lots of info there.

johanson

Sep 14, 2003, 6:05 PM

Post #14 of 18 (5394 views)

Shortcut

That was a good article Jean wrote. Here is a quote therefrom "I strongly recommend you see your doctor for advice on a good parasite medication and how often you should take it. I take mine every six months"

There are a lot of folks lakeside, who espouse the theory that one should take a prescription medication (available over the counter in Mexico) every 6 months to kill possible infestations of amoeba, be they infected or not. I'm not suggesting that, this was what my friend Jean was talking about about. But I would like to add my 2 bits worth. I drive my doctors crazy with stupid questions, I even ask questions about aspirin, so they weren't surprised when I asked about the prescription medication many take every six months, just in case they might have amoeba. Both my lakeside Doc and US Doc said that they would not recommend prophylactic use of the medication commonly taken by many expats every six month in the Lake Chapala area. My US Doc further stated that the type of medication that was recommended, would require a prescription in the US and Canada. Both stated that they would only recommend taking this type of medication if the patient tested positive for amoeba. They stated that often taking the medication does not kill all of the Amoebas and that those amoeba surviving would be a more virulent strain and would be more difficult to destroy next time. That's why they would also do a stool check after the procedure to see whether or not additional medication was required

During my first 6 years in Ajijic, annual stool tests confirmed I had not been infected. However this spring I had the symptoms of a major Amoeba attack, and was so diagnosed. I took the prescribed medication and soon felt better and knew that I had been cured. Wrong, a further stool test showed that a majority of the visitors had been destroyed but not all. Had I not been given a new medication, it wouldn't have been long until I was sick again. On the third variation of medication, I finally destroyed the infestation

My advise is the same as Jean's. Seek the advise of the medical profession before taking any medication, especially those types of medications that would require a prescription up north. Don't get your medical advise from people like me.

(This post was edited by johanson on Sep 14, 2003, 6:06 PM)

Kip

Sep 14, 2003, 6:19 PM

Post #15 of 18 (5387 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] amoebas, salmonella and typhoid

Hi Pete, did you check that website out that Arrow posted.? I thought it made a huge amount of sense. The nasty critters don't develop an immunity. I like it. I still haven't heard a peep out of anyone that has checked out the herbalists. These people have been here for a very long time and they're surviving. They've got to know something! I would certainly check out the natural ways if they could keep you healthy without all the side affects of pharmaceuticals. Especially since you may have to use them fairly often. Just a thought but I'm going to check them out.

Stay healthy,

Kip
kip

Arrow

Sep 14, 2003, 6:46 PM

Post #16 of 18 (5382 views)

Shortcut

Well, here in the states its easy to get at the health food store and what is on the site below is what I have. One bottle lasts a pretty long time, is cost effective and hence so popular in third world counties for bacterial infections. A four ounce bottle should last a long time for personal treatment. If you get into using it to wash veggies it may last a year or more.

http://www.nutriteam.com/GSEorder2.htm

If you search the web you should find some pretty impressive studies done on it. I've read papers that doctors have written on their use of it. Of course when it comes to parasites I would always recommend a test to be sure that you are clear. But those little devils - they hide.

Another thing that can be used is colloidal copper which is also absolutely non toxic and has a history of killing all kinds of parasites for over a thousand years. Go to http://wateroz.com/About20Minerals.htm

and click on copper. you can write to the company to get their parasite protocol. A fiend who was almost overwhelmed with paracites used this as the backbone of her protocol to cure. This will not only kill intestinal parasites but those hanging out in the liver, kidney ears, feet, brain etc etc. Not very expensive to do and it will not damage your body the way antibiotics do. When parasites are this involved the cure can take many months of diligent work.

I like the idea of superchlorinating then carbon filtering the water. We drank water threated this way for 3 months in mexico and Guatamala. We never got sick once. The uv light as mentioned is an added plus. Placed after the carbon filter it guarantees purity. Sometimes those filters can collect and harbor bugs, which is hard to do after superchlorination.

Arrow

Arrow

Sep 14, 2003, 8:20 PM

Post #17 of 18 (5364 views)

Shortcut

Turns out I did have the copper protocol for parasites on file. Here it is.

Arrow

During the parasite cleanse you may experience some reactions as the parasites die. Such reactions may manifest themselves as rashes, itching nausea dizziness and irritability. Work through it if you can. If you are not able to, cut back until your system adjusts to the tolerable dosage. We recommend starting the protocol by cleansing the intestinal tract first.

First 4 Days:

- replace cooking water in oatmeal with cup copper mineral water to cup water and eat it. (may be enough for two days.) Substitute this for the copper amounts listed below. Take no more copper by mouth for these first four days, only what is in the oatmeal, but continue to use the rest of the protocol.

After 4 days:
  • Discontinue the use of copper in the oatmeal
  • Copper First Week 2 Tablespoon (TBL); begin with 1 tsp. The first night and increase per tsp. Each night until the 2 Tbl limit is reached
  • Second and Third weeks: 2 Tbl daily; thereafter 1 TBL daily for one week. Repeat this gentle cleanse three times or until evidence that parasitic infection is gone.
  • In concurrence with the above:
  • Molybdenum 2 tsp
  • Silver 2 TBL
  • Zinc 2 TBL
  • RNA as directed
  • Enzymes see general instructions on page 6.
  • Wait 10 days to two weeks and then repeat this gentle cleanse three times or until the parasitic infection is gone. It is wise to understand the length of the life cycle of the parasite you are dealing with. A repetition of at least three life cycles is necessary. Then get professional tests done to determine if they are completely gone.

For Children

The recommendations are for individuals 60 pounds and up. Reduce the dose to one half for children 30-60 pounds, one quarter for children 10-30 pounds, and one eighth for infants.

This protocol is for regular strength minerals. If your using extra strength minerals the dosage will be of recommended amounts. Extra strength minerals are less expensive in the long run to purchase.

A bare bones protocol will require copper, zinc and silver. These minerals must be colloidal as other forms may be toxic and will not work.

All products come from WaterOz.com and they do ship out of the USA.

When this is done I recommend about two to three months of Primal Defense to establish proper gut flora. Cheapest place I know to order is with Sara at sawilson@herbmarttx.com $31.95 per bottle. Read about Primal Defense here: http://www.primaldefense.net/hsoasyourpd1.htm

Kip

Sep 14, 2003, 9:38 PM

Post #18 of 18 (5356 views)

Shortcut

Arrow you're a treasure, where have you been?

Kip
kip

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4