Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

lbc

Aug 31, 2003, 7:23 AM

Post #1 of 16 (2630 views)

Shortcut

San Luis Potos to San Miguel

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have one question, but you probably need a map to answer it for me unless you have traveled these routes many times. I will be coming down from San Lous P. on 57. In order to branch off to San M. It seems I have three options:

1. get off onto hwy 110 parallel to San Luis de la Paz heading for Dolores Hidalgo and then head south on 51 to S.M.

2. get off onto little hwy 1 and go straight down to S.M. via Las Rodriguez

3. stay on 57 until I can head northwesterly on hwy 111 via Puerto Nieto to S.M.

All three seem viable options but if you could steer me, I would thank you very much.

pathall

Aug 31, 2003, 8:28 AM

Post #2 of 16 (2620 views)

Shortcut

Re: [lbc] San Luis Potos to San Miguel

We have driven all three over the years. The one we find is the shortest, most direct, and safest is the one through Los Rodriguez. The other two are not as direct and the one through Dolores has a nasty three-way corner that is very dangerous. Last winter they were doing road construction at that corner. Still the shortest is the one through Los Rodriguez. Not a bad road at all.
Pat

jennifer rose

Aug 31, 2003, 7:29 PM

Post #3 of 16 (2590 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I don't pay attention to highway numbers, but I always turn off at San Diego de la Union from Highway 57, just because I'm bored and want a change of scenery.

lbc

Sep 2, 2003, 4:13 PM

Post #4 of 16 (2558 views)

Shortcut

Re: [pathall] San Luis Potos to San Miguel

you were right--the road and the town were just great. I found the freshest, just-picked strawberries and tunas on the road side. What a treat. San Miguel is awsome--the weather, the wind, the Tuesday market--wow.

thanks again for your good tip.

pathall

Sep 2, 2003, 4:42 PM

Post #5 of 16 (2556 views)

Shortcut

Good that you liked the route through Los Rodriguez. You're making me homesick for San Miguel and we don't leave to go to San Miguel until November 24. Enjoy!
Pat

Kip

Sep 2, 2003, 5:24 PM

Post #6 of 16 (2551 views)

Shortcut

I've read everything I can find on Ajijic, but I really don't know anything about San Miuguel. I watched the special on it sunday night and it really looked great. Any bits of information you care to share?

Kip
kip

pathall

Sep 2, 2003, 7:56 PM

Post #7 of 16 (2542 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Kip] San Luis Potos to San Miguel

We've gone to San Miguel de Allende every winter for the past five years and we love it. My sister lives there. We rent a small house or apartment, sometimes take a course, see the sights, eat in the gourmet restaurants, go to the markets, shop in the wonderful stores, go to the art galleries, sit in the jardin and watch the world go by, sometimes go on the home & garden tour, check out the library, and I could go on and on.

What specifically would you like to know about San Miguel de Allende?

Check out these two web sites www.sanmiguelguide.com and www.thesanmiguelchronicles.com, plus do a search on MexicoConnect under San Miguel de Allende and you’ll find lots of information about SMA.
Pat

sfmacaws

Sep 3, 2003, 4:45 AM

Post #8 of 16 (2530 views)

Shortcut

Hi Pat,

I'd like to know if you have a recommendation for any of the spanish schools there? I asked before but didn't get any answers. I'd like to have a personal recommendation from someone who's attended before we decide in November.

Thanks,

Jonna

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

pathall

Sep 3, 2003, 12:19 PM

Post #9 of 16 (2511 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] San Luis Potos to San Miguel

I have taken a Spanish course twice at the Universidad del Valle de Mexico. Each time I have been the only student in the class, although they were both to have been courses with other students, and not private. I have been happy with the classes because I have pretty well been able to choose what I wanted to learn and when to have the classes. I was in the 5th (top) level because I used to live in Mexico, have a degree in Spanish, and teach Spanish in Canada, but I wanted to just have refresher courses. So I was happy with the courses there. They offer courses from levels 1 to 5, from beginning basic to advanced. There has been a change of ownership with the Universidad, but Guadalupe Espinosa still organizes the classes. It's very informal. The first time I tried to arrange the course before I got there, but that was impossible. You go there and register and Guadalupe hires a teacher and you start right away.

I also hear that the Instituto Allende is good from other people and everybody raves about Warren Hardy's courses. I have found his courses to at a very basic level.

I think it depends on what level you want to make your choice. Good luck.
Pat

sfmacaws

Sep 3, 2003, 6:45 PM

Post #10 of 16 (2478 views)

Shortcut

Pat,

Thank you very much, that is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I'm an intermediate speaker with little grammar knowledge. I have taken spanish in school, way too many years ago, and lived in DF for a year around that time as well. I find that the longer I'm there the better it gets but I would like to leave the present tense occasionally ;) Since we spend about 6 months a year in MX, I find that my spanish is getting much better about the time we leave. I'm hoping to jump start that a little with this class. I'd also like to sound a little more intelligent than I do now. I know I sound about as bright as a bump on a log now in spanish so there is a lot of room for improvement.

I read the Warren Hardy web page and thought it was probably not the way I learn best. I do like seeing the structure and understanding it and I'm not fond of flip cards. I will go to the Universidad when I get there. We will be staying at the RV park behind the Siesta Motel across from the Ford dealer and the Cable Co, at least for awhile. Is the Universidad close by? We also have a car or we can take the bus, I was just wondering.

Thank you again for your help,

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

pathall

Sep 3, 2003, 7:44 PM

Post #11 of 16 (2472 views)

Shortcut

The Siesta Motel, the Ford dealership, and the cable company are all on Ancha de San Antonio. If you walk up Ancha de San Antonio towards the centre, there is a split where Ancha de San Antonio becomes Zacatecas and Codo. The University if right after the split on Zacatecas. It would take you 10 - 15 minutes to walk to the University from the RV park. It's also one of the few flat places in SMA and so it's an easy walk.

When will you be there?
Pat

sfmacaws

Sep 3, 2003, 9:12 PM

Post #12 of 16 (2463 views)

Shortcut

Well, that's even better, I know where that split in the road is and it is certainly close enough to walk. We plan to cross the border around the 1st of Nov and go straight to San Miguel. If we can get going sooner we will but I'm hoping it isn't much later than that. That would put us in San Miguel about Dia de los Muertos so perhaps we can get across sooner, I enjoy that holiday and would like to be somewhere and not on the road. Now that I think about it, it would probably be better to leave by the 28th of Oct. I always feel there are more drunks driving on holidays, thus we try not to be for most of them - US or MX.

There are several outside things that will decide how early we can go. Our passports are expiring and we didn't notice so we've sent them off but will have to wait for the new ones. We have business and family things to take care of in LA and don't yet know how long that will take and we have an obligation in Oregon at the beginning of October. It's always so hard to get out of Dodge, maybe that's why I dread returning?

I would love to meet you for lunch or dinner while we are there. I'll have a better idea of when after we get back from Oregon.

Thanks,

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

A Carol

Sep 15, 2003, 8:15 AM

Post #13 of 16 (2415 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Hi, this is my first day so I hope I am doing these correctly. You asked about good Spanish schools in San Miguel. You canNOT go wrong with Warren Hardy. He is the main teacher and he has 5 or 6 other teachers every day who come by your seat and listen and help you. He gives you a partner with whom you work for designated intervals during the class. My husband and I found this immensely helpful. Sometimes you are "the teacher" with your partner and you wouldn't believe (unless you are a teacher) how much you learn this way. Plus you really are motivated to study between classes and even after you are home. I don't want to scare you about this, the thing is it all becomes so much fun you do not want class to end! The other teachers offer reduced rates for tutoring between classes.

In addition, Warren and his wife Tuli are wonderfully friendly. Everything about the course is beautifully integrated. You get workbooks, game cards (fantastic), either CDs or audio tapes for listening and working along with, refreshments every morning, classes are in a beautiful old building. Warren has set the teaching environment for maximum "intake" on your part. Our entire class, and I am sure many other classes, agreed that Warren is THE best teacher they ever had for anything. GO.

His website is <www.WarrenHardy.com>

We are going back to SMA for December thru February and will take Level 2 and Level 3.

Any questions, please feel free to email.

Ali Carol

sfmacaws

Sep 16, 2003, 12:02 AM

Post #14 of 16 (2390 views)

Shortcut

Re: [A Carol] San Luis Potos to San Miguel

Thanks for the personal recommendation Carol, I do appreciate it. I think what I will do is go around when I get there and see what feels good and what will work out for us on this trip. We will probably spend about 10 days in SMA, and want only a one week class. Taking only a one week class may limit where we can go, we'll see.

Taking spanish courses is like visiting ruins for me, I like to take short classes in different places. It's a good way to get to know the area and to learn something as well. I think learning spanish is/will be an ongoing thing for me, never completed. It is the journey and the process that I enjoy.

Some friends in Akumal and I are planning a trip to Cuba this winter but this is one time I am going to skip the spanish class. I confuse everyone enough with my spanish without adding a layer of Cuban spanish which seems to confuse everyone else even when spoken by a native speaker. I may take a class in Antigua though later on, and I have Ecuador on my list of possible spanish school sites. I've always liked school, being retired lets me go back to being a professional student.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

A Carol

Sep 16, 2003, 6:51 PM

Post #15 of 16 (2372 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
HI, Jonna.

Your plan sounds pretty good. But I urge you to go and visit for at least parrt of one morning or afternoon. Warren and Tuli always allow that and this way you would get a better idea of what the classes are like.

Best of luck, Allene

Carol Schmidt

Oct 7, 2003, 1:19 PM

Post #16 of 16 (2306 views)

Shortcut

Re: Warren Hardy Spanish classes

I just happened upon this thread and wanted to add my recommendation of Warren Hardy. It's around $300 for the 2 1/2 week class, three hours a day, three days a week, three hours of homework a night. I took level 1 and sailed through, learned the 100 most common verbs and the six "power verbs" used as helpers with the other 100 (can, like, need, have to, go, be). The second level was very hard for me--past tense was okay, but the 12 most common past tense verbs are irregular, and did me in. Plus that level also brought in the word placement of me la, te lo, se lo, etc., and I was totally confused with all the pronouns. I kept on with one of the tutors for a few weeks and then got sick and haven't used much Spanish in four months, so I've forgotten a lot. Warren says a lot of people repeat Level 2, and I might do that. Level 3 has four more verb tenses, and I'd hate to go on without Level 2 being clear in my head.

I do feel I can communicate my own needs and wants fairly clearly in Spanish, but I'm still lost when someone replies!

Carol Schmidt

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4