Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

jennifer rose

Aug 30, 2003, 7:11 PM

Post #1 of 4 (3047 views)

Shortcut

Holidays in Mexico

Can't Post |
What's the one Mexican holiday that you wouldn't miss for love or money?

esperanza

Aug 30, 2003, 7:47 PM

Post #2 of 4 (3042 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Holidays in Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
One? She wants me to pick ONE? Golly...maybe...no...maybe...well...maybe...gosh...ONE?

Independence Day? Mother's Day? Cinco de Mayo? (Nah, not a chance.) Easter, or Christmas? Maybe the Feast of the Holy Innocents? El Día de la Raza? The Feast of the Holy Cross? Constitution Day? How can a person choose? Parades, fireworks, solemnity, spiritual beauty, filial devotion, patriots' fervor, drums and trumpets...

Mind you, I love them all.

But what I love the most are the Fiestas Patronales of the town I live in, all 9 days of cohetes blasting, fireworks showering down, impossible traffic, a 9-day tianguis set up on my beaten path, noise and hoopla and carrying on. I LOVE it, and I wouldn't miss it for the world.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Uncle Donnie

Aug 31, 2003, 5:58 PM

Post #3 of 4 (2991 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Holidays in Mexico

Can't Post |
Every year we trek over to Chapala where the locals throw a big birthday bash for me on the evening of Sept. 15 and always have so much fun they extend the festivities on through the next day, so of course I'd have to say Tio Donnie's Birthday!

Shameless self-promotion:
http://www.headformexico.com

Aaron+

Nov 14, 2014, 9:53 AM

Post #4 of 4 (2203 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Holidays in Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
Just a reminder, Nov. 20 is Mexican Revolution (1910-about 1920) Day, observed in 2014 on Monday, Nov. 17. Banks (except perhaps Azteca in Elektra stores, etc.), non-emergency medical services, government offices, all closed. But then if you are caught up in the Buen Fin (Nov. 14-17), Mexico's poor imitation of Black Friday, maybe you will not notice the closures.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4