Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

beverleywood

Aug 24, 2003, 6:26 PM

Post #1 of 8 (1488 views)

Shortcut

Do you locals all know each other?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Do you local Lake Chapala area folk know each other in person? Or just on the boards?

Just curious :)

johanson

Aug 24, 2003, 9:46 PM

Post #2 of 8 (1465 views)

Shortcut

Re: [beverleywood] Do you locals all know each other?

Beverley:

There are thousands of us from the US and Canada lakeside. So the odds of many of us knowing each other are quite small. That said, as you know my picture shows up on each post, and it did so for about 45 days this spring, before I returned to the North for the summer.

Several of my friends who use pseudonyms came up to me and identified themselves. Another 2 who I had never met introduced themselves to me. So I guess yes, especially if you post your picture, you will find that you know some of the folks.

Jerry@Ajijic

Aug 25, 2003, 7:49 AM

Post #3 of 8 (1438 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Do you locals all know each other?

Beverely, you have to also remember that "lakeside" is probably 50K. In addition many of the posters are from other parts of Mexico and other countries.

beverleywood

Aug 25, 2003, 11:33 AM

Post #4 of 8 (1423 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jerry@Ajijic] Do you locals all know each other?

I just wondered if any of you got together for drinks or anything as a result of this webboard... and met (on purpose) because of the online connection.

Georgia

Aug 25, 2003, 3:34 PM

Post #5 of 8 (1397 views)

Shortcut

Yes, we did.

PeggyS

Aug 26, 2003, 11:29 PM

Post #6 of 8 (1353 views)

Shortcut

There are so many opportunities to get to know each other that many of us do. The Lake Chapala Society, where you see many of the same people at the video club, the library, at lectures or Spanish lessons - Skip is a volunteer, as are others contributing to the forum. Uncle Jack and the lovely Miss Patty were also dinner guests at mutual friends' when we met them. Pete Johanson happened to be talking to Rod above the C.I.A. when I stopped to talk, and I met him, but I don't think he remembers (Hey Pete, I was the gorgeous blonde with the little dog). I met some others at the Navy League meetings, and also at the Canadian Club monthly getogethers at La Nueva Posada, both these clubs have wonderful speakers, really interesting people you wouldn't even know lived here unless you attended the meetings. And you don't have to have been in the Navy or Canada to join.
And sure, we get together. When I came down here alone to find a rental etc, several posters joined me at breakfast and recommended the place I finally ended up in, several others made sure I was never alone at dinner, the kindness of the people on this forum brings tears to my eyes. And now I try to answer questions and help out others who are moving down here.

beverleywood

Aug 27, 2003, 6:35 AM

Post #7 of 8 (1340 views)

Shortcut

Re: [PeggyS] Do you locals all know each other?

That's wonderful!

I have also been impressed by the kindness of people on these boards and can't wait to get down there :)

sandykayak

Aug 27, 2003, 7:54 AM

Post #8 of 8 (1324 views)

Shortcut

The warmth and welcome of posters to newbies is awesome. That is how I made my first online connections and then met them in personLakeside at the beginning of July.

What I find delightful now is that I have been able to introduce Lakesiders AND wannabees to each other when I realize that they have a lot in common.

examples include: two people with Rheumatoid Arthritis, two couples who live in the same development, two single gals solely dependent upon SS income, two married wannabee gals whose husbands have been laid off...and so on.
Sandy Kramer
Miami, Fla & El Parque

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4