Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

TomG

Sep 23, 2003, 9:24 PM

Post #26 of 32 (1814 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tfyoung] Spanish course

Can't Post | Private Reply
I think that tapes/CD's are helpful for pronunciation if one is not living around Spanish speakers. Audio CD's are better than tapes because you can zap back and forth fast and with precision. And even later one can find grammar hidden in the canned conversation responses.

But in actuality they all lack the feeling you get face to face when the other person does not say what you want or expect him to say. For the beginner speaker it is just plain scarey to be face to face in situations with non English speakers where they might say anything at all next, beyond what you might guess. So even if you do know a far amount you freeze and can't think of it. Being constantly comfortable in the company of non-English speaker is very important. And that forces one to become comfortable with your own shortcomings. Being willing to brazenly let your ignorance show for all to see is an important hurdle to cross. This lack of fear, and a playful attitude about learning and the joy that goes with it is what gives kids and advantage. Kids are not naturally smarter, they just don't tie themselves in a knot by letting their pride interfer with their learning.

Friends are the best answer. Boyfriends and girlfriends are best of all....assuming your not married. I settle for friends. ;-) I think one should do your homework with verbs and pronouns beforehand so you are not wasting their time. Books are best for that.

N2Futur

Sep 25, 2003, 9:04 AM

Post #27 of 32 (1807 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Kip] Spanish course

Kip, got tired of waiting for the library copy of Pimsleur Spanish 1, so I downloaded it from Kazaa (it was one huge file). If you would like a copy, send me a private message or e-mail me your address, and I'll burn one for you.

Elke

Kip

Sep 25, 2003, 10:18 AM

Post #28 of 32 (1790 views)

Shortcut

Re: [N2Futur] Spanish course

You are amazing! And a queen among women!!! Yes!!! I would love it! (have I gone far enough over the top yet?)

Thanks Elke. I really do appreciate it. When it comes to computers and Spanish I'm hopelessly inadequate,..for now.

BTW if there's ever a fight? I want you on my side!

Kip
kip

Brian

Sep 26, 2003, 6:25 AM

Post #29 of 32 (1787 views)

Shortcut

Re: [N2Futur] Spanish course

N2Futur

How much did you pay for it? l assume it isn't pirated/stolen, right? I thought that Kazaa was a file-sharing program that people use to avoid paying for copywrited materials. If I am wrong, please correct me. Thanks

Brian

N2Futur

Sep 26, 2003, 11:53 AM

Post #30 of 32 (1769 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] Spanish course

Brian, you are correct. Kazaa is one of the many peer-to peer file sharing programs. I paid nothing to download it.

Elke

tfyoung

Sep 28, 2003, 3:48 PM

Post #31 of 32 (1760 views)

Shortcut

Has anybody used the Puerta del Sol program? Its a little bit advanced for me, but sounds like a good idea. You can evidently subscribe to it and they send you a booklet and CD or tape. I believe it comes every two months. I have only bought one month to see what it is like. It is mostly Castillian, but sounds like a very good way to break out of beginner Spanish. The issue I got has interviews with people, some music, etc. The booklet has the text in Spanish and English. Here is the website.

http://www.champs-elysees.com/products/spanish/default.aspx

gurley

Nov 2, 2003, 12:46 PM

Post #32 of 32 (1841 views)

Shortcut

Hola!

Just another tape/CD course I've read about: Platiquemos - supposedly used by the State Department. Has anyone hear of it and/or used it?

Thanks,

Rosa
God Bless the World - No Exceptions!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4