Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Bill_N

Aug 6, 2003, 3:08 AM

Post #1 of 18 (1893 views)

Shortcut

Great REAL Texas Barbeque

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi all,

Just returned from vacation in the Lake Chapala area. We stayed out in Jocotepec at a B&B called Los Dos. Great choice! I highly recommend it. Also while in Jocotepec we discovered a great place to eat REAL Texas Barbeque. Thought I would share this on the forum in case people living in the Chapala area or visiting were not aware of this little eatery. It is called Tom's Barbeque or something like that and is located right at the intersection of the main road leading out of Jocotepec west of town and the highway going north to Guad. Going through Jocotepec stay on the main road until you get to the Plaza, turn left, go about three blocks to the first light, turn right and you are on your way out of town on the main road again. About a mile further at the intersection of this road and the highway is Tom's Place. Great Texas Barbeque. Try it. You'll like it! Beer is only $120 pesos a bottle also. Can't beat the prices.

Just thought I would share this in case some were not aware of this "out of the way" eatery.

Regards

Bill

Play Email Lotto... Win a Million Dollars
Hey Ya Never Know... http://tinyurl.com/7c9vz

Search Cheapest Int'l Calling Rates
http://ld.net/calculator/?lowrates

Bubba

Aug 6, 2003, 8:11 AM

Post #2 of 18 (1853 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bill_N] Great REAL Texas Barbeque

Can't Post |
Lucy's Deli east of Jocotepec has the best pizza at Lakeside in case Tom has run out of bbq. That Tom is a rascal charging you $120 pesos for a beer. I'll sell you bottles of beer all day for that amount. In fact, I'll sell you two for the price of one. Just kidding. Clearly you meant $12 pesos, I hope.

Villa de RQ

Aug 6, 2003, 9:00 AM

Post #3 of 18 (1842 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Great REAL Texas Barbeque

Bubba,

You never got my private reply because none of the three 3 e-mail addresses you listed recognize you as a valid user.

Uncle Jack

Aug 6, 2003, 9:16 AM

Post #4 of 18 (1838 views)

Shortcut

I kinda suspected.......

......that Bubba needed validation.......and yes, the food at Lucys is worth the drive to Joco.

uj

Bill_N

Aug 7, 2003, 1:31 AM

Post #5 of 18 (1784 views)

Shortcut

Oops, yes I meant $12 pesos not 120 pesos for a beer. On average in most restaurants, even the nicest restaurants I paid $15 to 18 pesos for a beer. In some restaurants a beer ranged from $18 to $20 pesos (still a good deal). In the states, even in a hamburger joint you will pay a minimum of $2.50 (that would be cheap). Last night in a nice restaurant two beers cost me $6.50. Outragious!

Regards

Bill

Gary Anderson

Aug 7, 2003, 1:44 PM

Post #6 of 18 (1754 views)

Shortcut

If you think $6.50 for 2 beers is outrageous, you should go to a Seattle Mariner's baseball game at Safeco Field sometime and order 2 beers. You'll be shocked. SHOCKED!!

BTW, I hate to have to be the one to tell you this, but the words "real" and "Texas BBQ" comprise an oxymoron. Everybody knows that the only place to get real BBQ is Tennessee. I must therefore take all recommendations of Tom's BBQ in Joco with a shot of skepticism on the side.

Bill_N

Aug 7, 2003, 1:57 PM

Post #7 of 18 (1752 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gary Anderson] Great REAL Texas Barbeque

I agree Tennessee BBQ is also excellent. I've had both Texas and Tennessee BBQ and like both. But if you are in Mexico real BBQ (whether Texas or Tennessee) is hard to find, so I just thought I'd pass on this little tip about Tom's Place.

Regards

Bill

Gary Anderson

Aug 7, 2003, 2:03 PM

Post #8 of 18 (1751 views)

Shortcut

I know, Bill, I was just poking fun at the Texans on the forum. One of my favorite hobbies is making fun of Texans, and with the wealth of material to work with these days, it keeps me pretty busy. Don't take too much of what I say seriously.

gbatrucks

Jun 25, 2004, 2:33 PM

Post #9 of 18 (1426 views)

Shortcut

Finally figured out how to get to Texas from Phoenix...Go east 'till you smell it, then south 'till you step in it. He He.

Trucks
"The trouble with life is there's no background music."

ziret

Jun 26, 2004, 5:48 AM

Post #10 of 18 (1367 views)

Shortcut

No kidding about the beers at Safeco--and they serve it in a plastic bottle and take away the cap. And the way the Mariners are doing this year, you'd need two. Did you see the game last night, Gary? What happened with what's-his-face not scoring in the last inning?

Teri

Bubba

Jun 26, 2004, 12:21 PM

Post #11 of 18 (1322 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ziret] Great REAL Texas Barbeque

Well, with due respect for my Texan and Tennessean amigos here, any true Alabama boy knows that a barbeque is by definition a pulled pork sandwich made in the vicinity of Bumin'ham in a shack and served with cold beer. The best BBQ, however, comes from the Carolinas but only if they use the vinegar based sauce rather than that insipid sweet stuff usually found in Texas where they actually barbeque beef for God's sake!!!

Tom's is very good, however as is Lucy's pizza and to enjoy these places you don't have to be in Texas, Tennessee, Alabama or the Carolinas. There is much to be said for that.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Jun 26, 2004, 12:23 PM)

gbatrucks

Jun 28, 2004, 3:57 PM

Post #12 of 18 (1227 views)

Shortcut

Wit a big heapin' scoop of Tidewater cole slaw on top of that 'Q..AND DAT'S WHAT I LIKE ABOUT THE SOUTH!!

Trucks

Bubba

Jun 29, 2004, 10:24 AM

Post #13 of 18 (1194 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gbatrucks] Great REAL Texas Barbeque

I'm beginning to like you Trucks. Do you happen to have a recipe for Tidewater Coleslaw or your favorite Carolina BBQ sauce? When I lived in the SF Bay Area, I had Carolina BBQ sauce and boiled peanuts shipped FedEx to me from a firm in that neck of the woods but they refused to ship down here.

Which reminds me, there is a mayonnaise made in Richmond , VA called Dukes that is sugar free and the best mayonnaise made in the USofA. Absolutely delicious and only available along the Eastern Seaboard from about Virginia to South Carolina as far as I know. I also used to have them ship me care packages of that stuff to San Francisco. Since most mayonnaise made and sold in Mexico is atrocious, including the Mexican version of Hellmans modified for local tastes, I found a firm that would send me Dukes down here in Ajijic. This was a costly proposition but was well worth it. Cole slaw or potato salad made with Dukes rises above normal mortal experience.

I must say here that, of course, the French make far and away the best mayonnaise on the planet but that is another story.

Uncle Jack

Jun 29, 2004, 10:46 AM

Post #14 of 18 (1190 views)

Shortcut

Jeeze, Bubba, I'm amazed. Why anyone who owns a kitchen blender or electric mixer would want for good mayonnaise is unthinkable. Not only can you keep it sugar free, but you can vary the taste and texture with different mustards, and oils. I make mine with olive oil and French or German mustards.

You're right, the imported is too expensive and the local stuff is.......well. What can I say? Some people even eat Miracle Whip. The same goes for barbecue sauce. We usually make two or three quarts at a time and bottle or freeze it.

uj

Bubba

Jun 29, 2004, 11:01 AM

Post #15 of 18 (1190 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Jack] Great REAL Texas Barbeque

UJ:

Unfortunately, I cannot make homemade mayonnaise without ending up with ailoi.

Uncle Jack

Jun 29, 2004, 11:04 AM

Post #16 of 18 (1188 views)

Shortcut

So! What's the problem? Garlic is a basic food group.

gbatrucks

Jun 29, 2004, 11:37 AM

Post #17 of 18 (1182 views)

Shortcut

I know I've got that recipe at the Casa...will find & send tonight. As I mentioned earlier, I took a break from the aerospace industry in the '70, & ran off to Ruidoso, NM to be the proprieter of "Sonny's Bar-B-Q"...Great fun until the Peso & the Oil Patch all crashed in the same year.

Trucks

tntex

Jun 29, 2004, 4:47 PM

Post #18 of 18 (1146 views)

Shortcut

Bubber: we get Duke's in eastern Tennessee and u r right it is goood. ever try JFG made in Knoxville, good also
tntex

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4