Forums  > General > General Forum

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Jul 30, 2003, 7:44 PM

Post #1 of 3 (3005 views)

Shortcut

Help to find island's name

Can't Post | Private Reply
¡Hola, todos!

Can anyone help me find out the name of an island a woman who wrote me wants to know? Here's what she sent me...

As for the Island, I found my map and what I am looking for is the spelling of that island. It is near Presa Miguel Aleman which is a Dam and it is near Temezcal or Temaxcal, in the state of Oaxaca. I found a blurb about this city and the river where the island is, and on the map the island is there, it just doesn't have a name. I want to find more information on the island and it's difficult without the name. Here is the blurb that I found (so maybe with this information someone in Jalapa might know what I'm talking about? ) Presa Presidente Miguel Alemán (PRAI-sah mee-GEL ah-lai-MAHN), dam, in N Oaxaca, Mexico, 3.1 mi/5 km W of Temazcal, built on the Tonto R. (from the Papaloapan R. basin). Built for irrigation, flood control, and for generating electricity (max. capacity 720,000 kw). Also known as Temascal. Please tell me the name of the island and any other pertinent information. ¡Mil gracias!
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

ET

Jul 30, 2003, 8:16 PM

Post #2 of 3 (3000 views)

Shortcut

Re: ["El Gringo Jalapeño"] Help to find island's name

....Here is the blurb that I found (so maybe with this information someone in Jalapa might know what I'm talking about? ) Presa Presidente Miguel Alemán (PRAI-sah mee-GEL ah-lai-MAHN), dam, in N Oaxaca, Mexico, 3.1 mi/5 km W of Temazcal, built on the Tonto R. (from the Papaloapan R. basin). Built for irrigation, flood control, and for generating electricity (max. capacity 720,000 kw). Also known as Temascal....

The blurb is a direct quote from The Columbia Gazetteer of North America a standard geographical encyclopedia. Unfortunately, the maps I have show a large body of water (probably the reservoir associated with the dam) in the area with over half a dozen islands, none of which were labeled on the maps I looked at.

Maybe she can offer some information as to why she's interested in the island, which might help to jog somebody's memory.

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Jul 30, 2003, 9:11 PM

Post #3 of 3 (2996 views)

Shortcut

She found it!

This is what she wrote...

I found it. See I only need to tell someone about it and I would find it, it is called SAN MIGUEL SOYALTEPEC I was kind of close. Anyway, if you want to take a tour group to a really cool place, that is it. You take a launch from Temaxcal to Soyaltepec, it's like a 15 minute boat ride and there are many pelicans that some and sit on the water. You get there and the boat person waits two hours for you. You climb up the mountain and at the top of the mountain is a civilization where time has not touched. There is a 500 year old Catholic church still in use. I assume nothing has changed since 1999. A worthwhile inexpensive trip. here is the link to find it. if you are interested in it. It includes a picture of the church. I'm just reading the page now http://www.bioplaneta.com/espanol/productores/islasoyaltepec.html Sounds interesting! I'll have to check it out some day soon. ¡Portense mal y cuidense bien!
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4