First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

esperanza

Jul 30, 2003, 6:16 PM

Post #26 of 50 (4056 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Books for LCS

| Private Reply
*Faints*

Upon reviving: you know who is under all that Tammy Faye makeup, don't you? It's Jimmy Hoffa.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Bubba

Jul 30, 2003, 6:30 PM

Post #27 of 50 (4054 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Books for LCS

|
That Jimmy Hoffa joke is so old that it was first told on Arthur Godfreys' Breakfast Club before Jimmy even disappeared. Actually, when they removed Tammy Faye's makeup, they discovered Mr. Ed.

If you remember Arthur Godfrey's Breakfast Club, just go ahead and shoot yourself. You're already deader that the Lake Chapala Society anyway!

esperanza

Jul 30, 2003, 8:57 PM

Post #28 of 50 (4048 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
At least it was Mr. Ed and not Rex the Horse.

I do in fact remember Arthur Godfrey. From the radio, and then from TV. And I remember Tallulah Bankhead...I aspired to BE her.

Uncle Jack

Jul 31, 2003, 3:43 AM

Post #29 of 50 (4041 views)

Shortcut

Arthur Godfrey, Hell.........

| Private Reply
........I remember Don McNeils Breakfast Club. You want to get up and march around the table?

uj

Villa de RQ

Jul 31, 2003, 5:50 AM

Post #30 of 50 (4035 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Bubba,

I am curious! How do you know so much about the LCS? Were you an elected officer with LCS? Were you a long time volunteer dedicating your time to helping others.

I find your comments to be those of someone with inside the LCS insite.

FeelinGroovy

Jul 31, 2003, 8:42 AM

Post #31 of 50 (4015 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Jack] Arthur Godfrey, Hell.........

| Private Reply
I remember "marching 'round the breakfast table". It was on around the time Joe the milkman made his delivery -- right before the Helms Bakery truck came by ...
Libby

Roses5410

Aug 3, 2003, 2:24 PM

Post #32 of 50 (3974 views)

Shortcut

Re: [berniegu] Books for LCS

| Private Reply
Oh now I get it! ...An inside job!!! :)
I love taking pictures...check out my prints for sale @ http://Rosacalaca.dpcprints.com/

Bubba

Aug 3, 2003, 3:06 PM

Post #33 of 50 (3965 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Books for LCS

|
Esparanza:

You are one funny dudette. You are the type of amusing person I have felt was out there somewhere. But, Norman Vincent Peale? How about Giselle McKenzie on the Lucky Strike Hit Parade? We are not long for this world which may please some among us.

esperanza

Aug 3, 2003, 3:22 PM

Post #34 of 50 (3963 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I do remember Giselle McKenzie. But I didn't know she ran around with Norman Vincent Peale. And yes, Bubba, you are so right: I am one funny dudette.

Bubba

Aug 4, 2003, 12:03 PM

Post #35 of 50 (3927 views)

Shortcut

|
berniegu:

OK, since you aksed, berniegu, my closing statement on the LCS.

I know you were ribbing me on the hope that your statement posed as a question would be too difficult for someone with the moniker "Bubba" to figure out. I took the self-effacing nom de plume of "Bubba" because Norman Vincent Peale, "The Pep Boys", Cal Worthington (Come see Cal... [ you have to be from California]) and "Shining Path" were already taken.

The LCS is an organization beloved by many. As Jerry said, Bubba is just kidding. The French (one of which I had the pleasure to appoint my significant other many years ago) have a couple of sayings that fit the bill down at the Gringo Clique.

"People making their own cinema."

"Those who (expell gas) higher than (that place from which it is meant to be expelled).

johanson

Aug 4, 2003, 12:14 PM

Post #36 of 50 (3924 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Bubba: I was in Tegucigalpa, Honduras, a couple of weeks ago and was watching cable TV. I was watching channel 11 CBS out of Anchorage AK. And there was Cal Worthinton in all his glory selling cars, I nearly died. He was in Seattle for a while too. Gee, what does that have to do with books for LCS? I'm not sure. Maybe Cal was an avid reader

Kip

Aug 4, 2003, 12:55 PM

Post #37 of 50 (3916 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Books for LCS

| Private Reply
Did he have his "dod Spot" with him?
kip

Villa de RQ

Aug 4, 2003, 1:05 PM

Post #38 of 50 (3913 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
But Bubba, alas, you did figure it out!!

May I hold you to your word of it being the last SLAM on the LCS?

I am not a member of LCS and have only a little background in what they do , but I think it is more good than bad.

I bought a Datsun 200 SX from Cal Worthington.

All Bubbas in Texas are treated with respect.
Bernie Gudaitis

Bubba

Aug 4, 2003, 1:16 PM

Post #39 of 50 (3909 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Books for LCS

|
Johanson:

I was ribbing berniegu who was ribbing me about my (marginal) affiliation with the LCS. Cal Worthington may have never read a book in his life but I remember him from when I first arrived in L.A. in about 1966. This was one successful fellow from all apearances.

My affiliation with the LCS has consisted of the following:

Went to the "Newcomers'" Desk immediately after arriving here two years ago only to watch the poor elderly volunteer frantically searching through this dog- eared binder looking for the answer to some complex question such as "Where can I find a good vet?" Never got an answer. I thought she was going to expire.

Rented all of the Soprano tapes. That was fun. Also rented two hideously unacceptable home made VCRs which were of such poor quality that they reminded me of the old scratched up Gene Autrey records I threw away in 1971.

Went through the library which reminded me of the the book exchange club at the Motel 6 in Modesto.

Bought one cup of Arizona country style dreadful coffee made with a sock there two years ago.

Got ripped off in a big way by their "group" health plan with Seguros Monterrey.

My future affiliation with the LCS is:

Ex-member.

Bubba

Aug 4, 2003, 1:30 PM

Post #40 of 50 (3904 views)

Shortcut

|
Ah, Bernie, I'm beginning to like you. I admire those who participate in these sorts of competitions - especially those who are engagingly underhanded. I'm sorry, I didn't know you were a Texan. I realize that Bubba is a term of respect in Texas comparable to Colonel or Uncle in my native Alabama.

However, I must disappoint you. The LCS is an itch I must occasionally scratch. I will, however, try to be fair. Their current management is trying to bring the organization into the 21st century. After a year of that effort, however, I would not be surprised to see them all run for the border. There are some contentious old geezers over there with whom they must deal. This is not easy. Believe it or not, I wish them luck.

Kip

Aug 4, 2003, 1:34 PM

Post #41 of 50 (3902 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Kip] Books for LCS

| Private Reply
I meant Dog Spot, This creeping senilty is getting serious!
kip

Villa de RQ

Aug 4, 2003, 3:13 PM

Post #42 of 50 (3887 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
BUBBA,

Need a PRIVATE REPLY!!

Bubba

Aug 4, 2003, 7:59 PM

Post #43 of 50 (3859 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Kip] Books for LCS

|
Kip:

I understand Dog Spot. I have three huge mastiffs and a Perrito de Calle and my life is filled with "Dog Spots".

Jerry@Ajijic

Aug 4, 2003, 8:11 PM

Post #44 of 50 (3855 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Bubba, Ya'll are making me feel younger. It thought I was one of the few oldies for whom a Sears catalog was a necessary "fixture" in the outhouse. I can also remember when we got a COLEMAN LANTERN which was such a improvement in lighting over the kerosene lamps and did not smell. Ah yes, we have come a long way.

Kip

Aug 5, 2003, 3:02 AM

Post #45 of 50 (3845 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Mastiffs are way cool if a bit slobbery. but what is a Perrito de Calle? I think my most favorite of "Cal's" Dog Spot was that huge Brahma.

Kip
kip

Uncle Jack

Aug 5, 2003, 5:11 AM

Post #46 of 50 (3844 views)

Shortcut

Perrito de Calle

| Private Reply
A "Perrito de Calle", my dear, is a little street dog usually of questionable parentage and, most often, a damned fine pet. Don't worry, there are still few left down here for deserving owners.

uj

Villa de RQ

Aug 5, 2003, 10:49 AM

Post #47 of 50 (3856 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Bubba,

E-Mail address you gave me does not go thru??

Bubba

Aug 6, 2003, 10:39 AM

Post #48 of 50 (3825 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Jack] Perrito de Calle

|
I had forgotten about Cal's Brahma. That was priceless. I loved living in L.A. Great town if you don't have to drive across it. Anybody here remember Joe Pyne?

Kip

Aug 6, 2003, 11:36 AM

Post #49 of 50 (3817 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Perrito de Calle

| Private Reply
I think the movie with Whoopie Goldberg and Ted Dansen, Made in America?. was a direct take off on ole Cal. He'd come up with the most outrageous things!

Kip
kip

ziret

Aug 9, 2003, 10:21 PM

Post #50 of 50 (3794 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Books for LCS/Cal Worthington in Federal Way--it's the Only Way!

| Private Reply
I thought they were singing Whoopee Cow, Whoopee Cow, Whoopee Cow--instead of Go See Cal, Go See Cal, Go See Cal!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4