Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sandykayak

Jul 24, 2003, 8:22 AM

Post #1 of 50 (6748 views)

Shortcut

Books for LCS

| Private Reply
I did take some patterns and a couple of books to donate, but now I have to seriously go through the bookshelves.

I already have about 8 or 10 books that I would like to donate to the Lake Chapala Society. If anyone is willing to take them, I would be willing to pay for the postage to mail it to your US address.

I know several people seem to be going in September. I'd only send about 6 or less books at a time - things like Grisham, Amy Tan and some other bestsellers. Might also find some videos that I don't need to keep.

It is in all of our interests that the Library be well-stocked. If anyone is willing, please email me privately with your address/phone/date of departure.
Sandy Kramer
Miami, Fla & El Parque

Howard Botz

Jul 26, 2003, 9:23 AM

Post #2 of 50 (6702 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sandykayak] Books for LCS

| Private Reply
Another option is to go to the post office and mail the books in an "M" bag (a large canvas bag). I have been mailing books to the LCS for a couple of years this way. A full bag usually costs me around $15

Howard in Seattle

Bubba

Jul 26, 2003, 12:56 PM

Post #3 of 50 (6685 views)

Shortcut

Post deleted by jennifer rose |

Jean

Jul 26, 2003, 2:11 PM

Post #4 of 50 (6676 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Books for LCS

| Private Reply
Anitas Animals at the tiangis every Wednesday is always in need of books. They only take donations and people usually bring back books so we can recycle them. They also take videos if you have some you would like to give away.

http://www.anitasanimals.com
Retirement Communities
http://www.retirecommunities.com

juan david

Jul 26, 2003, 2:49 PM

Post #5 of 50 (6675 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Well actually, Bubba, the LCS does have value to offer many people. It's not a sacred cow by any means, but it does serve some people well, some minimally and I guess, some not at all. So, cheer up!
" let sleeping dogs lie"

jsandrock

Jul 27, 2003, 6:37 AM

Post #6 of 50 (6643 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Howard Botz] Books for LCS

| Private Reply
This is a fantastic idea! My husband and I have been giving books to our local public library in preparation for our hoped-for move to Ajijic but I've been reluctant to give away certain ones I thought I might want to re-read down the line. If I just give'em to the LCS they will be there if I want to revisit them! Then I don't have to pay for moving and storing them when someone else could also be enjoying these books meanwhile, since it may take us a long time (sigh) to get down there. Do you just send the bag or is there a person there to contact to facilitate this?

Thanks again -- never would have thought of this myself!

Jillian Sandrock

sandykayak

Jul 27, 2003, 7:29 AM

Post #7 of 50 (6632 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Tuatha_de_Danann] Books for LCS

| Private Reply
tuatha (is that your name?), thanks for the link to Anita's Animals website.

I did, in fact, make a cash donation when I was at the tianguis and will bookmark her site. (There are links to send cash donations (via credit card, I'm sure) on the site.)
Sandy Kramer
Miami, Fla & El Parque

Jerry@Ajijic

Jul 27, 2003, 8:30 AM

Post #8 of 50 (6621 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Bubba we work in the LCS library and know there are a great many people that depend on LCS for their reading material. Granted the library do not have everything but it is now getting set up on computers and is ordering new books. You may not like it but so far as I know it is one of the best if not the best English language library i Mexico.

Howard Botz

Jul 27, 2003, 8:31 AM

Post #9 of 50 (6620 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jsandrock] Books for LCS

| Private Reply
I have done it two ways:

I take the books in shopping bags and just slip them into the large canvass bag. It holds about 1 1/2 shopping bags. Or, I pack the books in a box which goes in the bag. If you can get a hold of one of the boxes that copy paper comes in one of those just fits the bag.

The 'M' bag is roped shut and addressed. It takes at least 5 weeks to arrive from Seattle. If you need their address you can e mail me. I was down there in May and talked with the volunteers in the library. They appreciate the books. If my house ever sells I will be down there forever, but in the meantime I am collecting for one final shipment.

Howard

Bubba

Jul 27, 2003, 10:30 AM

Post #10 of 50 (6609 views)

Shortcut

pat

Jul 27, 2003, 10:51 AM

Post #11 of 50 (6604 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] You oughtta talk to David

| Private Reply
.....about writing an article for his Mexico-Connect magazine. That, in itself, would be worth the $30.00 admission fee.

Pat

jsandrock

Jul 27, 2003, 4:27 PM

Post #12 of 50 (6590 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Where do you purchase the "M" canvas bags? Is this something I can buy anywhere? I think I can get my hands on xerox paper cartons from my office!
Thanks! - Jillian

Howard Botz

Jul 27, 2003, 8:02 PM

Post #13 of 50 (6570 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
You do not purchase them. You just go to the post office and say you want to mail books to Mexico via M bag. They go in back and get the bag. It really is quite simple. You may get a postal employee who is unfamiliar with the M bag routine but they can find someone who knows about them.

Howard

jennifer rose

Jul 27, 2003, 8:16 PM

Post #14 of 50 (6569 views)

Shortcut

|
When mailing books at the M bag rate, be sure to pack them in boxes or Tyvek envelopes, properly addressed, including the telephone number of your destination, just as if you were mailing them in those boxes or envelopes. There will be a separate tag available at the P.O. to fill out with the destination address. Simply expecting to toss the books in the canvas bag isn't the wisest course of action. The bags aren't always the cleanest, and there is the opportunity for the parcel to become separated from the bag. Boxes too large for the bag are delivered at the M bag rate, with the M bag tag simply affixed to them.

More than one envelope or box can be inserted in the M bag. I found it more effective to use smaller boxes to avert having a box split open in transit.

For more information about the M bag rate, see the USPS website at http://www.usps.gov

franzenz

Jul 28, 2003, 3:06 AM

Post #15 of 50 (6556 views)

Shortcut

Post deleted by jennifer rose | Private Reply

Bubba

Jul 28, 2003, 8:08 AM

Post #16 of 50 (6543 views)

Shortcut

Howard Botz

Jul 28, 2003, 8:18 AM

Post #17 of 50 (6541 views)

Shortcut

Post deleted by jennifer rose | Private Reply

sandykayak

Jul 28, 2003, 1:23 PM

Post #18 of 50 (6509 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Well, I'll check out the "M" thing, so you might as well post the LCS address....

but if anyone going is willing to schlep a few, i think it will be cheaper for me to mail to a US address.
Sandy Kramer
Miami, Fla & El Parque

Howard Botz

Jul 28, 2003, 1:47 PM

Post #19 of 50 (6508 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sandykayak] Books for LCS

| Private Reply
The Lake Chapala Society, APDO 177, 45920 Ajijic, Jalisco, Mexico

jsandrock

Jul 28, 2003, 8:32 PM

Post #20 of 50 (6479 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Thanks for posting this, Howard -- I was going to ask you for the address...this weekend I'll get a pile of books together and head to the Post Office and see if our wonderful post office here in Santa Fe (here in New Mexico they take lessons from the postal service in OLD Mexico!) has ever heard of an "M" bag...

Many thanks,
Jillian Sandrock

Bubba

Jul 29, 2003, 9:41 PM

Post #21 of 50 (6441 views)

Shortcut

Jerry@Ajijic

Jul 30, 2003, 7:31 AM

Post #22 of 50 (6519 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Everyone must remember BUBBA IS JUST BEING "FUNNY". The LCS library has not quite finished putting their 25,000+ books on computer because we are putting new books on the computer as well as finishing up with non fiction. If you can, please continue to donate books. We particularly need more LARGE PRINT books. Also if someone would like to donate comic books I am sure Bubba would appreciate having something to read.

Bubba

Jul 30, 2003, 4:50 PM

Post #23 of 50 (6500 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jerry@Ajijic] Books for LCS

|
Thank you Jerry. you could have said that Bubba was "trying" to be be funny.

Actually, Jerry, one who actually goes down to the LCS library simply for personal entertainment has what i would call a low value happiness quotient It's true that there are 25,000 books there but 24,117 of them star Rex The Horse who personally stopped reading at Number 12 just before he went insane.

esperanza

Jul 30, 2003, 5:23 PM

Post #24 of 50 (6496 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Ha, the library has been upgraded if it contains 24,117 volumes of Rex the Horse. Up until recently it was 24,117 volumes (in large print editions) of Dr. Norman Vincent Peale.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Jul 30, 2003, 5:25 PM)

Bubba

Jul 30, 2003, 6:06 PM

Post #25 of 50 (6492 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Books for LCS

|
Esparanza:
Success finally! I've been fishing here for weeks trying to find someone with a sense of humor. The LCS VHS library was recently blessed with a tape of Jim and Tammy Faye's anniversary gala starring Ephram Zimbalist, Jr. but you can't check it out for a month since it is in great demand just behind Zamphire's Greatest Hits played by the world's most renown Skin Flute Symphony Orchestra out of Tammy Winette World in Nashville, Missouri. I'm sorry, that was the Dried Banana Peal Quartet. Excuse me, that was the world's most famous String Tub Ensemble out of the Catskills which will be in Ajijic next month to kick off the Lakeside Opera Buff's season celebrating its new name, Hicks "R" Us. It's nice to live in such a sophisticated place.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4