Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

chasfree

Jul 18, 2003, 1:26 PM

Post #1 of 2 (1532 views)

Shortcut

"Popping" in Tijuana

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have read recently two accounts of people being "popped" in Tijuana--that is to say, being hit on the head a sharp blow with something rather heavy to facilitate their being robbed. I intend to spend a couple of months this winter in Tijuana, but I won't likely be visiting the touristy areas? Is this likely to be a problem for me?

Thanks.

Gayla

Jul 20, 2003, 9:18 AM

Post #2 of 2 (1504 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chasfree] "Popping" in Tijuana

Can't Post | Private Reply
Probably not. Do you know where in Tijuana you're likely to be spending time? Like any large city it has areas that are safe and areas that aren't. The more attention you pay to your own personal safety - such as where you are, time of day, people around you, street lighting, your own body language (i.e. do you appear vulnerable) - the less likely you are to become a victim. Tijuana is the 3rd largest city in Mexico. It has experienced tremendous growth, offers business and economic opportunity and a lively cultural stage. As in other parts of Mexico, business, economic growth and the rich cultural heritage like cheek by jowl with grinding poverty and a violent drug trade.

Baja is a wonderful place (even if has been terribly gringoized over the last 20 years). But, by and large it is also a very safe place. If you think and act like a victim then you probably will be. If you think and act like you belong there, chances are pretty good you won't be a victim and that you'll have a great time.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4