Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DavidMcL

Jul 18, 2003, 8:50 AM

Post #1 of 26 (6542 views)

Shortcut

So, if you could "Chat" with a particular expert, author, resource person . . .

Can't Post | Private Reply
As promised, the Mexico Connect on-line conference software is nearly ready.
This will enable us to conduct regular, moderated discussions with individual resource persons.
The set-up will be like a Chat room, with questions/answers/discussions being available to all subscribers who are online at the time.

So.
Here is your first opportunity to help me set up and arrange a "Speakers List". Who do you want to have on-line.
As long as it is relevant to Mexico, anything goes!

I am excited at being able to offer this service, and am very curious as to whom you want to "talk" with!

David
David McL
WebJefe

(This post was edited by DavidMcL on Jul 24, 2003, 7:39 AM)

gpk

Jul 19, 2003, 9:24 AM

Post #2 of 26 (6468 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidMcL] So, if you could "Chat" with a particular expert, author, resource person . . .

The consul in San Miguel.

Esteban

Jul 19, 2003, 2:08 PM

Post #3 of 26 (6453 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidMcL] So, if you could "Chat" with a particular expert, author, resource person . . .

Since there have been many complaints directed to INAH representatives in the Mazatlan area, I'd like to talk to someone "up the ladder" to find out the real truth about what can and cannot be done when remodelling a historical structure. There are no guidelines printed, there are no construction techniques written down and basically it's seems to be a matter of "how the officials here feel that day" as to how decisions are made. Yes, I'd like to have some guidance in these matters....

Lavanda

Jul 19, 2003, 4:15 PM

Post #4 of 26 (6435 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Diana Kennedy
Pablo Montanero
"Chente" Fox

jennifer rose

Jul 19, 2003, 7:57 PM

Post #5 of 26 (6421 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Sam Quinones, author of “True Tales of Another Mexico.”

Ruben Martinez, author of “Crossing Over.”

Susannah Joel Glusker, who teaches “Women of Mexico” at the Universidad Iberoamericana, and who wrote a biography of her mother, Anita Brenner, a journalist, art critic, and anthropologist whose family emigrated to Mexico just before the Revolution.

Santiago Creel

Jorge Woldenberg

Marta Sahagún de Fox

Guadalupe Loaeza

Elena Poniatowska

Diana Kennedy

DavidMcL

Jul 19, 2003, 8:38 PM

Post #6 of 26 (6417 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Now we are getting somewhere!

Keep 'em coming!
David McL
WebJefe

pat

Jul 20, 2003, 5:54 AM

Post #7 of 26 (6397 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidMcL] Now we are getting somewhere!

Karen Blue, author of Midlife Mavericks, Women Reinventing Their Lives In Mexico.

skwala

Jul 20, 2003, 12:33 PM

Post #8 of 26 (6364 views)

Shortcut

Yes! By all means, Diana Kennedy.

mexigrl

Jul 20, 2003, 5:23 PM

Post #9 of 26 (6343 views)

Shortcut

Diana Kennedy

Karen Blue

Tony Cohen (author of On Mexican Time)

Looking forward to it!

Mexigrl

Bob-in-Iowa

Jul 21, 2003, 6:10 AM

Post #10 of 26 (6316 views)

Shortcut

Karl Franz "The People's Guide to Mexico"

jennifer rose

Jul 21, 2003, 10:42 PM

Post #11 of 26 (6267 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bob-in-Iowa] So, if you could "Chat" with a particular expert, author, resource person . . .

Can't Post |
Don Adams. The "Uncle Donnie" one, not the guy who talked into his shoe.

Tony Burton.

C.M. Mayo, author of "Miraculous Air"

Frances Toor. (Oh, she's dead.)

Ray Cote. (Oh, he's also reached his expiration date.)

William Spratling (Ditto.)

Nebraska native Sara Hoch, who was director of the Guanajuato State Film Commission

Ron Lavender (Acapulco)

Esteban Rosenthal (Erongaricuaro)

Ralph Gray (Patzcuaro)

David Lida

bthunder

Jul 22, 2003, 3:48 PM

Post #12 of 26 (6238 views)

Shortcut

Tony Cohen, to tell him I've read On Mexico Time a zillion times

the people responsible for messing up lake Chapala

the people responsible for cleaning up Lake Chapala

Antonio Banderas, for obvious reasons
Tracie

Caminante, no hay camino.
Se hace camino al andar.

Blackjack Davie

Jul 22, 2003, 5:20 PM

Post #13 of 26 (6231 views)

Shortcut

David, what an exciting challenge. I am a bit embarrassed that I cannot recall his name (I had it written down but cannot find it) but I would like to chat with the Mexican Foreign Minister (is that the same as the US Secretary of State?) who delivered the emphatic message that Mexico would not support the war against Iraq without UN backing.

(This post was edited by jennifer rose on Jul 28, 2003, 9:53 AM)

alans727

Jul 23, 2003, 3:02 AM

Post #14 of 26 (6198 views)

Shortcut

Post deleted by jennifer rose | Private Reply

Blackjack Davie

Jul 24, 2003, 5:47 PM

Post #15 of 26 (6142 views)

Shortcut

Uncle Jack

Jul 24, 2003, 6:19 PM

Post #16 of 26 (6143 views)

Shortcut

jennifer rose

Jul 25, 2003, 11:30 AM

Post #17 of 26 (6080 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
A panel comprised of Roy Dudley (who's lived more than half of his life in Xalapa), Steve Immel (who's lived in Mazatlan about five years), and John Rice (at least a decade in Mexico City) on cultural adjustment and integration issues facing expatriates.

(This post was edited by jennifer rose on Jul 25, 2003, 11:52 AM)

dumois

Jul 25, 2003, 12:51 PM

Post #18 of 26 (6069 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidMcL] Mi querido David...

... I'd love to chat with you. Dona and you. About your reasons. Why Mexico? What did you find down here? There's a lot of people out there in need of motivation to make this wonderful country jump ahead.

Pray tell me what you saw.

Un abrazo to you both,

Luis

DavidMcL

Jul 25, 2003, 1:18 PM

Post #19 of 26 (6064 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] So, if you could "Chat" with a particular expert, author, resource person . . .

And each separately on "Their city" . . .
David McL
WebJefe

RonMader

Jul 26, 2003, 8:28 AM

Post #20 of 26 (6012 views)

Shortcut

David and other members of MC -

I love the idea of chats/conversations with experts. That said, I would suggest you consider whether it's more effective to host a 2-hour real-time chat or a 1-week forum. There's no wrong answer. Experiment!

Whom would I like to see take part? I'd love to see experts discuss the ins-and-outs of border crossings, Mexican banking, immigration (both in and out of Mexico) the 10 year anniversary of NAFTA, challenges and opportunities in Mexico's ecotourism niche; why Mexico can't support a local daily English-language paper ...

You're on to a very good idea! I look forward to seeing how the chats develop. Good work!!

Ron
Ron Mader
Planeta.com
http://www.planeta.com

(This post was edited by jennifer rose on Jul 26, 2003, 10:58 AM)

jerezano

Jul 26, 2003, 6:55 PM

Post #21 of 26 (5987 views)

Shortcut

Hello,

Of all the newsletters published here in Mexico, I, personally have found that AIM: Adventures in Mexico, published in Guadalajara since way back in 1970 something is the best.

I would like to have us chat with the editor of that publication.

About How he decides which cities to survey.

How he enters into the city and starts his leg work

What is his reason for trying to limit himself to walking? Doesn't he miss a lot of the good restaurants, hotels, etc in the outskirts?

What does he recommend a new-be looking for a place to retire to, set as his priorities?

Numerous questions that all of us need answers to in looking over, under, around, and about a potential retirement area. Jerezano.

gpk

Jul 27, 2003, 11:33 AM

Post #22 of 26 (5956 views)

Shortcut

Enough talk--who do we get to chat with and WHEN!

DavidMcL

Jul 27, 2003, 2:02 PM

Post #23 of 26 (5939 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpk] So, if you could "Chat" with a particular expert, author, resource person . . .

Soon! As in Mañana!
Next - need to contact, arragenge, schedule, announce and so on.
Some have already agreed.
Some are playing 'hard to get"
Some I haven't reached yet.
David McL
WebJefe

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Jul 27, 2003, 10:09 PM

Post #24 of 26 (5930 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] So, if you could "Chat" with a particular expert, author, resource person . . .

¡Viva Jennifer! I'm glad you mentioned me as part of the team. I've just been "lurking" for the last couple of months due to work and 2 new grandkids, but I hope to be participating as much as possible in the future.

BTW, Tony Cohen of "On Mexico Time" is now living in Xalapa and would probably be happy to participate.
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

jennifer rose

Jul 29, 2003, 12:05 PM

Post #25 of 26 (5862 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
If we're talking site-specific, I'd add Alex "Used to be in TJ" Vinson, Jim "In Cancun" Wehrle, Gary "Was in Leon now in Irapuato" Kinser, and Luis Dumois to the panel.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4