Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Bob Crowell

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #1 of 3 (5169 views)

Shortcut

FM3 Status Questions

Can't Post |
Hi,
Just a few questions regarding the FM3 status in Mexico:<p>I have heard that once you apply for the FM3 status, you only have a 6 month window to move your furnishings into Mexico from the US and that the overall value must be below $5000. <p>Are there any age requirements the auto you intend to bring into Mexico under the FM3 status. I had heard that a car must be 5 years old or older.
Thank you,

Abq

Post #2 of 3 (5160 views)

Shortcut

Depends

Can't Post |
On where you get your FM3. My city has entirely different rules. You need to check with your consulate.<p>
------------------<p>
: Just a few questions regarding the FM3 status in Mexico:<p>: I have heard that once you apply for the FM3 status, you only have a 6 month window to move your furnishings into Mexico from the US and that the overall value must be below $5000. <p>: Are there any age requirements the auto you intend to bring into Mexico under the FM3 status. I had heard that a car must be 5 years old or older.
: Thank you,<p>

Rolly

Post #3 of 3 (5162 views)

Shortcut

FM3 Status Questions

Can't Post |
None of those things are true.<p>After you get your FM3, you have 6 months in which to apply for a “menaje de casa” which is the list of items you wish to bring and which must be approved by your area Mexican consulate. After the menaje is approved, you have 3 months to complete the move. Because any number of things can go wrong, you’d be wise not to press these time limits. There is no dollar limit, but you are restricted to used household items – nothing commercial or for re-sale You can bring hobby items, but you'd probably have a hard time getting in with a complete machine shop. For a good example of what is allowed, click below to see my menaje that was approved by the Los Angeles consulate two years ago.<p>There is no age or dollar limit on your car. But there is a quantity limit -- only one per FM3.<p>

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4