Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico

ACXCHANGE

Jun 29, 2003, 11:06 AM

Post #1 of 10 (15733 views)

Shortcut

Prospect For Air Conditioning Repair Business in Yucatan?

Can't Post | Private Reply
   I am a semi-retired owner of an Air Conditioning business and would consider opening an establishment somewhere in the Yucatan to train (was also a vocational instructor) interested local workers to properly repair Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Equipment (with my oversight).

Would there be a need for such a business and how much trouble would required permits be?

Chuck Cook

A C X-CHANGE

Jim in Cancun / Moderator

Jun 30, 2003, 1:58 AM

Post #2 of 10 (15709 views)

Shortcut

Prospect For Air Conditioning Repair Business in Yucatan?

Start by reading:

http://www.mexconnected.com/...ck/jbworkpermit.html

http://www.mexconnected.com/...ivinginmexindex.html (lots--look for what is pertinent--including articles on adapting)

http://www.mexconnect.com/...00incorporation.html

just for starters.

Then come back here for any specific questions you may have.

Some of your first steps would be to come down here (it´s a big place--"the Yucatan"--)and find a place you like and do everything you would normally do before starting a business like business plans, market studies and investigation on existing competition. You will need, lots of money, patience, Spanish and endurance and your chances of making it work AS YOU MAY NOW ENVISION IT are pretty slim. This is not like moving around the corner or to another State. This is a whole new world and everything and everyone in it will be new.

Read the links above and come back with any specific questions you may have. Remember:

"A dream only costs one thing--EVERYTHING!"

ACXCHANGE

Jul 4, 2003, 4:47 PM

Post #3 of 10 (15686 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jim in Cancun] Prospect For Air Conditioning Repair Business in Yucatan?

Thanks for reply,

Sounds like a lot of red tape, lot more complex than home. maybe I'll work harder here and just relax or do volunteer work when I come down.

Its a shame that things are as complex as they are. I'm sure the skills I possess could be a benefit to be learned by under employed local workers. I would think that in an area as hot and humid as the Yucatan there would be a demand for Air Conditioning and Refrigeration workers.

I'll probably buy property in the Progresso area since prices look more affordable there than caribbean area.

Thanks again for info,

Chuck Cook

A C X-CHANGE

Jim in Cancun / Moderator

Jul 6, 2003, 3:26 AM

Post #4 of 10 (15673 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ACXCHANGE] Prospect For Air Conditioning Repair Business in Yucatan?

Sounds like a lot of red tape, lot more complex than home.

It is very different and lots of things are not like "home." But then I once was involved in investigating building a hotel in the Disney area of Florida and the red tape there can compare to Mexico. What complicates it more here is that you are a "foreigner" and don't speak the language and don't know the customs and ways of doing things--really complicates things even more.

maybe I'll work harder here and just relax or do volunteer work when I come down.

Not a bad idea. "Volunteerism" is not common down here. Find a good cause and help out--you will get lots from it.

Its a shame that things are as complex as they are. I'm sure the skills I possess could be a benefit to be learned by under employed local workers. I would think that in an area as hot and humid as the Yucatan there would be a demand for Air Conditioning and Refrigeration workers.

Don't get me wrong, there are lots of refrigeration and AC workers--"fan 'n coil" workers are in big demand in Cancun and other hotel areas as well. These workers make about $300-$400 usd per month doing that kind of work.

I'll probably buy property in the Progresso area since prices look more affordable there than caribbean area.

It is still more reasonable. Let's see how long it takes the speculators as I think the Progreso area will probably have its boom one of these days too.

Thanks again for info,
You're welcome and good luck.

YucaLandia

Jul 28, 2015, 7:02 AM

Post #5 of 10 (12181 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ACXCHANGE] Prospect For Air Conditioning Repair Business in Yucatan?

For better or worse, Yucatan is NOT generally a backwards "3'rd World" place as imagined by many Americans.

Merida - a metropolitan area with about 1 million people - has tons of well trained air conditioning workers.

We've had airconditioning here since the 1960's, and the older A/C service shops date to then.

Frankly, we've gotten much better A/C service here in Merida than we got in Colorado or Washington DC,
with the Yucatecan workers turning the jobs around much faster, and far cheaper than in the USA - ranging from magnetic clutch replacement, dryer, condenser and hose replacements, and compressor replacements etc.

We have local technological universities teaching the latest techniques, using the latest equipment ...

These things go for Merida, Cancun, Playa del Carmen Campeche Ciudad and Chetumal, big cities,

which means ACXCHANGE's fine offer could be very welcome out in the countryside's little towns. His services could be very welcome in Valladolid ... or Oxkutzcab ... Ticul ... and a host of other small charming Yucatecan cities and towns ...

Come on down!

Also, check out Yucalandia.com for details on moving here and how things work here.

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

Aaron+

Jul 30, 2015, 7:40 PM

Post #6 of 10 (12125 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Prospect For Air Conditioning Repair Business in Yucatan?

"His services could be very welcome in Valladolid ... or Oxkutzcab ... Ticul ... and a host of other small charming Yucatecan cities and towns ..."

Err... yes, just realize that in the hinterlands, there are far fewer people who can afford A/C and A/C repair. Would be surprised if the few larger users, some hotels and the few chain stores, etc., can bring in service from Mérida... Most establishments, including most restaurants and just about all pharmacies, are open to the high heat and humidity of Yucatán.

chinagringo

Jul 30, 2015, 7:52 PM

Post #7 of 10 (12124 views)

Shortcut

Keep it up with a 12 year old thread! Can't imagine that anything has changed in that time period?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

cbviajero

Jul 30, 2015, 8:21 PM

Post #8 of 10 (12116 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Prospect For Air Conditioning Repair Business in Yucatan?

In Reply To
Keep it up with a 12 year old thread! Can't imagine that anything has changed in that time period?

LOL.

YucaLandia

Aug 5, 2015, 7:40 AM

Post #9 of 10 (12073 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Prospect For Air Conditioning Repair Business in Yucatan?

blame it on the site's software?

This post turned up automatically at the top of the category, highlighted in yellow, and I didn't notice the date.

In 8 years of answering Mexconnect questions, this is the first time it's happened,
but the repeating part is that same stalkers to use a one-time error as another opportunity to snipe.

It's no wonder that new people write PMs saying how unfriendly, unprofessional, and unwelcome Mexconnect has become due to the same few stalker's regular, uncontrolled personal sniping and carping.
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Aug 5, 2015, 7:56 AM)

YucaLandia

Aug 5, 2015, 8:24 AM

Post #10 of 10 (12064 views)

Shortcut

Site administrators might note that this issue has popped up regularly, with other people's Mexconnect "Forums Index" pages also mistakenly highlighting old posts as being current.

It's no big deal, except when stalkers use it to justify their ridiculing and bullying others.
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Aug 5, 2015, 8:27 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4