Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

beerme

Jun 24, 2003, 7:06 PM

Post #1 of 13 (1833 views)

Shortcut

Mailing to Mexico

Can't Post |
Is it difficult to have things mailed to yourself in Mexico as an alternative to lugging them across the border? Is it reliable? Are there many restrictions or extra fees?

johanson

Jun 24, 2003, 7:23 PM

Post #2 of 13 (1821 views)

Shortcut

Re: [beerme] Mailing to Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
Well if I remember right, you are from Houston Texas and are coming down for 6 months.

I opened a Mail Boxes Etc account and have my mail sent to their Laredo Tx address and then my mail is forwarded down to me in another 7 or so days to the MBE office just West of Chapala in San Antonio (a small village between Chapala and Ajijic). Getting mail this way is much slower than what you're used to in Texas. Usually it ads about 7 to 10 days to the process.

If you need overnight delivery you can UPS or Fed Ex a document for more than $20.

Good luck

Rolly

Jun 24, 2003, 7:33 PM

Post #3 of 13 (1821 views)

Shortcut

All packages mailed to Mexico will be inspected by Customs and an import duty may be charged on items that would have been free if your had hand carried them. Some items you cannot mail that you can carry into the country -- used clothing, for example.

The other, and more important, question is whether your package will ever arrive or if it does, how long will it take. There have been several posts on MexConnect about experiences with the Mexican Postal Service -- some good and some bad. I have had 100% good luck with books I have order from the USA. I have 100% bad luck with everything else sent to me from the USA. I think sending anything to Mexico by mail is a crap shoot.

Bottom line answer to your questions: It is not reliable; there are restrictions; and there may be extra fees.

Rolly Pirate

Uncle Donnie

Jun 28, 2003, 7:57 PM

Post #4 of 13 (1772 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Mailing to Mexico

Can't Post |
You're correct, Rolly. I just received two packages from the VA Medical Center in Dallas, delivered to my PO box in Chapala. One was a box containing medicine, the other was a rattling envelope containing medicine. This is not supposed to happen!

And, neither was opened, nor were there any charges levied.

It really IS a crapshoot!

Shameless self-promotion:
http://www.headformexico.com

jennifer rose

Jun 28, 2003, 8:17 PM

Post #5 of 13 (1769 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Donnie] Mailing to Mexico

Can't Post |
Today gave me yet another opportunity to tout the Mexican Postal Service. A letter postmarked Modesto, California, 19 June 2003, arrived this morning, with only this for an address:

JENNIFER ROSE
MORELIA, MICH
MEXICO

Now, tell me whether you could expect delivery of mail sent to some American city of over a million with that address? And I'm not in the phone book, either.

Uncle Donnie

Jun 28, 2003, 8:40 PM

Post #6 of 13 (1764 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Mailing to Mexico

Can't Post |
But jj, EVERYBODY knows you!

And I may be one of the few who uses the Mexican mail system for all of my incomings. Can't address speed though. Last month I made my semi-annual check and found stuff that had been mailed from the consulate in Guad, and folks in the U.S. back in November. Obviously Fast service is not one of my major concerns.

Shameless self-promotion:
http://www.headformexico.com

Jean

Jun 29, 2003, 4:49 AM

Post #7 of 13 (1752 views)

Shortcut

I also use only the Mexican postal system for incoming mail. I use the Ajijic PO. Never had any problems and only once was charged a small duty on a book. Yes I know books are free of duty, but it was only 50 pesos and I have had other things come through with no duty that should have been charged.

I often get large packages and I have friends write on the outside in Spanish

"Left at Hotel". Never have a problem and the things have never been opened.

Beats MBE hands down.
Retirement Communities
http://www.retirecommunities.com

tonyburton / Moderator

Jun 29, 2003, 6:56 AM

Post #8 of 13 (1745 views)

Shortcut

Re: Mailing to Mexico - Incoming Fees

The last time I checked these fees out, it turned out the fee paid by recipients at the post office for packages containing non-dutiable items like books is a "postal customs inspection fee" (not a "duty"), levied on any package that gets opened/inspected, regardless of whether or not the item is subject to duty. If the item is dutiable, then the procedure for obtaining it is usually more complicated and can end up costing a lot more. Any envelope/package that does not get "selected" for inspection (dutiable or not) will, of course, be delivered with no charges.

Don

Jun 29, 2003, 7:10 AM

Post #9 of 13 (1737 views)

Shortcut

I too, use the Mexican Postal Service for incoming mail. I have had no problems with them. Sometimes, depending on the time of the year, the mail can take longer to arrive. If our mailman has mail for us and sees us in another part of town, he will flag us down and give it to us. We receive excellent service with the Mexican Postal Service, within our town. For outgoing mail, we use Mexico Express.

esperanza

Jun 29, 2003, 7:54 AM

Post #10 of 13 (1728 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don] Mailing to Mexico

I am another only-Mexican Postal Service person. Like most of you, I've had packages of books shipped in without problem and without paying duty. In fact, just so anybody who doesn't know already will know now, you can have books shipped from www.powells.com and, if you order $50.00USD or more, THEY PAY THE SHIPPING. A nifty little bonus, no?

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

ET

Jun 29, 2003, 12:09 PM

Post #11 of 13 (1704 views)

Shortcut

Re: Mailing to Mexico

I read the original poster's message to imply that they wanted to mail personal possessions to Mexico. However, since several of the respondents have replied with methods for sending letters and documents....

For shipping letters and documents, for roughly half the cost and with a far greater service area in Mexico than FedEx or UPS is one of the Mexican international mailing services such as Mexico (Meijico) Express. Targeted for use by immigrants and others sending money orders remittances to families and friends in Mexico, these services operate using storefront agents, typically check cashing services, small markets, and ethnic businesses, located in portions of (US) towns with a large Mexican population. To locate an agent in the area for the first time you have to call the company's toll free number. You have to drop off the sealed letter or document at the agent's store and pay for shipment in cash. Delivery, to the recipient's doorstep in Mexico takes 3-5 days.

For forwarding of bills, in the past a couple of Mexconnect users have given positive feedback to Paytrust. For a fee Paytrust provides you with a PMB which you use as your bill delivery address. Rather than forwarding the physical bills Paytrust emails you notification when bills arrive; you can then log onto their secure website and review scanned images of the bill and/or authorize disbursement of payment. The benefit to the Paytrust service is that you don't need a fixed forwarding address to receive the bills, they're available for review and approval from anyplace you can get worldwide web access. Personally, since most of my monthly bills are already reviewable on the web with payment handled by electronic debits to my bank accounts I don't see a lot of benefit to the service, but if you're dealing with bills which vary from month to month, from vendors who aren't sophisticated enough to provide electronic billing and payment it's an option.

beerme

Jun 30, 2003, 2:56 PM

Post #12 of 13 (1650 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ET] Mailing to Mexico

Can't Post |
What's the logic behind not being able to send yourself clothes?

This would be the most useful to me because I could travel much lighter if I could have them mailed when I reach somewhere I intend to stay for a while.

esperanza

Jun 30, 2003, 9:18 PM

Post #13 of 13 (1628 views)

Shortcut

Logic? There has to be logic?

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4