Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

alex .

Jun 24, 2003, 8:21 AM

Post #1 of 5 (4620 views)

Shortcut

Renovating the Infonavit apartment. Oh boy.

Can't Post | Private Reply
The time has come, now that all the deadbeat relatives have gone, to renovate the apartment. Everything is pretty much destroyed already, so there is lots of cleanup and prep to do first. Its a third story unit of a 5 story building, all block and concrete. I need to do one bedroom first ,to completion, to convince my wife that I have some skills, then I can do the rest of the place.
Step one was to remove anything wooden : closets, cabinets,whatever. In the dumpster it went. Wood = roach hotel in this place. Yuk.
Since its all concrete, with mold on the walls under the paint, my plan is to treat it as a basement restoration. Your thoughts?
Alex

(This post was edited by alex . on Jun 24, 2003, 8:25 AM)

Rolly

Jun 24, 2003, 10:59 AM

Post #2 of 5 (4607 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] Renovating the Infonavit apartment. Oh boy.

Hi Alex,

Please keep us informed about your adventure. Picturres would be nice, too.

Check into Kilz -- a primer that covers mold well. Look here: http://www.masterchem.com/...efault.aspx?NavID=61

Good luck.

Rolly Pirate

Esteban

Jun 26, 2003, 5:30 PM

Post #3 of 5 (4589 views)

Shortcut

I'd start by spending money on electrical, water, waste and gas installation. Those are the things that will cause the most problems no matter how nice the place looks. Then, if you have any money left, start the fun part with tile, paint, fixtures and furniture. Buena Suerte!

alex .

Jun 27, 2003, 8:21 AM

Post #4 of 5 (4578 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] Renovating the Infonavit apartment. Oh boy.

Good tips guys, though there isn't much I can do about the infrastructure. I've upgraded the electrical panel, but its still just two 15 amp breakers: one circuit for all the lights, one for all the outlets. And there ain't no more to be had, 30 amps is all I get. I suppose I could split off the lighting circuit as I'd never use 15A of lighting: there are only 7 lightbulbs in the whole place, and its unlikely that they would all be illuminated at once. The drain is what it is: drops 3 floors thru a common system. I can/will upgrade all of the llaves on the inside. Heating/air conditioning,well, there isn't any. City water pressure I can't fix, its adequate though.
So its all cosmetic work, and a bunch of it.
Alex

Rolly

Jun 27, 2003, 12:32 PM

Post #5 of 5 (4568 views)

Shortcut

If you need more power for the receptacle circuit, you can get a 20A breaker to replace the 15. You can also get a 30A that will fit, but that might strain (heat) the line and give you a bit of a voltage drop; but I, personally, wouldn’t be afraid to try it if I needed the power – as you say there isn’t much load from the lights.

Rolly Pirate

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4