Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

raijanalle

Jun 21, 2003, 9:16 PM

Post #1 of 15 (2119 views)

Shortcut

B&B in Jacotepeg

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hola,

We are coming for the month of August-03 there and I am looking for a nice place to stay. Would anybody know if there are more than one B&B in Jocotepeg?other than Los Dos? and if so would you kindly reply and let me know. We would like to have one with kitchen facilities,as we like to prepare our own meals,what ever,and when ever we like.

Thank you,Raya

Jean

Jun 22, 2003, 4:45 AM

Post #2 of 15 (2096 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raijanalle] B&B in Jacotepeg

Los Dos does have kitchen facilities in the Casita. We stayed there when we first came to Lakeside. It is completely seperate from the house and we did all our own meals except breakfast, which we shared with the owners. The casita also has an exceptional view from the upper floor, of the lake and there is a wonderful swimming pool there. We had complete privacy while in the Casita.

I know of no other B&B in Joco.
Retirement Communities
http://www.retirecommunities.com

raijanalle

Jun 22, 2003, 5:55 AM

Post #3 of 15 (2090 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Tuatha_de_Danann] B&B in Jacotepeg

Hi,Thak you for your reply. Tell me how long didi you stay there and did you like it? How about the Village itself? Peggy wrote me that its dirty Village.Is that true or did you get that impression? Did you use the bas service to Ajijic and Chapala area. I was told that the bus goes every half hour to Ajijic and that the Village is very Mexican. Please tell me the truth,what you think? I was also told by the owners of Los Dos that all they Bugalows have a kitchen. That is very important for us,as we will do our own meals. Please reply asap.,as I have to deside where we will stay pretty soon. Thank you Raya

Jean

Jun 22, 2003, 6:28 AM

Post #4 of 15 (2086 views)

Shortcut

I find the town of Jocotepec to be like stepping back 100 years in time. Certain areas might appear dirty, but you have to remember this is Mexico. In Ajijic for example outside the walls on the street you might imagine that there is nothing but a poor house behind that wall, but in reality some of the most beautiful homes are behind the walls.

We stayed one week, but we have been out to see Phyllis and Georg many times since. They place is wonderful and until you are outside their property you would not even know you were in Mexico.

We didn't use the bus as we had a car, but the busses are more frequent that that. The first class busses may be every hour.

The kitchen we had, had everything needed to live there permanently if we had so chosen.

Joco is about 2 miles from the B&B and what you need to remember is it is a very small old town. It's not some booming metropolis.

It might be easier if you told me what it is you want out of your visit to Mexico and then I would have a better feel of what to tell you.
Retirement Communities
http://www.retirecommunities.com

raijanalle

Jun 22, 2003, 7:24 AM

Post #5 of 15 (2080 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Tuatha_de_Danann] B&B in Jacotepeg

We don't like to stay in busy metropolitan like place. I know what Mexico is,however we have never been in this area before. We like typical Mexican Villages and quiet nice place to stay and relax. We have travelled in Mexico in good and bad half broken down buses! We have stayed in good and not so good places! We like ordinary Mexican people,we find then happy and kind.They love to talk and so do we. I know a little Spanish and love to practice with Mexicans. They don't mind at all if we don't speak well,they love to explain and we don't have to feel emmarrased or shy to talk. All we need to know that we have a bus service to the Village of Ajijic and Chapala. We will take other tours there to see places. How long does it take to walk to the center plaza from Los Dos? I see that in Jacotepec has a Market for fruits and vegies that is open daily,they have the variety store and cafe and restaurants. Thats all my husband needs! hah,ha..! We are not drinkers(alcohol),so if we get a beer once in awhile thats good enough. We don't care about meet. We like to eat local or try Mexican foods if we go out for dinner.

Where is San Antonio Tlayacapan? Is that another Village close to Ajijic? What place would you recomend for us to stay? Everybody talks good about Swan Inn if in Ajijic.

raijanalle

Jun 22, 2003, 7:34 AM

Post #6 of 15 (2076 views)

Shortcut

Ooh,I forgot to ask, is it easy to rent an bicycle there?We bike a lot here,or should we bring our own? I woudn't want to bring our ownn,because of hastle.Let me know.Thanks.

Uncle Donnie

Jun 22, 2003, 8:51 PM

Post #7 of 15 (2035 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Hi Raya,

Los Pescaderos is a very Mexican place which offers bungalows. It's on the main highway into Jocotepec. If you're interested in less "gringoized" digs it's clean and safe. Not much English spoken there, nor Joco in general. If you're interested I'll stop by and get their e-dress for you.

The market you're probably referring to is about a mile from Pescadores (and Los Dos) but there are a number of places closer to it where you can buy fresh produce, chickens, and other staples.

Be sure to stop at one of the many little eating places on the plaza for a bowl of birrea. I know you want to cook for yourself, but this will be worth it. They're famous for it there.

As for bicycles, I haven't a clue although there are several shops in every town and I'd bet you could work some sort of deal for a short-term rental. Joco is a lovely town, and even though I love Peggy I'm going to disagree about the cleanliness. There's not a lot of trash on the streets, the little plaza is very clean, and the worst areas (which I don't find offensive) are the roads leading out the far side of town from where you'll be staying.

The roads in town are mostly paved, there's an ATM, one or two semi-nice restaurants, several Mom & Pop setups that are frequented by the locals, some commercial growing operations at the far edge of the town, a wood carver, a serape weaver, a few leather workers (mostly shoes, boots, and huraches) and the lovely mercado you mentioned which has a great selection of vegetables, chickens, and fish (mostly carp, catfish, and the non-fish---frogs), as well as a nice weekly tianguis.

This is a very active town with a surprising number of and variety of stores and services.

The church is lovely, and they tolerate visitors quite well.

On the side of town where the places to stay are is also the municipal waste water treatment plant which can get a bit fragrant at times.

You'll enjoy the town regardless of where you stay.

Shameless self-promotion:
http://www.headformexico.com

Uncle Donnie

Jun 28, 2003, 6:17 PM

Post #8 of 15 (1980 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Donnie] B&B in Jacotepeg

Can't Post |
Hi again Raya,

I decided to post this publicly since some others might be interested.

I drove over to check out the things you asked about and here are some answers.

Posada del Pescador
Miguel Arana 611
Jocotepec, Jalisco
(on the highway into town from Chapala, just up from the PEMEX)

Reservations (387) 763-2245
Fax (387) 763-0028
e-mail pdelpescador@hotmail.com (I'd suggest Spanish on this one)
Mario Gonzales, Gerente General

Room rate: $3500 pesos (they figure the exchange rate at 10 to 1 so figure US $350.00) per week for two people.

Jacuzzi suites are available for a bit more. An adequate supply of hot water will not be a problem

The room(s) I checked had a living/dining area with a built-in sofa, two wood chairs with leather seats and backs, and matching footstools; a side table and lamp; a square dining table with four wooden chairs, and a pueblo-style corner fireplace. The bedroom had a king-size bed, a dresser on which sat a color TV hooked up for satellite service, two nightstands with lamps, and a large closet, and a full glass wall overlooking the garden. There were nice drapes in case you don't care to be the view for other clients.

In the hallway was a bathroom with sink and shower.

The kitchen (a separate room) had a refrigerator, a four-burner stove, sink and counter, and an individual water heater for the unit (no sharing hot water with the other guests). Dishes, utensils, and cookware are kept in storage until you check in. There's lots of room and good privacy in case you need an occasional break from each other.

There is a swimming pool with a nice rock waterfall at one end, many outdoor seating areas, both in the shade of the trees or the arched terraces, or in the sun, and outdoor furniture (plastic). The grounds are beautifully landscaped and very well maintained. Several nice large shade trees also. There are fountains around the area, and there a nice sized community room with a fireplace if you decide to throw a party for your new friends.

Check-in time is 3, out by 12.

There's a coin-operated pay phone in the lobby. You see those from time to time. No phone in the room.

Town (the plaza) is 6/10ths of a mile away; An ATM is a bit over 5/10ths;
and a number of tiendas, street eateries, and even a tuxedo rental place begin to show up about 3/10ths of a mile from the gate. Internet service is available close to the plaza, as well as right above the plaza.

I recommend Gil's Pizza on the plaza and Tom's Texas BBQ at the stoplight on the way out of town. Turn left at the plaza (there's only one left turn and you HAVE to take it), drive (or walk) until you get to the stoplight in front of the Comision Federal de Electricidad (it's maybe 4/10ths of a mile from the plaza, on your right, can't miss it) where you'll turn right and head on to the intersection with the Guad highway. It may be a couple of miles but I stopped in for a take-out of brisket and sausage and was in homeboy heaven in the dining room that evening.

Bicycles: there's a shop close to the Posada (3/10ths of a mile, look left) but he doesn't rent. You can buy one for 850 pesos. Tom suggested that you ask one of the locals who post on this forum if they'd loan you one or two for the time you're down here. You could ride the bus to where they live and then take the protected ciclopista on back to Joco without fear of getting run over.

Anybody want to loan these folks a pair of bicycles in August? Post it here or privatize that response.

Y'all have a good visit, regardless of where you decide to stay. It's all good!

UD

Shameless self-promotion:
http://www.headformexico.com

raijanalle

Jul 3, 2003, 7:43 PM

Post #9 of 15 (1940 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Donnie] B&B in Jacotepeg

Thank you uncle Donnie for your long and complete answers to my questions. I appreciate it.That's the way I like it! I got the distances and everything,lovely. I didn't check yet if anybody answered about loaning us bicycles for the month of August,but I will find out about that too. I wonder if the cyclepista is paved? maybe I could bring my rollerblades? We can walk too,no problem. I know,we will enjoy our stay,no matter what. We are almost 100% sure that we will stay at Los Dos.It also looks real nice in pictures,has a pool and everything that we need,garden ect. I know we will be happy,at least Mike,as long as he has his coffee(which he will bring his own).

I might as well ask here if there is anybody who knows about bicycle rentals?or has two that we could use. Would be nice.

esperanza

Jul 3, 2003, 8:53 PM

Post #10 of 15 (1931 views)

Shortcut

The ciclopista is paved~rollerblading on it sounds like fun. You might have to dodge a bicycle, or a horse, or a burro...but nothing a roller-blader can't handle.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

raijanalle

Jul 4, 2003, 3:35 AM

Post #11 of 15 (1924 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] B&B in Jacotepeg

Thanks.Could you tell me how long is the ciclopista? Doest it go all the way Jacotepec?and from where? Yes,I don't think we want Burros as they are too stubborn and only move when they feel like it! You don't know anything about bike rentals? Well,if you here anything let me know. Thanks.

esperanza

Jul 4, 2003, 5:44 AM

Post #12 of 15 (1921 views)

Shortcut

The ciclopista starts just west of Chapala and continues almost all the way to Jocotepec.

I'm sorry, I don't know of any bicycle rentals anywhere at Lakeside. A person I know here inquired around a few towns several months ago and found none.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

zapata Bob

Jul 4, 2003, 3:15 PM

Post #13 of 15 (1890 views)

Shortcut

Regarding Joco, I rented a house just outside of town for about 2.5 months last winter. Had always stayed in or near Ajijic before. I got to know and enjoy the community and the people a great deal! On my next trip I'll definitely stay out there! I'll second Donnies suggestion re Gils and Toms, everyone knows about Toms food and Tom himself is quite a character. At Gils for about $2 you can get an individual pizza that'll blow your mind. Lots of ice cream and good bakery products too. Local produce market is quite good and the market day (Thursday) is really interesting! There is a pharmacy right across from the mercado owned by a man who first name is Chewe (Jesus) he speaks some English and is a really good fellow.

Two other places you need to stop. About a half mile back toward Ajijic from Los Dos on the mountain side of the road is a restaurant/convience store called Lucys. Lucyand John Worthington and family plus everyone there are good folks to know, they'll help you with about anything. Going on east there are two pretty small communities El Chante and San Juan Cosala. On the east edge of the SJC are the thereputic pools. Suana, massage and big swimming too. In that same sreies of buildings is Ruebens restaurant. Rueben is worth the stop all by himself, but the food is good, prices reasonable and the folks areound there are also really nice, I'm sure you would like it.

Enjoy your stay!

raijanalle

Jul 4, 2003, 5:41 PM

Post #14 of 15 (1876 views)

Shortcut

Re: [zapata Bob] B&B in Jacotepeg

Nice to hear from people who have stayed in the area where we will stay,and also advise and directions to the places. I really appreciate this. I do want to go to San Juan Cosala.We want to try pools,massage and Sauna of course. Sauna is my special place to relax(we have one in our house).I am from Finland and all the Finns can't live without the Sauna. And of course we want to try everything that is diffrent than here in Canada.I know a little bit of Spanish and that is one of my reasons to be in Mexican village so that I can practise my Spanish. During few months that I have been connected to Mexconnect,I have learned so much and got so much info. Thank you. I wish I could be able to meet all of you nice people out there. I am sure that we will enjoy our stay. One thing I can't figure out, is that nobody seems to know anything about bicycle rentals. I thought that in small Villages and country side people would use bicycles. What about Scooters? do they rent those there? Would be nice to have other means of transportation than our own feet and buses.

zapata Bob

Jul 4, 2003, 7:40 PM

Post #15 of 15 (1862 views)

Shortcut

I'm sure you'll be able to find both either to rent or borrow, I just don't know where. I either walked or drove, but I had my Jeep with me. There is a couple, Rob and Pat who recently bought a large brick walled house on the carretera who are really great people. their house is on a corner, on the lake side of the road, just after you go over the topes going into Joco. Tell them hello for me if you meet them, they're first class folks! Also tell Ruben you heard from me. Enjoy your trip! Bob H.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4