Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Uncle Jack

Jun 19, 2003, 3:29 PM

Post #1 of 5 (2340 views)

Shortcut

A tale of toilet paper

Can't Post | Private Reply
A couple of months ago, when Patty and I first started packing, I had, what I believed to be, a brilliant idea. Instead of buying a lot of tissue paper or plastic bubble wrap, that had no use after the move, we should buy a lot of rolls of toilet paper and paper towels that would be of some value to us in Ajijic. I proceeded to Costco in Prescott and bought as many large packages of paper products as I could stuff into the Chrysler T & C.

Man, they worked like a charm. The computer, monitor, small TV, microwave and a lot of our favorite china and ceramic items were placed in large boxes and surrounded by rolls of toilet paper. After taping and banding, you could have dropped those suckers from the space shuttle and they would have bounced. My genius was confirmed when everything arrived intact and not a single loss to breakage.

Two days after our arrival at our rental in Ajijic, Anna Maria showed up. She was the housekeeper that we inherited with the house and was there to do her usual Saturday choirs. Anna Maria, bless her heart, said nothing after cleaning the first bathroom. She did start to giggle when she went into the second bathroom. When she opened the hall closet, She lost it. She laughed and smiled and almost cried. I'm sure that Anna Maria had never before seen all most 200 rolls of toilet paper in one house. (Come to think about it, neither had I)

I only wish that I could have heard the story that Anna Maria must have told her family and her neighbors that night about the two 'Gringos Locos" who came to Mexico with a 2 years supply of toilet paper.

uj

(This post was edited by Uncle Jack on Jun 19, 2003, 4:07 PM)

alans727

Jun 19, 2003, 3:54 PM

Post #2 of 5 (2327 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Jack] A tale of toilet paper

I love your posts. You have a great sense of humor. Guess you won't have to invest in toilet paper for a while.
Alan Sheffield
Miami, Florida

jennifer rose

Jun 19, 2003, 7:13 PM

Post #3 of 5 (2299 views)

Shortcut

Packing Materials

Can't Post |
People are going to think that your household a) really believed that we use newsprint for toilet paper in Mexico, b) was still stocked up from the much-rumored toilet paper shortgage triggered by Johnny Carson's remark back in the 70s, or c) has some serious physical problems! You must've really given the customs folks a good laugh.

Seriously, that was a clever packing idea.

When I made the move, many moons ago, I found that the Rubbermaid coffin-sized plastic footlockers cost about the same as heavy cardboard boxes. While I did buy some bubblewrap, I mostly used old clothing and towels for packing materials. And since I've kept old clothes dating back to when I was a size 3, there was no shortage. The upside is that I now have a lifetime supply of old clothes to keep my maid, her family and all of her friends clad for the next lifetime -- or more.

Georgia

Jun 20, 2003, 7:56 AM

Post #4 of 5 (2269 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Jack] Toilet paper, bubble wrap and your T&C

Hey, Uncle Jack,

Your post brings up one comment and one question:

Comment: we save the bubble wrap for numerous house guests and family members who purchase breakables and have to pack them well for the trip home. Talk about your full service hostess!

Question: Have you found a place to have your T&C serviced in Ajijic? I think my Caravan needs some transmission work.

Uncle Jack

Jun 20, 2003, 8:27 AM

Post #5 of 5 (2262 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Toilet paper, bubble wrap and your T&C

Georgia;

I'm not the one to ask. We had everything done including a new set of tires before we left the states. I know that there is a dealership in Guadalajara and, from the number of Chrysler, Dodge, and Plymouth mini-vans driving up and down the Carretera, I have to assume that the locals know how to fix them.

Chris and Harry Bublin own a Chrysler PT and they have been here a bit longer than I. Maybe they know.

uj

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4