Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

aimeric

Oct 9, 2002, 5:30 AM

Post #1 of 6 (1514 views)

Shortcut

bringing our car in Mexico

Can't Post |
we have been through lots of info posted on this forum and<p>we understood : " no problem bringing our car, we can keep it as long as our FM3 is valid "<p>Mexican Consulate in Mtl yesterday : " no car allowed more than 6 months, then you have to take it out ... "<p>which one is it ?<p>we are canadians, retirees, my wife and I, and would like to spend years at a time here, becoming non-residents of Canada ... any advise would be welcome ...

Robert

Oct 9, 2002, 6:29 AM

Post #2 of 6 (1507 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
6 months is the FMT, tourist visa. The FM3 will allow it for one year. Not to open the can of worms again, but you do not need to at least inform the Banjercito when you renew your FM3 each year, so that they can extend your vehicle importation permit. I just had another friend run into the same problem, because he erroneously believed that as long as you have your FM3 you never need to worry about the vehicle importation permit. Wrong, check in every year with the Banjercito.<p><p>
: we have been through lots of info posted on this forum and<p>: we understood : " no problem bringing our car, we can keep it as long as our FM3 is valid "<p>: Mexican Consulate in Mtl yesterday : " no car allowed more than 6 months, then you have to take it out ... "<p>: which one is it ?<p>: we are canadians, retirees, my wife and I, and would like to spend years at a time here, becoming non-residents of Canada ... any advise would be welcome ...<p>

aimeric

Oct 9, 2002, 7:10 AM

Post #3 of 6 (1507 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
the Banjercito ... :) ... it would have been so easy for them to give us the address instead of talking through their hat ... <p>thanks a lot for an ultrafast answer, Bob! ... "but you do not need ...", I gather you rather mean "but you do need ..." ... case of fingers faster that mind ? ...

Doug

Oct 10, 2002, 6:39 AM

Post #4 of 6 (1506 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
What is the easiest way to notify Banjerico about renewed FM3??? I sure hope I don't have to drive to the border every year.: 6 months is the FMT, tourist visa. The FM3 will allow it for one year. Not to open the can of worms again, but you do not need to at least inform the Banjercito when you renew your FM3 each year, so that they can extend your vehicle importation permit. I just had another friend run into the same problem, because he erroneously believed that as long as you have your FM3 you never need to worry about the vehicle importation permit. Wrong, check in every year with the Banjercito.<p>
:
: : we have been through lots of info posted on this forum and<p>: : we understood : " no problem bringing our car, we can keep it as long as our FM3 is valid "<p>: : Mexican Consulate in Mtl yesterday : " no car allowed more than 6 months, then you have to take it out ... "<p>: : which one is it ?<p>: : we are canadians, retirees, my wife and I, and would like to spend years at a time here, becoming non-residents of Canada ... any advise would be welcome ...<p>

franzenz

Jun 23, 2003, 7:49 PM

Post #5 of 6 (1483 views)

Shortcut

Re: [aimeric] bringing our car in Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
What did you decide to do?

esperanza

Jun 23, 2003, 9:15 PM

Post #6 of 6 (1474 views)

Shortcut

Re: [franzenz] bringing our car in Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
The correct information is: as long as your FM3 visa is up-to-date, your car permit is good.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4