Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

juan

Jun 12, 2003, 11:06 PM

Post #1 of 4 (1699 views)

Shortcut

Guadalajara -Teotihuacan- Tajin

Can't Post |
Hello there,

We will be driving from guadalajara to veracruz and on the way there I found interesting sites that I would not want to miss, I think . I wanted to go from Guadalajara to veracruz avoding DF and by going north right before entering Df we could hit teotihuacan, right?

From Teotihuacan I can continue driving towards el tajin and papantla via Poza rica, right? My 2002 Guia roji shows a dotted line from tulancingo to Poza Rica. Is this road completed yet? And if not, how's the regular carretera?

Now, Is el Tajin and/or teotihuacan worth going all the way around how I described? We have never been to any ruins and were curious of doing this type of sight seeing.

Thanks

esperanza

Jun 13, 2003, 5:59 AM

Post #2 of 4 (1697 views)

Shortcut

Re: [juan] Guadalajara -Teotihuacan- Tajin

Can't Post | Private Reply
I know absolutely nothing about the route you described, but if it makes it possible for you to see Teotihuacan, by all means go. The ruins are unforgettable.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Joyce Kelly

Jun 13, 2003, 8:33 AM

Post #3 of 4 (1690 views)

Shortcut

By all means, visit El Tajin as well as Teotihuacan. Although El Tajin is not as large it has real beauty and an incredibly lovely setting.

Ed and Fran

Jun 13, 2003, 1:23 PM

Post #4 of 4 (1678 views)

Shortcut

Depends on what you like. In my opinion both Teotihuacan and El Tajin are well worth the time to visit (but I like that type of thing). I'd suggest trying to find a guide (if there are any available they usually hang around the ticket booths) as I feel you'll get more out of the visit.

You might want to get a hotel near Teotihuacan, because if you do a decent tour of the area you won't feel much like driving a long distance afterwards.

The new autopista is not finished all the way from Tulancingo to Poza. They open little stretches as they complete the work. My guess is that they are still a couple of years away from completion. The carretera is okay (condition wise) but very narrow and twisting. I'd hazard a guess that you could do the Teotihuacan - Tajin drive in 4 hours if you didn't hit any traffic problems. Might be better to allow 5. You'll want to be rested and alert. Lots of hotels available in Poza Rica. I'm sure there are some in Papantla, but I don't know any myself.

Hope you enjoy your trip,

E & F

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4