Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

alans727

Jun 10, 2003, 10:58 AM

Post #1 of 5 (745 views)

Shortcut

Ajijic vs. Morelia -- or am I starting a fight?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I notice that several of you the "experts" on giving advice to us novices who are wannabe retirees to Mexico. I love yout posts and articles. I have a few years to go and have been researching the Chapala and Ajijic areas. I notice that Ms. Rose lives in Morelia and wondered how that would compare to the other areas as it relates to cost of living, number of USA retirees, etc. It sounds lovely, but I don't here as much about it as the other places. What is the distance between Ajijic and Morelia? When I visit (within next 6-8 months, could I easily check out both places within a week or so (via cab)? Thanks for the information.
Alan Sheffield
Miami, Florida

esperanza

Jun 10, 2003, 8:29 PM

Post #2 of 5 (700 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alans727] Ajijic vs. Morelia -- or am I starting a fight?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Ajijic is a small town, population several thousand. Morelia is a large and cosmopolitan city, population more than a million. Ajijic has a good-size percentage of foreigners. Morelia has a substantially smaller foreign community.

There is no real way to compare the two. As for checking both out, you might want to allow more than a week.

The driving distance from Ajijic to Morelia (or vice versa, of course) is approximately 3 1/2 hours. You'd do better to take a bus than a taxi. There are abundant taxis to hire both in Ajijic and Morelia, once you're in either place.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

jennifer rose

Jun 10, 2003, 9:05 PM

Post #3 of 5 (696 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Ajijic vs. Morelia -- or am I starting a fight?

Can't Post |
I think I summed up my reasons for living in Morelia fairly well at http://mexconnect.com/...rose/jrmorelia1.html.

I'm not in the real estate business, but my sense is that housing costs are somewhat higher in Morelia than in Ajijic.

(This post was edited by jennifer rose on Jun 10, 2003, 9:15 PM)

Bubba

Jun 11, 2003, 1:59 PM

Post #4 of 5 (645 views)

Shortcut

Post deleted by Bubba |

Bubba

Jun 11, 2003, 2:28 PM

Post #5 of 5 (642 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Ajijic vs. Morelia -- or am I starting a fight?

Can't Post |
Ah, Morelia.

Fresno without the charm.

L.A. ambiance and traffic with the pollution but without the ocean or cultural advantages.

Regional chauvinism built upon accomplishments by those long deceased.

If one's goal is to gaze at ancient colonial buildings in the central city surrounded by pedestrian neighborhoods generally without grace while avoiding foreigners , I recommend Guatamala City. At least there you can escape to the lovely environs of Antigua a few miles down the road.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4