Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

alex .

Jun 10, 2003, 7:53 AM

Post #1 of 6 (1862 views)

Shortcut

the new anti-discrimination laws could get interesting

Can't Post | Private Reply
We've all seen the help wanted ads in the newspaper for a shop clerk or receptionist that reads " female, single, 17 to 24 years, buena presentación".
Alex

(This post was edited by alex . on Jun 10, 2003, 7:55 AM)

jrice

Jun 10, 2003, 6:44 PM

Post #2 of 6 (1815 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] the new anti-discrimination laws could get interesting

Try to find the enforcement section of the law.

As I read it, violators will be scolded. I might have missed something, though. It also bans discrimination on the basis of "social or economic condition." I think I can figure out the economic, but what is the first? Ser pende**?

raferguson

Jun 11, 2003, 11:23 AM

Post #3 of 6 (1781 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] the new anti-discrimination laws could get interesting

So Mexico passes a non-discrimination law, 40 years after the US, but omits any enforcement!

Some Mexicans claim that Mexico does not have a race problem, but look at any Mexican TV show, and compare the host and the guests to the audience. The host and guests will be very white, and the audience will be very mixed race, a range of colors. If there is a person of mixed race on stage, it is a member of the audience brought up for a game of some kind. Indians are more or less invisible on TV, except for La India, a white comedienne who plays a dumb Indian peasant woman. That kind of character went out in the US 30 or 40 years ago, along with Aunt Jemima. This is kind of a pet peeve of mine about Mexico.

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

Marlene

Jun 12, 2003, 8:44 PM

Post #4 of 6 (1751 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] the new anti-discrimination laws could get interesting

Right you are. In the travel business we can always instantly pick out the promotional videos done by the Mexican Tourism Department, as opposed to the ones produced by the northern tour operators promoting trips to Mexico. Night and day difference in what is perceived to "sell" Mexico.

Marlene

gpk

Jun 14, 2003, 6:22 PM

Post #5 of 6 (1706 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] the new anti-discrimination laws could get interesting

I would never defend the racism expressedby La India, but she was not dumb--the comedy was based on how she was much more clever than the non-Indians she dealt with.

alex .

Jun 16, 2003, 7:27 AM

Post #6 of 6 (1659 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpk]Maria India , que puntaría

The FUNNIEST thing about that show, at least in our household, is how that American speaks Spanish....and that he is understood!
Oh trah seervayza seenyoreeta pour fayver.
Alex

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4