Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

pat

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #1 of 8 (3575 views)

Shortcut

how much duty?

Can't Post |
 Can anyone give me an idea (percentage wise) how much duty I will have to pay if I bring my furniture and household goods into Mexico on a FMT? The consulate in San Antonio will not consider my income from rental property as "ongoing income"; and so my income falls short of the required amount for an FM3.

jennifer rose

Post #2 of 8 (3575 views)

Shortcut

how much duty?

Can't Post |
At the link below is shown what can be brought in under an FMT, and the applicable rates of duty. <p>Now, about qualifying for your FM-3. Depending upon where you plan to settle down in Mexico, as well as your time frame and the extent of your wordly effects and household goods, you may find it easier to zip on down to your destination, apply for the FM-3 here, and then head back home, with the FM-3 in hand, and ask the Mexican Consulate for the permit to temporarily import your household goods.<p>

Bill

Post #3 of 8 (3573 views)

Shortcut

how much duty?

Can't Post |
: At the link below is shown what can be brought in under an FMT, and the applicable rates of duty. <p>: Now, about qualifying for your FM-3. Depending upon where you plan to settle down in Mexico, as well as your time frame and the extent of your wordly effects and household goods, you may find it easier to zip on down to your destination, apply for the FM-3 here, and then head back home, with the FM-3 in hand, and ask the Mexican Consulate for the permit to temporarily import your household goods.<p>Jennifer -- that link did not connect. Was it just the wrong time of day or some other glitch?

pat

Post #4 of 8 (3570 views)

Shortcut

how much duty?

Can't Post |
Jennifer,
Are you saying that the "ongoing income" requirements are not as strict in Mexico? To be more specific; in Morelia? I'll be heading for Patzcuaro with a houseful of furniture and belongings.

Cynthia

Post #5 of 8 (3572 views)

Shortcut

how much duty?

Can't Post |
Pat: I always used the rental income on my property as part of my income requirement when I first got my FM3. I think that most Mexicans don't really know about mortgages, so they didn't realize that the contract I was showing on my house in the US (which I was renting out) was really going to pay my mortgage. My suggestion is to try another consulate in Texas if the San Antonio one says no. (I was told no by the Philly consulate initially, but got an FM3 in Boston in one day.) The first FM3 is only good for six months, and then you have to renew it anyway, which you can do in Mexico. Or, do as Jennifer says, and go to Mexico to get the FM3 and then return to the States for your stuff. Cynthia<p>Jennifer,
: Are you saying that the "ongoing income" requirements are not as strict in Mexico? To be more specific; in Morelia? I'll be heading for Patzcuaro with a houseful of furniture and belongings.<p>

pat

Post #6 of 8 (3571 views)

Shortcut

how much duty?

Can't Post |
: Cynthia, Thank You. You have given me another good idea, such as a long term contract or lease of some sort. I have no mortgage, so that would not be a problem. And I can also try the Houston consulate. Thanx, Pat.

Cynthia

Post #7 of 8 (3573 views)

Shortcut

6 months?

Can't Post |
: Hi Cynthia<p>: Who said your first FM3 is good for only six months? I have never heard that from anyone. Mine wasn't.<p>I got my first FM3 in Boston, like I said. It had to be renewed in 6 months, and then after that, yearly. I got my daughter's (dependent) Fm3 issued in Mexico. It was also for 6 months the first time, and then renewable. Same with friends who got theirs in Chiapas. Maybe becuase this is Chiapas?? I never questioned it--assumed (and you know what they say about assuming stuff!) that it was the same everywhere. Silly me...this is Mexico, after all! THe nice thing was the migracion people in CHiapas changed the time frame so that I was able to renew yearly together...

Rolly

Nov 30, 1919, 6:00 AM

Post #8 of 8 (3572 views)

Shortcut

6 months?

Can't Post |
Hi Cynthia<p>Who said your first FM3 is good for only six months? I have never heard that from anyone. Mine wasn't.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4