Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

mstack

May 29, 2003, 7:08 PM

Post #1 of 15 (2333 views)

Shortcut

Vehicle Permit for Bank-Owned Vehicle

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hola. My wife and I are planning to drive to the interior of Mexico in July via Laredo. We've had our car since 1999, but we are still paying it off. In regards to obtaining a vehicle permit, I've seen conflicting information on whether or not we need a permission letter from the lienholder. The Banjercito website mentions only that we need a copy of the vehicle contract and registration. On the phone, someone told me that I do in fact need a letter...I've also read this in many books. I did a search of these forums, and in October someone wrote that agents in Laredo said the letter is not necessary. Has anyone been through Laredo recently that would know if the letter is necessary? Have the regulations changed, or are they just not enforced uniformly? Any info would be appreciated!!!

Rolly

May 29, 2003, 7:48 PM

Post #2 of 15 (2326 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mstack] Vehicle Permit for Bank-Owned Vehicle

I have no personal experience, but I have heard/read of people who have not been asked for a letter and people who have been asked. I had a similar experience with bringing a dog to Mexico via Laredo -- various government web sites listed different requirements. When I got to the border no one said a word about the dog, so I told one of the customs agents that I had a dog. He said "That's OK. We don't care."

The moral of this story: You won't know whether you need the letter until you get to the car registration desk. You'd be wise to have one if there is anything on the car's registration card that indicates there is a lien on the car. If the registration card does not say there is a lien, the customs guys in Mexico will have no way of knowing about it.

Rolly Pirate

Ed and Fran

May 30, 2003, 4:59 AM

Post #3 of 15 (2317 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Vehicle Permit for Bank-Owned Vehicle

I believe it is a question of the regulation not being uniformly enforced (so what else is new down here?). When we got our last permit (December) and crossed at McAllen, the letter was still listed as a required item. We had one, but it wasn't notarized (they're supposed to be notarized), so I didn't offer it up with the copies of the other documents. I held it in my pocket figuring that if they asked for it I'd work my way through the issue of lack of the notary seal. But they never asked, even though our title does indicate a lienholder.

You'd be well advised to get such a letter from your bank. It's not usually a big deal for them to write one.

Your mileage may vary,

Ed and Fran

mstack

May 30, 2003, 9:57 AM

Post #4 of 15 (2301 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] Vehicle Permit for Bank-Owned Vehicle

Thanks for the info. Now I find out that the bank is telling us they will only give us permission to take it for 90 days, and we're not so sure we'll be back in that time period. If the letter says 90 days, do you think the Banjercito will limit me to a 90 day permit (as oppossed to the 180 day one I was planning to ask for)? I guess my best bet is to get the letter, hope Banjercito doesn't ask for it, and ask for a 180 day permit, huh?

Ed and Fran

May 30, 2003, 1:46 PM

Post #5 of 15 (2294 views)

Shortcut

Now that you mention it, the letter from my bank had a similar limitation and that was another reason I didn't want to show the letter. Yes, I agree with your strategy.

Two other tips while we're at it:

1. Getting to the border crossing of your choice early in the morning usually leads to shorter lines at the permit window.

2. Don't get frustrated/upset if it seems to take a long time for the clerk to fill the paperwork out. It won't do anything to speed things up.

Suerte,

Ed

johnlap1

Jun 1, 2003, 2:56 PM

Post #6 of 15 (2271 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
September last year we drove to Oaxaca from San Diego. We did get the 90 day notarized permission from the lien holder and presented it to Banjercito several days prior to crossing. We had NO problem with the 180 day permit! I would not under any circumstances withhold required information from the legal authorities. We carry 3 copies of all documentation, including passports, in our vehicle while in Mexico. On several occasions we have visited Mexican jails and prisons to assisted people who "bent" the law. Believe me you wouldn't like to be a "guest" in such a facility. John

bryngerta

Jun 5, 2003, 3:17 PM

Post #7 of 15 (2242 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johnlap1] Vehicle Permit for Bank-Owned Vehicle

what about insurance for such a lien-held vehicle? if my parents are driving with me to mexico in july, where i will be moving, and they are staying for 30 days, then do they have to buy mexican insurance to have their car there in guadalajara and drive from here to there?

thanks for all of your help!

brynna

jennifer rose

Jun 5, 2003, 3:22 PM

Post #8 of 15 (2239 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bryngerta] Vehicle Permit for Bank-Owned Vehicle

Can't Post |
Yes.

Whether there's a lien on the vehicle or not, American insurance coverage will be no good in Mexico. If the drivers desire coverage while in the Mexican Republic, they'll need to obtain Mexican insurance. And most policy applications request the name of the lienholder.

Rolly

Jun 5, 2003, 3:27 PM

Post #9 of 15 (2237 views)

Shortcut

Yes, they will need Mexican car insurance. Their USA insurance is not valid in Mexico. They should check with their own company; some US insurance companies have arrangements with Mexican insurance companies. If they belong to AAA, they may be able to get a Mexican policy from them. Otherwise, there many companies with offices in border towns that sell short-term trip insurance for Mexico.

Rolly Pirate

johnlap1

Jun 5, 2003, 4:34 PM

Post #10 of 15 (2230 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I'll echo the other replys. The answer is YES!!!! To drive leagally in Mexico you must have auto insurance through a company licensed to do business in Mexico. In order to get your permit to drive below the zona frontiera (sp) you must show proof of Mexican coverage. If you don't have insurance and get into an accident you go to jail until you post the bond necessary to cover costs of accident even if you are not at fault. Check with AAA about a 30/60 day policy. To show you how important insurance is I carry an annual policy and we're only in Mexico 1/2 months a year. john

bryngerta

Jun 11, 2003, 10:33 PM

Post #11 of 15 (2201 views)

Shortcut

thanks for the replies re: the insurance while my parents are driving me to mexico. what about an international driver's license? do i need one to drive in mexico if i am living there for school?

johnlap1

Jun 12, 2003, 11:15 AM

Post #12 of 15 (2184 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
No, your US license is fine unless you become a perminant resident. International licenses are fine but not needed. Enjoy your schooling-what is your major?

John

bryngerta

Jun 12, 2003, 11:18 AM

Post #13 of 15 (2183 views)

Shortcut

I am going into my first year as a medical student at Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara and have heard so many horror stories about not following ALL of the rules precisely... I don't want to become one of those numbers and really want to take my car. Thanks for the input!

moisheh

Jun 14, 2003, 6:55 PM

Post #14 of 15 (2162 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Johnlap: You are giving good advice, BUT it is not illegal to drive without insurance. Just foolhardy

jennifer rose

Jun 14, 2003, 7:02 PM

Post #15 of 15 (2160 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |

In Reply To
No, your US license is fine unless you become a permanent resident.

Not quite. A U.S. (or other license corresponding to the importer country of origin and the car's plates) is required for those who temporarily import a motor vehicle. For those who purchase and drive Mexican vehicles, a Mexican license is required, and that's without regard to the permanency of the driver's residence. Rental cars, of course, are entirely another issue.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4