Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

Rolly

May 24, 2003, 2:36 PM

Post #1 of 4 (1727 views)

Shortcut

Building Project Update for24May 2003

Can't Post | Private Reply
Electrical, shower tile, plumbing and the sewer line. A little something for everyone this week.

Ruben and I have all the switch plates and receptacles mounted and wired. We have started on testing and trouble shooting -- several wiring errors on the ceiling fans. We still have to run lines to the air conditioners, water pumps and TV antennas on the roof.

Iniz and Nanny have completed tiling three of four showers. When the showers are done, they will begin work on the bathroom walls.

Enrique has the main water lines run and tested to the front wall ready to be extended on to the street for the city crew to connect to the water main. Manolo has completed the sewer line out to the street ready for the city to hookup to the main line. Now he has begun laying the brick pavers in the back walkway.

We were quite pleasantly surprised when Enrique went to the water department to get instructions for mounting and connecting the water meters. It turns out that if a house does not have a garden/lawn, a water meter is not required. The charge will be the monthly minimum of $80 pesos.

The city will charge us about $3,000 pesos (US$300) to cut the trench in the street, connect the sewer line and the four water lines. We have a common sewer line and four separate water lines.

This week's website update is all about the strange sewer system as required by the city. It's unlike anything I have seen in the USA. www.Rollybrook.com/05-24-03.htm

Rolly Pirate

ET

May 24, 2003, 3:42 PM

Post #2 of 4 (1721 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Building Project Update for24May 2003

....The city will charge us about $3,000 pesos (US$300) to cut the trench in the street, connect the sewer line and the four water lines. We have a common sewer line and four separate water lines.....

I'm dying. Last fall, after several years of stoppages and rooter jobs, the terra-cotta sewer line between my house and the city's main gave in to the relentless pressure of the 50 year-old tree a few feet away. Several estimates were obtained, with the plumbing contractors telling me how lucky I was to be living in a municipality which permitted sewer laterals to be replaced with continuously welded polyethylene piping, which could be dragged into place using a mandrel and hydraulic winch assembly ("pipe bursting") which eliminated the need to trench the entire distance (holes still had to be dug to make the connections at the house and city main). The cost for the 100 foot run, with all the connections, permits, and sprinkling of not-so-holy water was $3,500 USD, and it didn't even add a penny of value to the house.....

(This post was edited by ET on May 24, 2003, 3:44 PM)

Rolly

May 24, 2003, 4:10 PM

Post #3 of 4 (1714 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ET] Building Project Update for24May 2003

Hi ET,

UGH! Where was this? USA or Mexico?

PS: The cost was so 'high' because we have four water lines to connect. If it had been only the sewer and one water, the price would have been about 1800 pesos.

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on May 24, 2003, 4:14 PM)

ET

May 24, 2003, 4:28 PM

Post #4 of 4 (1710 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Building Project Update for24May 2003

UGH! Where was this? USA or Mexico?

USofA. Left-hand coast.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4