Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

carolina

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #1 of 10 (4111 views)

Shortcut

Help..need advice on how to move within Mexico

Can't Post |
We want to move from Puerto Escondido to Zihuatenejo, a ten hour drive...have accumulated an amazing collection of stuff we would like to take with us rather than have to replace. Has anyone had experience moving within Mexico? How to contact a moving company? Cost? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Carol

Post #2 of 10 (4106 views)

Shortcut

Question

Can't Post |
May I ask why you are moving from Puerto Escondido? We are considering buying land there? Thanks
: We want to move from Puerto Escondido to Zihuatenejo, a ten hour drive...have accumulated an amazing collection of stuff we would like to take with us rather than have to replace. Has anyone had experience moving within Mexico? How to contact a moving company? Cost? Any advice would be much appreciated.<p>

carolina

Post #3 of 10 (4102 views)

Shortcut

answer to Carols question

Can't Post |
Economic reasons. With tourism way down, no work for a professional musician. Puerto is great for vacation/retirement for sure. A word of warning re buying land, check out the title carefully, many problems here on the Zicatela side with land fraud.

Andy in Monterrey

Post #4 of 10 (4106 views)

Shortcut

You also might want to check out a paqueteria

Can't Post |
I am moving from Monterrey to Aguascalientes at the end of July. I checked out the rates from the Estrella Blanca paqueteria and found their rates to be cheaper than that of a mundanza, provided I could find someone to transport the goods to and from the paqueteria. There is also a possibility that the paqueteria can store your goods for up to thirty days at your destination.<p>: We want to move from Puerto Escondido to Zihuatenejo, a ten hour drive...have accumulated an amazing collection of stuff we would like to take with us rather than have to replace. Has anyone had experience moving within Mexico? How to contact a moving company? Cost? Any advice would be much appreciated.<p>

carolina

Post #5 of 10 (4102 views)

Shortcut

excellent suggestion Andy

Can't Post |
This really makes sense. For one thing there is no mudanza company here so you need to round up a privately owned truck. I did ship some boxes from DF to Oaxaca and it was reasonable. We are thinking now the most practical thing is likely sell all the large items and box up the rest.

BillBenn

Post #6 of 10 (4104 views)

Shortcut

Andy, could you describe what a Paquetena is ? ...

Can't Post |
and give examples of its services, type of transportation, etc.<p>
: I am moving from Monterrey to Aguascalientes at the end of July. I checked out the rates from the Estrella Blanca paqueteria and found their rates to be cheaper than that of a mundanza, provided I could find someone to transport the goods to and from the paqueteria. There is also a possibility that the paqueteria can store your goods for up to thirty days at your destination.<p>: : We want to move from Puerto Escondido to Zihuatenejo, a ten hour drive...have accumulated an amazing collection of stuff we would like to take with us rather than have to replace. Has anyone had experience moving within Mexico? How to contact a moving company? Cost? Any advice would be much appreciated.<p>

Andy in Monterrey

Post #7 of 10 (4104 views)

Shortcut

Andy, could you describe what a Paquetena is ? ...

Can't Post |
A paqueteria is a package delivery service. In the case of the Estrella Blanca paqueteria, they use trucks and will even deliver furniture. The Estrella Blanca group also owns the largest group of bus lines in Mexico, such as Transportes del Norte, Futura, Turistar Ejecutivo, etc. They will even come to your house to pick up the goods (however, you will have to move your goods out to the street) and deliver them to the door of the house you are moving to. You can also save money if you have friends in Mexico that have pick-up trucks that can move your things to and from the office of the paqueteria. Another advantage of this type of service is that, in my case, I would not have to wait for more than three days for my goods to be delivered to my new destination. <p>: and give examples of its services, type of transportation, etc.<p>:
: : I am moving from Monterrey to Aguascalientes at the end of July. I checked out the rates from the Estrella Blanca paqueteria and found their rates to be cheaper than that of a mundanza, provided I could find someone to transport the goods to and from the paqueteria. There is also a possibility that the paqueteria can store your goods for up to thirty days at your destination.<p>: : : We want to move from Puerto Escondido to Zihuatenejo, a ten hour drive...have accumulated an amazing collection of stuff we would like to take with us rather than have to replace. Has anyone had experience moving within Mexico? How to contact a moving company? Cost? Any advice would be much appreciated.<p>

Ed

Post #8 of 10 (4105 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Has anyone had experience moving within Mexico? How to contact a moving company? Cost? Any advice would be much appreciated.<p>
Hopefully someone with more specific knowledge of your area will respond, but in the meantime I'll relate our experience. We made three in-country moves (could count as four as the first one had the shipment split with part going into long term storage and joining us later). Our view was that the moves went ok with very little damage and general adherence to schedule.<p>We generally just got out our local phonebook and looked under 'Mudanza'. Our choices were somewhat limited because we were usually looking for someone with storage capability, which cut down the options drastically (and when we found someone with a "warehouse" it wasn't what you'd expect north of the border. One partial shipment was handled by the company who went through "Tres Banderas", a moving company out of Mexico City.<p>Don't remember exact prices, but it was definitely less than what we were expecting to be charged. My recollection was that Tres Banderas charged a bit more for the part they did, but they were a bit more professional, and they probably knew that it was a company paid move.<p>Your mileage may vary...............<p>

BillBenn

Post #9 of 10 (4109 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Hi,
Although I am not sure where you are moving from/to, let
me tell you what some friends did - moving from
Austin, TX to San Miguel de Allende, using a Mexican moving company. Their move can
be summarized to two steps:<p>1) They packed, boxed, etc. themselves using good
quality boxes, tape, bubble wrap & so fourth, similar
to what professional packers do. Then they moved
their stuff into a storage facility. Their
household consisted of about 12,000 lbs. in my
estimation.<p>2) They found a Mexican mover in SMA who owned a
large, 24' box truck & made the following deal with
him. He sent his crew(3 guys) to Austin, met the
owners at the storage facility, loaded the truck, &
brought it across the border & on to the warehouse in
SMA. This turn-key total service was to be provided
for $ 2000 U.S. and included the expertise(?$) of his
crew in passing the border, assuming the M de C was in
proper order. Anyway, things went as I described above,
with the 3 movers loading the cargo into their
truck at Austin, and crossing the border. I will skip the details of crossing the border & the minor problems there.
Well, the 3 mover guys took the cargo on to SMA just as promised, and my
friend tipped them each(generously, I suppose). Total
cost to my friend was $ 2500, plus whatever he tipped
the crew. Very reasonable, in my estimation.<p>The real moral to this story is that Mexican Movers
CAN come into the US to pick up your stuff, & do it
sucessfully, if they are really experienced Movers,
not some Jake-Leg bunch. Of course, as you have probably guessed, this moving company came
highly recommended by other folks in SMA, which
imparted confidence in my friend that they would
perform, as originally agreed.<p>I would suggest that you utilize your
contacts in Mexico, to accomplish this move.<p><p>: Has anyone had experience moving within Mexico? How to contact a moving company? Cost? Any advice would be much appreciated.<p>:
: Hopefully someone with more specific knowledge of your area will respond, but in the meantime I'll relate our experience. We made three in-country moves (could count as four as the first one had the shipment split with part going into long term storage and joining us later). Our view was that the moves went ok with very little damage and general adherence to schedule.<p>: We generally just got out our local phonebook and looked under 'Mudanza'. Our choices were somewhat limited because we were usually looking for someone with storage capability, which cut down the options drastically (and when we found someone with a "warehouse" it wasn't what you'd expect north of the border. One partial shipment was handled by the company who went through "Tres Banderas", a moving company out of Mexico City.<p>: Don't remember exact prices, but it was definitely less than what we were expecting to be charged. My recollection was that Tres Banderas charged a bit more for the part they did, but they were a bit more professional, and they probably knew that it was a company paid move.<p>: Your mileage may vary...............<p>

carolina

Post #10 of 10 (4102 views)

Shortcut

thanks for the moving advice

Can't Post |
Appreciate your replies.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4