Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

alice

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #1 of 7 (1952 views)

Shortcut

fm3

Can't Post |
We are planning a move to Chapala area this fall. Seattle Consulate says we need $1500 per month income for the 2 of us. Chicago says twice that. Instructions are that Minnesotans must work with Chicago. What do the authorities in Mexico say? There is no site for Mexican Embassy. In fact it seems to be for sale. Information appreciated.

brenda

Post #2 of 7 (1951 views)

Shortcut

Alice

Can't Post |
I encountered the same thing w/ the Chicago consulate. Actually, it was hard trying to convince them I could get an FM3 being 33 years old. I finally gave up and decided to get my FM3 in MX later this year.<p>Living in Minneapolis doesn't give you many FM3 options. You would think we would have a consulate considering our large Mexican population, but I guess not. I think there is one for Costa Rico, but I am not going there:)<p>happy travels!

Rolly

Post #3 of 7 (1954 views)

Shortcut

fm3

Can't Post |
In the wonderful world of Mexican government regulations, each consulate is allowed to make their own rules for granting an FM3. However, there is a way around the Chicago problem. Come down here on a regular tourist visa (FMT) and apply for your FM3 in Mexico where the required income is lower – about US$1,700 for a couple. Be sure to bring all the required documents.<p>This scheme has one drawback – you can’t get a menaje de casa with an FMT. After you get your FM3, you’ll have to go back to Chicago to the consulate to get your menaje in order to bring your household goods into Mexico without paying an import duty. It is also, and this is important, the only way you can bring a used desktop computer.<p>Hope this helps.<p>

Georgia

Post #4 of 7 (1956 views)

Shortcut

Not entirely true - here's a way around the problem, Rolly

Can't Post |
Rolly is right -- if the income amount doesn't fit, get your FM-3 in Mexico. But what about that menaje de casa? Hire a mover experienced in international moves. Supply him, before you leave, with a list -- in Spanish -- of what you are moving. Put your things in storage for a little while and when you get your FM-3, FedEx copies of it to the mover. If he is experienced in international USA/Mexico moves, he will take care of everything and you won't have to make a return trip.<p>: In the wonderful world of Mexican government regulations, each consulate is allowed to make their own rules for granting an FM3. However, there is a way around the Chicago problem. Come down here on a regular tourist visa (FMT) and apply for your FM3 in Mexico where the required income is lower – about US$1,700 for a couple. Be sure to bring all the required documents.<p>: This scheme has one drawback – you can’t get a menaje de casa with an FMT. After you get your FM3, you’ll have to go back to Chicago to the consulate to get your menaje in order to bring your household goods into Mexico without paying an import duty. It is also, and this is important, the only way you can bring a used desktop computer.<p>: Hope this helps.<p>

Russell Kveton

Post #5 of 7 (1949 views)

Shortcut

Mayflower International - has been recommended >>>

Can't Post |
I recall by several posters on these boards in the past, and I think the experiences they related were positive. Here is the URL.

Rolly

Post #6 of 7 (1952 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
:But what about that menaje de casa? Hire a mover experienced in international moves. Supply him, before you leave, with a list -- in Spanish -- of what you are moving. Put your things in storage for a little while and when you get your FM-3, FedEx copies of it to the mover. If he is experienced in international USA/Mexico moves, he will take care of everything and you won't have to make a return trip<p>
Hi Georgia,<p>I've read this before, and I'm a bit puzzled. When I did my move from Los Angeles, I interviewed a bunch of movers, and no one said anything about their doing the menaje. Did you move to Mexico that way? Who was the moving company?<p>Thanks,<p>Rolly

DavidG

Post #7 of 7 (1953 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
 We used Mayflower and we didn't need to supply them with a list of anything in Spanish. One of the processes of working with any mover IS, they make a detailed list, or INVENTORY of everything on their own inventory forms. They make this list 'on the spot' as they load the truck. This is what you have to sign and this is the list that you will use to check against on the receiving end to make sure you are not missing anything (we weren't missing anything). This list is what is known as a MANIFEST. I made my own list beforehand because I thought I was going to need to get it translated to Spanish etc. My list was more descriptive than theirs. My list was detailed with the contents of each box (my list came in very handy on the unpacking end so I would know which room to send each box_. Their list was very general like; "1-box of kitchen utensils' etc. They took the list they made with them on the truck and headed to the border. We left the next day. Our drive took 7 days. When we arrived in Cozumel the truck was already calling us to deliver the load. Maybe they translated the list while they were driving in the truck. Or maybe Mayfower had provided a VERY GENERAL list ahead of time. I don't really know what happened behind the scenes. I just know it was entirely painless. I had been agonizing many months before, about how I was going to accomplish all of the dreaded menaje details. In the end I ended up just signing my name on the Manifest and away they went. Oh yeah, and pay my money. <p>Using the moving company probably cost me more, but I'll never regret the painless part.<p>DavidG<p>I do know the entire truck was unloaded and reloaded at Customs.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4