Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

Rolly

May 11, 2003, 10:29 AM

Post #1 of 5 (4431 views)

Shortcut

Building Project Update for 10 May 2003

Can't Post | Private Reply
We've been in a Spring heat wave -- over 100f (40c) every day this week. I don't see how the guys can take the afternoon heat. I try to get to the job around 7AM, and I'm out of there by noon.

Enrique and/or I made 8 trips to various stores for material – that’s a little less than usual. Ruben and I made a trash run to the town dump. That was interesting and smelly – more damn flies than I ever saw in one place.

This week we got the main electrical lines run from the breaker boxes in the utility rooms to the front wall where the electric meters will be. More ceiling fans are up. Coco installed window screens for two more units; only his own house is without screens.

All the floor tile is done and three and a half kitchens have counter tile. Showers and bathroom walls are next.

All the painting inside and out is done. There are a few touchups to take care of.

I think we witnessed a miracle this week. We found another door maker who promised to do the 4 interior doors in Martha's house in ten days. He told us on Friday that he would come on Monday, a day early, to install the doors.

The ladies are still clamoring to more in by the end of this month. A couple of them have bought some new furniture and had it delivered to the job. There is no way the houses will be finished. We may have water and power, but all the cabinetry will not be done, and there will probably not be front doors.

Stay tuned.

This week's pictures are at www.rollybrook.com/05-10-03.htm

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on May 11, 2003, 10:31 AM)

ET

May 11, 2003, 11:26 AM

Post #2 of 5 (4423 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Building Project Update for 10 May 2003

Thanks again for the continued string of updates and information!

A couple of idle curiosity questions arose from looking at a couple of this weeks photos, showing the guys pushing/pulling electrical service wiring.

1. Are each of the four units on a separate meter and distribution system (breaker panel and the like)?

2. From various photos it looks like wired utilities (electricity, phone, and cable) are delivered above ground, and that you're taking them underground at the property line/point of entrance?

3. Is that Schedule 40 PVC they're pulling the electrical service lines through?

Thanks, ET

Rolly

May 11, 2003, 12:02 PM

Post #3 of 5 (4421 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ET] Building Project Update for 10 May 2003

1. Yes

2. The power goes under ground -- actually just under the brick pavers. There is no plan to connect to telephone or cable at this time. If either is installed in the future, it will probably go to the untility room above ground. The house is wired for that future possibility. For now, each building will be served by a rooftop TV antenna.

3. I don't know

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on May 11, 2003, 12:12 PM)

tntex

May 12, 2003, 2:21 PM

Post #4 of 5 (4394 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Building Project Update for 10 May 2003

When will open house be? You know where people come and bring a house warming gift and you serve refreshments. Hope I am in Mexico for the big event. I have watch your progress from the start and I have enjoyed every post that you have made... Thanks
tntex

Rolly

May 12, 2003, 3:00 PM

Post #5 of 5 (4390 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tntex] Building Project Update for 10 May 2003

I wish I knew. The pressure is growing for the families to move in at the end of this month whether it's finished or not. We may end up having a premature open house in early June. I hope they'll wait at least until we have front doors. But we are dealing with three very determined ladies, so who knows?

Rolly Pirate

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4